iPad2: 9.7 inch screen, 1024x768 pixels, 132ppi
    PB: 7 inch screen, 1024 x 600 pixels, 167ppi

So the iPad2 has 28% more pixels than the PB. But the iPad2's screen resolution is lower, so its screen size is indeed twice the size in square inches/centimeters (105% larger by my calculation, assuming square pixels on both displays).
    I don't think screen resolution is that big of a deal when trying to read content on a tablet; the size of the fonts is. A larger-screened device is better in that regard.

If the original poster had said portability, sturdiness, and bang for the buck were big factors, I definitely would have recommended the Playbook over the iPad. IMO, recommending the PlayBook over the iPad, based on the original poster's needs, would be similar to a carrier representative recommending a non-BlackBerry (especially an iPhone or most Windows Phones) over a Blackberry when the customer says texting and quick messaging notifications are his/her most critical needs.
    07-13-12 08:55 AM
    I love how some people only dropped on with one-liners saying "Get the Ipad".

If you think he should get the ipad, by all means, thats fine. But help him understand why. I want the OP to get as much info as he can from both sides to help him with his decision. Thats all that matters.

But just "Get the ipad" is pathetic. I know you can do better.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using CrackBerry Forums App/Tapatalk
    07-13-12 09:03 AM
    The WiFi BlackBerry PlayBook coupled via BlackBerry Bridge with a BlackBerry smartphone is a winning combination for the OP's stated requirements and use case. Seriously, BlackBerry Bridge is a brilliant decision on the part of Research In Motion.
    His stated use case is in the home - what advantage does bridge and coupling to a slower mobile BB connection provide when he could just connect a tablet to his home wifi?
    07-13-12 09:09 AM
    If you're invested in Apple stuff, I'd recommend the iPad. You'll be stuck in their eco-system, but it's huge.

If you have a BB phone, get the PB, and then learn the art of side-loading Android apps.
    07-13-12 09:16 AM
    His stated use case is in the home - what advantage does bridge and coupling to a slower mobile BB connection provide when he could just connect a tablet to his home wifi?
    No one likes to bring their tablet outside the home? They're made to be very portable, and even if you plan on buying it just for the home, after using it a while, you're most probably going to want to expand on that front. It IS a big deal, stop trying to downplay it. It's an enormous advantage, and brings that many more possibilities and options to the end user.
    07-13-12 09:35 AM
    I waited until 6 months after launch to pick up a PB. Many reviews were unflattering; others said diamond in the rough; etc. Etc. Etc. This board has all the historical stuff. I did my homework and it seemed to do what I needed. Was easy to avoid the iPad because my kids have ipods and iTunes was not an option for me. Looked at android and was underwhelmed. Try out the PB and return it if you don't like it.

28C in the middle of nowhere Canada lying in full sun with sunglasses on and postkng through a bridged BB. Best $248 I ever spent!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-13-12 09:41 AM
    I love my pb. That said, I would never just tell someone to buy one. You need to try both tabs and see which one best fits your needs. My son has an iPad and loves it. I can't stand the UI. If you can get to a store that has working units, definitely go play before you buy. Good luck!
    07-13-12 12:14 PM
    Well, I have both. I bought my playbook about 6 months ago for $ 199.00 ( 16GB ) and was using a iPad 1 as well at the time, since then I have picked up an iPad 2 and use both th PB and iPad2 every night at home. I have to honestly say as much as I want to love my playbook it just isn't up to the iPads standards. I am running 2.1 and have issues with the browser freezing and apps that just are not that great. I love the PB looks and feel and but as I said it's just not that great. If all I had was $200.00 I would get the PB but for an extra $ 159.00 you can pick up a iPad ( Microcenter $ 359.00 ) and enjoy the larger screen size and much more refined experience. Side note QNX is really sweet I just wish the browser was better!!
    07-13-12 12:33 PM
    For the OPs set of needs, I think he'd be happy with a Playbook. It's definitely not the best tablet for everyone depending on what you want to do with it, but it seems to fit the needs listed nicely.

I am mainly an apple product user are well (15 years), like the OP, and like my Playbook quite a bit. The main issue is one that is not going to be solved anytime soon though, and that is that I can't run a few apps that I consider important for my every day usage. Because of this, the Playbook may end up going to my girlfriend who uses a Blackberry and would be totally content with it's feature set, and I may end up with a Nexus. Hardware is not the big concern for my needs, being able to run that apps I want to run is. Different needs for different people.
    07-13-12 01:19 PM
    Thanks to all who responded. Every comment was taken with great consideration. I am leaning towards the PB 64G over the IPad2 64G. The PB unit / screen size has an advantage in portability, as well as thumb typing. The Ipad size has an advantage in viewing pics / videos, etc... The one advantage when at home, if using the IPad2, is Itunes and AppleTV....if your browsing through your Itunes library on the IPad2, see a track you want to play, tap it and it will play through your home AV system (via AppleTV) and the same goes for videos / movies. I work more than I play at home, so I can definitely use the bridge while running around the house getting ready for work, answering / responding to emails, calendar use, etc... At $299 for a 64G PB, not a bad price to test out and try for a few months. Worse case is I love it for work, but may need the Ipad for play at home. Thanks again to all!
    07-13-12 02:56 PM
    Thanks to all who responded. Every comment was taken with great consideration. I am leaning towards the PB 64G over the IPad2 64G. The PB unit / screen size has an advantage in portability, as well as thumb typing. The Ipad size has an advantage in viewing pics / videos, etc... The one advantage when at home, if using the IPad2, is Itunes and AppleTV....if your browsing through your Itunes library on the IPad2, see a track you want to play, tap it and it will play through your home AV system (via AppleTV) and the same goes for videos / movies. I work more than I play at home, so I can definitely use the bridge while running around the house getting ready for work, answering / responding to emails, calendar use, etc... At $299 for a 64G PB, not a bad price to test out and try for a few months. Worse case is I love it for work, but may need the Ipad for play at home. Thanks again to all!
    Photos will be better with playbook than ipad 2, and they have the same resolution however the smaller playbook screen means it will look much better.
    07-14-12 11:15 AM
    bought my 4th PB recently.

made Apple and Nexus to go for 7"'s either
    07-14-12 11:24 AM
    Ya it's hard to explain how great Airplay on an iOS device or Mac combined with an Apple TV is to people who haven't used it, but it's fantastic.
    07-14-12 03:32 PM
    Ya it's hard to explain how great Airplay on an iOS device or Mac combined with an Apple TV is to people who haven't used it, but it's fantastic.
    Does everything have to be done through iTunes when its not jailbraked?
    07-14-12 05:03 PM
    Maybe so, but is it really worth all that cash? You're up to $1000 right there... It's not even about people who "can't afford Apple products", it's just plain expensive.

All that money and it still only does 720p on the ipad2 ..just saying... It doesn't make much sense to me financially.
    07-14-12 10:42 PM
    Does everything have to be done through iTunes when its not jailbraked?
    Apps can support Airplay too. More of them are starting to.
    07-15-12 04:01 AM
    double post
    Last edited by torndownunit; 07-15-12 at 04:09 AM.
    07-15-12 04:04 AM
    Maybe so, but is it really worth all that cash? You're up to $1000 right there... It's not even about people who "can't afford Apple products", it's just plain expensive.

All that money and it still only does 720p on the ipad2 ..just saying... It doesn't make much sense to me financially.
    The OP already owns an ATV2 and uses it. One of his questions revolves around it. He's asking about what tablet is best for him, and Airplay was a feature he really likes. But he's not looking at spending $1000 to get an iPad, nor $1000 even to get an iPad AND and ATV3 even if he was buying both.

And my point was, if you already own Apple devices, an ATV is is great. It's a $100 device that allows you to watch or listen to anything from all your devices on your TV with a press of a button. Airplay is a great feature and it's in every iOS and Apple product (and a lot of apps). You don't HAVE to spend $1000 to use it. You can use it on an iPod touch and ATV2 if you want.

None of the 1080p stuff is overly relevant to the users post, I am only addressing your point. The new ATV3 does play 1080p. Both iOS6 and Mountain Lion will stream 1080p through Airplay and stream normally through the device.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 07-15-12 at 10:03 AM.
    07-15-12 04:11 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD