OK, I'm a consumer and not a business person. I want to stick with bb and my grandfathered plan.

This is not strictly about the playbook.

I would like a tab that I can tether my bb to for internet (yes I'm aware of charges bla bla). I don't care about having a native email client, or even getting my bb info displayed on it since I don't hardly even use my phone for email.

I just want something smaller and easier to tote around than my laptop that I can surf on, go into chat rooms that I like (not sure if they use flash or java or whatever), use my IMing programs etc. Would be nice to have a usb port.

Which of the tabs will work for this? I'm thinking I'd prefer the 7" screen but might change my mind after actually seeing and playing with one. Oh I'm not interested in a ipad either for my own reasons, I'm sure it's good but it isn't for me.

I didn't know where else to post so if the mods want to move it please do.

Thanks for insight or thoughts.
    03-31-11 04:40 PM
    OK, I'm a consumer and not a business person. I want to stick with bb and my grandfathered plan.

This is not strictly about the playbook.

I would like a tab that I can tether my bb to for internet (yes I'm aware of charges bla bla). I don't care about having a native email client, or even getting my bb info displayed on it since I don't hardly even use my phone for email.

I just want something smaller and easier to tote around than my laptop that I can surf on, go into chat rooms that I like (not sure if they use flash or java or whatever), use my IMing programs etc. Would be nice to have a usb port.

Which of the tabs will work for this? I'm thinking I'd prefer the 7" screen but might change my mind after actually seeing and playing with one. Oh I'm not interested in a ipad either for my own reasons, I'm sure it's good but it isn't for me.

I didn't know where else to post so if the mods want to move it please do.

Thanks for insight or thoughts.
    The only way you'll get a USB port is with a Windows XP or 7 tablet
    03-31-11 04:42 PM
    I wouldn't mind a win7 tab not sure that I need a usb port as I won't be saving anything on it was thinking more for the bb connection but bluetooth works too I guess.
    03-31-11 04:48 PM
    Wow, I can't believe that not even one person on here said playbook. I guess maybe it is just for business users.

I also can't believe that I only got one reply!
    Last edited by kbz1960; 04-01-11 at 07:12 AM. Reason: add
    04-01-11 07:11 AM
    Well, you might consider a BlackBerry Playbook.
    04-01-11 07:22 AM
    I'm not a business user, I'm getting the PlayBook if I can ever afford it.
    04-01-11 07:57 AM
    Well, you might consider a BlackBerry Playbook.
    I am, just waiting to see what owners have to say about it after they actually get one and use it. If I can something that is cheaper and will give me what I want I would probably go with that as I said I could care less about the bridge function as I wouldn't use it anyway.

I thought maybe some others all ready own something/whatever and could give some insight or know of something coming soon. I'm not sure about android as I've tried linux on my pc several times and always have the feeling it's just too much work to keep it working right. And you see I all ready will not buy apple products.
    04-01-11 08:07 AM
    The only way you'll get a USB port is with a Windows XP or 7 tablet
    Not true. The BB Playbook comes with a USB port.
    04-01-11 08:07 AM
    Not true. The BB Playbook comes with a USB port.
    It hasn't been made official yet, but models appear to use a USB OTG port (which allows for host USB support). Even then, it'll be at least one softwaree update away from doing more than three things.
    04-01-11 08:10 AM
    Get the Motorola Xoom, the Wi-Fi only model. Thing is awesome.
    04-01-11 08:12 AM
    Get the Motorola Xoom, the Wi-Fi only model. Thing is awesome.
    Will I be able to tether my bb to it? I use tether now with my laptop and don't have clue if using it on android and bb works. I might try another platform when my upgrade comes but that depends on how much or if my cost will go up and I don't want to lose my unlimited data.
    04-01-11 08:29 AM
    I'm not a business user, I'm getting the PlayBook if I can ever afford it.
    Just be careful with it and don't drop it in the crapper.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 08:41 AM

LOL, I read that thread.

This looks kind of interesting too kind of a hybrid.

news SAMSUNG

Samsung's Sliding 7 Series Tablet Rocks Windows 7, Hands On | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    04-01-11 08:45 AM
    I thought that, being a BB board, suggesting the playBook would be too obvious. But apparently it isn't, so here goes.

@OP: I am not a business user - at least I won't be as far as tablet use is concerned - but I'm getting the PlayBook. I think you should, too. It'll be cool.

04-01-11 09:44 AM
    From what I've read on Crackberry, you can tether to any phone that has a tethering plan for internet surfing via bluetooth. I've alos read the PB wont have OTG USB. As for 7" I went to the ATT store and played with a Galaxy Tab to determine that, yes, 7" was indeed the size i wanted. I'm retired, my PB (which is on pre order) will be for personal use only.
    04-01-11 09:58 AM
    04-01-11 12:03 PM
    I'll get both the original PB and then a 3G PB to add to the outdated NEC Litepad and the Fujitsu slate, the recent Viliv N5, the Galaxy Tab and iPad 2 3G.

Define your requirements for a device then get a unit that best meets you needs. I know my requirements but haven't found the optimum device -high expectations for the PB.
    04-01-11 05:34 PM
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just going to have get in a store and try some. Do all stores have wifi so a person can really test it?
    04-01-11 05:38 PM
    I've alos read the PB wont have OTG USB.
    You may have read it, but it's not a credible prediction unless you limit it to "at launch".

PlayBook won't have USB OTG at launch, but they have never denied that it might have it later. In fact, they've referred to Ethernet-over-USB and "USB peripherals", and possibly other hints, and lately have said only that they're "investigating adding this in a future release."

The hardware supports it... it's merely a question of software. I doubt anyone can think of a single reason why they wouldn't eventually implement a feature that would be a key competitive advantage, when it's merely a software issue.
    04-01-11 08:25 PM

I'm taking out insurance on it that gives me water damage cover too when I get it. So the dropping it in the crapper won't be an issue.
    04-03-11 07:45 AM

Hehehehe that was a great thread

Hopefully that rice was promptly discarded without time for anyone to make the mistake of their life...
    04-03-11 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD