Just reporting what I was told by an A&T store manager - he received a company notice recently that they will be selling Playbooks at the retail stores. He also said that they will be selling 3G Playbooks this summer. Not sure why he would make this up, he referenced receiving a communication from corporate on this.

I am not sure if this is good or bad news for us AT&T customers who have gone through the "backdoor" to get bridge working. Does it mean AT&T is closer to having a solution for locking us out without an additional data plan? Right now my bridge works fine, although bridge browser is too slow for me to rely on it for anything remotely serious.
    07-01-11 06:28 AM
    Doesn't sound good for you at&t users. Probably try to sell you a myfi like device with it and tell you without it you're stuck on wifi hotspots only and not at&t hotspots.
    07-01-11 06:52 AM
    Just reporting what I was told by an A&T store manager - he received a company notice recently that they will be selling Playbooks at the retail stores. He also said that they will be selling 3G Playbooks this summer. Not sure why he would make this up, he referenced receiving a communication from corporate on this.

I am not sure if this is good or bad news for us AT&T customers who have gone through the "backdoor" to get bridge working. Does it mean AT&T is closer to having a solution for locking us out without an additional data plan? Right now my bridge works fine, although bridge browser is too slow for me to rely on it for anything remotely serious.
    At least part of this is surely not right because the cellular Playbooks have been delayed until the fall so it would be hard to sell them this summer.
    07-01-11 07:20 AM
    Someone should casually go into your local AT&T corporate store and ask about Playbooks. In theory, they may not be allowed to mention upcoming announcements but maybe you can elicit additional info.
    07-01-11 07:25 AM
    I doesn't hurt current ATT playbook users at all. As I have said before there is no way ATT can block current users or know they are using it, unless you tell them you are. There are no service books attached to the Bridge.
    07-01-11 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD