Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone

I think this is new but just received a survey from BB Beta Zone with the following message. Not sure if anyone's going to read it, but I'm hopeful...

Anyone else receive this today? I've been a Beta Zone member for a couple of months now and this is the first time I got it

----
    Tablet OS - Your Feature Requests

We've put together a list of the Beta Zone PlayBook community's top suggestions for the future of the Tablet OS. In this survey, we'll ask you to weigh in on them and let us know which are the most important to you. You can of course suggest extra features.

We also have a few brief hypothetical questions we want to run past you about notifications and BlackBerry Bridge.

Your responses to this survey are helping a great deal in deciding the future of the Tablet OS platform! Every response will be used (anonymously), and every comment will be read.

The survey will take you 5-10 minutes.

Click Next to begin.
    ----
    Edit: will post screenshots as I go through survey, in case others are interested in the types of questions BB is asking.

Edit 2: Adding screenshots of survey questions to entice more people to sign up and answer the questions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone-p1.jpg   Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone-p2.jpg   Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone-p3.jpg   Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone-p4.jpg   Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone-p5.jpg  

Survey for Playbook Feature Request From BB Beta Zone-p6.jpg  
    Last edited by Mureed; 10-24-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Thanked by 5:
    Deathcommand (10-24-2011),  Heavens1 (10-24-2011),  John.P (10-25-2011),  world traveler and former ceo (10-25-2011),  WrightWords (10-24-2011) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Just received this.. I think this is good news. Would have been even better news had this come out prior to DevCon.
    CrackBerry User

It has a section asking about my experience with BB Bridge V2.0.0.1.

I guess that's coming soon.
    Thanked by:
    chi-town311 (10-24-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Lots of good feature requests that people have been asking for for a while. Make sure to vote 10 to implement it soon!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan604 View Post

Good catch. I read this section quickly and thought it meant Bridge on OS2. If there is a Bridge 2.x update coming, I'd be very curious to see how it performs.
    CrackBerry User

On the topic of receiving software updates, how would you prefer to receive updates to your BlackBerry PlayBook?
    • Frequent updates (one per month) with a few new features or improvements.
    • Less frequent updates (one per three to four months) with many new features or improvements.
    • I have no preference.
    • Other Please Specify:
    I liked seeing this question right off the top...
    Last edited by mythdraug; 10-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Please ask for USB host support... Priority 1 AAA !
    CrackBerry User

Oh good! I was just about to post a thread about this. People, please please sign up even if its just to take the survey. This is an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is...so to speak.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Brilliant - and thanks for the reminder, idiotically, I didn't update to include my Playbook (which is on day 14 of the two-week return policy .... 8 hours left
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,307 Global Posts

Just took the survey & wonder exactly what this means for OS2 update. The survey closes on the 31st of Oct. and then they'll start figuring what features to include? Am starting to agree with some that the update is farther away than we had hoped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,739 Global Posts

Just completed the survey.
    Its a well thought out survey. All playbook owners should register on the Beta Zone and complete the survey. Better to tell RIM directly what you want instead of ranting on forums.
    Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang

Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    713 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis1156 View Post
    Just took the survey & wonder exactly what this means for OS2 update. The survey closes on the 31st of Oct. and then they'll start figuring what features to include? Am starting to agree with some that the update is farther away than we had hoped.

They could have many of these features close to completion and once Oct 31st comes, they'll look at the results of this survey and spend a week or two to fully complete the major wants and desires. Then the other non-major features will be released in smaller updates. They may just want to know what will give them the biggest WOW when they go to release OS2.

For me the biggest (and only WOW) would be to release all these features, however, that is probably not going to happen in the initial 2.0 update.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

What version of BlackBerry Tablet OS are you using on your tablet? To check, open Settings->About.
    1.0.1.*
    1.0.3.*
    1.0.5.*
    1.0.7.*
    2.0.0.* (developer beta)
    I don't know
    Other***Please Specify:*

On the topic of receiving software updates, how would you prefer to receive updates to your BlackBerry PlayBook?
    Frequent updates (one per month) with a few new features or improvements.
    Less frequent updates (one per three to four months) with many new features or improvements.

I have no preference.
    Other***Please Specify:*

Does the BlackBerry PlayBook meet your expectations as a BlackBerry product?
    Yes
    No
    I don't know / No comment

Rate from 1 to 10:
    Print FROM the PlayBook to a printer
    Print TO the PlayBook from a computer (paper replacement)
    BlueTooth Stereo support (play PlayBook music through other speakers)
    Cloud storage provided by RIM
    Support for cloud storage by other vendors
    3G / 4G connectivity
    DLNA server support (push media to other DLNA devices)
    DLNA client support (receive and play media pushed FROM other DLNA devices)
    USB Host mode (for connecting USB devices like control devices or storage devices to the PlayBook)
    Connect to network storage drives or shared folders (i.e. NAS/SAMBA)
    Management of a PlayBook by a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server)

Using BlackBerry as a remote Keyboard and Mouse for the PlayBook
    Access to SMS messages using Bridge
    Access to MMS messages using Bridge
    Ability to launch links on the PlayBook from the BlackBerry using Bridge
    Ability to Bridge to multiple BlackBerry devices at the same time
    Transfer files back and forth between a Bridged BlackBerry

Browser bookmark management (folders and sorting)
    On-page text search in Browser
    Bezel scrolling in the browser (slide your finger in the black bezel to scroll the page)
    View PDF files directly in the Browser
    Password manager in the Browser (to remember passwords when enabled)

Additional smilies / emoticons
    Home screen folder organization for apps
    Customized panes/pages for apps
    Universal search (search web, your apps, your messages, & settings, all from one place)
    Global volume control in the top ribbon (by the clock)
    Global spellcheck and autocorrect
    Arrow keys on the virtual keyboard
    On-device file management (move/copy/delete/folder organization)
    'Extended Desktop' function for HDMI, to have a different app on each screen
    Notifications by blinking LED light
    App scheduler (launch an app at a specific time)
    Additional language support for the UI

Cross-platform Video Chat (i.e. Skype or custom app for other platforms)
    FLAC audio codec support
    Native BBM on PlayBook
    Native Email, Calendar, and Contacts applications (with IMAP/POP3/ActiveSync support)
    Native fully-featured Office applications
    Access to BBM Groups on PlayBook
    Native Twitter integration
    Fully functional Android Player (to launch Android apps on PlayBook)
    Netflix application, or Browser support for Netflix streaming
    BlackBerry Maps (with online maps available over Bridge or Wi-Fi)
    BlackBerry Maps (with offline maps, for use anywhere)
    BlackBerry Protect for locking and locating your PlayBook remotely
    An application to purchase or rent movies and TV shows

Then there was some questions on Bridge.
    Thanked by 2:
    Heavens1 (10-24-2011),  world traveler and former ceo (10-25-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Big delay on OS 2.0 release.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis1156 View Post

Not necessarily: the survey asks about folder managements and panels and changes for those have already been included in OS2.0 Beta.

battery and diablodvs7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan604 View Post

Hope so!!!
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by world traveler and former ceo View Post
    Hope so!!!
    It looks like it was only a typo: How many people have Bridge version 2.0.0.1
    CrackBerry Addict

I take it as a good sign, if they ask the questions, they are willing to consider the answers.

Vote with your feet. As someone said, some of the features are already in the beta, even with the OS2 apps removed. If I see autocorrect, Native BBM, Email and PIM this side of Christmas, I would be happy.
    Personal website and blog | Flickr photostream
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,364 Global Posts

I take this as not being good at all as it implies that none of this stuff is ready now, and they want to know what to put priority on. Its the stuff everyone has been wanting for a while now and we thought most of it was coming with 2.0. This type of survey should have been done long ago, not in late October. I hope I am interpreting the timing of the survey wrong.
    jvictor77 and Send Again like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I bought in april. This survey should have been out shortly after. It seems like they are still working on the basics.

KOOLWATER likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

Everyone should do the survey because we need for this update to be heavenly.

Boy i hope RIM is FINALLY listening and this is a sign of the future.
    "In the end, the amount of people that attend your funeral will depend on the weather"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    PIN
    Stay. Calm.

I have a (cautiously) strong feeling that many of these features are in the works, if not completely done. Obviously they only included essential "development tools in the 2.0 beta so that users are not distracted by the consumer products that will be there in the official version.

RIM is currently using the developer beta to hammer out final details of the third-party apps side of things. While their implementation seems to be unorthodox... Some of it makes sense.

Though, I am really hoping that they are further along than this survey implies. Only time will tell, I guess.
    BlackBerry addiction is no laughing matter... he eh eh eh...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts

I did a quick count on how many of these feature requests are already available today on the iPad and Android tabs. Out of 47 feature requests, iPad already has 26 of them and Android tablets have 33.

That's quite a large gap to leapfrog.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,061 Global Posts

I kind of hope that they asking about this stuff so they know what best to focus on in marketting campaigns. Hope it is all there.

dentynefire likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    500 Global Posts

here is my comments to them on my survey. those of you who can add comments, think about writing suggestions to RIM...

along with almost all of the features within this survey, a few i think would greatly benefit the playbook and RIM in terms of the blackberry experience is:
    UI:
    * since its been established that the playbook has more than just a home button (bezel gestures), gestures for customizable tasks would greatly be useful. perhaps a few fairly simple gestures customizable to do different things or launch different apps.
    * side scrolling of pages (not just web) using the bezel. while im not sure if the hardware is capable, scrolling using the bezel would give much functionality and prevent content onscreen to be blocked by users' fingers while scrolling
    * maybe an option for different wallpaper for each orientation. also, a wallpaper section in the control panel for allowing the user to browse to a file or image at a URL (to download the picture to use) as opposed to only pictures in the album library
    * keyboard should not need the global language dedicated as the language can be changed in control panel, instead maybe separate the symbols and add a alt key similar to smartphone keyboards.
    * since tablet usually means less thumb typing, either shift the bottom rows over like laptop keyboards or add a split keyboard (see ergonomic keyboards and see iOS5 iPad keyboard splitting) for better thumb typing.

bridge:
    * aside from internet tethering included in the beta OS, compatibility for use of such apps like tether (Tether BlackBerry, Tether Android | Tether.com) to have the playbook identify itself as pc type browser (like blackberry smartphone browsers did previously)
    * since bridge requires both devices to be within the vicinity of the other, using the keyboard on a qwerty device to control the playbook keyboard should be native. this includes uses of autotext used on the phone.
    * two spaces shall and forever will mean the end of a sentence.
    * seeing as how the playbook is a extension of a blackberry smartphone, it would be very neat to have a phone player of some sort to run your smartphone apps on the playbook...same idea as running playbook on hdmi, maybe phone to playbook.

functionality:
    * allow use of custom tones for alarms or at the very least increase the selection of tones. also, the alarm should have the option to ignore global volume.
    * two spaces shall and forever will mean the end of a sentence.
    * not only dictionary/auto correct, but auto capitalization is a must. especially for a "professional grade tablet" , no spelling aids to catch mistakes is inexcusable.
    * forward deleting Del key or feature

there's more but off the top of my head these are things that would be greatly appreciated and would definitely draw more customers in due to features already available that would make the playbook a better all-around device for consumers

RE: bridge notifications
    since there is no option to choose both regarding the question about 1 or 2 below, i would like to say that the option for easy set configuration of both should be provided. some people get a ton of mail and would hate to see the notifications pop up and cover everything. for those who expect less mail or are waiting for urgent mail/messages, a summary would be spectacular.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast