I'm trying to incorporate my PB into my work life by using it to take structured notes.

I want to take notes and assign them to categories where I can have multiple notes for each category. I'd also like to export to Word or something as well.

I've tried Evernote but I can't make categories via the PB.

Note Smartly does not allow for custom categories and seems like an overkill for what I need.

Other apps I've tried are too simplistic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    03-08-12 08:20 AM
    Try GroovyNotes by XLabz

Edit: Not sure if GroovyNotes can export to Word though. I have never tried that. But i's a great note taking app anyway. Very polished and functional.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 03-08-12 at 08:24 AM.
    03-08-12 08:21 AM
    Try the Android version of Evermore - allows for new notebook creation; has other features as well - much closer to the desktop version than is the BBPB version.

Edit: Sorry - that should read "Android version of Evernote" -
    Last edited by mug5384; 03-08-12 at 11:00 AM. Reason: wrote the original on the PB and didn't notice the predictive change
    03-08-12 08:59 AM
    Groovy notes gets another vote from me. I just checked the export feature... .pdf and .txt each or all pages get individual page files of both extension. I looked at the pdf, it's nicely converted, keeps formatting and line breaks. They go into the File Manager documents tab.
    03-08-12 09:18 AM
    Another vote here for Groovy Notes. I've found it great during meetings and as mentioned, it converts nicely into PDF.
    03-08-12 09:32 AM
    +1 for Groovy notes.

I don't know anything that expoerts directly to Word. The Groovy notes export feature to .txt seems like the closest solution for your needs, currently.

Please be sure to post back what you converge on and how it works out for you.
    03-08-12 09:36 AM
    PDF is good too....thanks for the recommendations. Looks promising based what I saw on their website.

I may try Evernote for Android as well.

I wish these app developers wouldn't use cheesy graphics to try and simulate a real notepad or file folder. lol All jokes aside, it sometimes takes up valuable screen real estate
    03-08-12 09:45 AM
    The converted pdf from Groovy Notes does leave out the cheesy graphics, btw. Just Fyi.
    03-08-12 09:51 AM
    I would like to see OneNote for BB. I have not found a good solution.
    artie likes this.
    03-08-12 10:03 AM
    Okay I will have to chime in on GroovyNotes as well. I have 12 different meetings I attend throughout the week and each meeting has it's own tab. You can add tags to your meetings as well.

Additionally you can record your meetings, I haven't done that yet. I probably will use the record feature once I get back to the States.

And as previously noted, exports to pdf and txt files. I find it works best for me in portrait mode as well, makes it look like I folded back my dayplanner and you just see the rings of the binder on the left. Also, it can export/sync to I'm guessing whatever cloud service you might have. Since I'm not connected wirelessly here at my camp, I can't test that out.

If you are military, it has the look and feel of a "Rite In The Rain" planner, especially the color of the paper.
    03-08-12 10:12 AM
    I use Evernote for my note taking needs. You can get a client for your PC, your PB and your BB (or other phone).

While the PB client cant create new notebooks - I usually set up my notebooks on my desktop and then just assign the notes I create on my PB to whatever notebook. Another option is to sideload the android Evernote (which allows for notebook creation).

The utility I get from Evernote is pretty extensive - being able to get quick notes on whatever device is in front of me and having access to it in the cloud from any other device is pure goodness.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-08-12 10:18 AM
    I would like to see OneNote for BB. I have not found a good solution.
    I totally agree with you. I've been hoping and waiting to get that on our BlackBerrys Smartphone and PlayBook
    03-08-12 10:46 AM
    I had trouble using Evernote when I wasn't connected to the web. Is that just me or does everyone get that.

I've tried Groovy Notes and liked it, but I really wish it had the ability to email a note to someone. That would let me distribute meeting notes and, if needed, send it into Evernote.
    03-08-12 11:00 AM
    Is Groovy notes an android app or native PB app? I like the way it looks (reminds me of one note) and I'd like to use it daily if it's not opening the android player.

I go days without using the android player, just feel like it slows my PB enough that avoid android apps that I'll use on a regular basis, and it also seems the android player makes restarts necessary much more frequently, want to stay focused on native PB apps even though I do use android apps on occasion.
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 03-08-12 at 12:58 PM.
    03-08-12 11:19 AM
    I remembered after I did try the Android version of Evernote but when I tried to sign it I always get a connection error. But the PB app would work.
    03-08-12 12:08 PM
    Can any one recommend a note taking app which allows for both text input and basic sketch input on one page? i.e. you can make notes but also make small diagrams along side. Would be perfect for my architecture lectures.
    03-08-12 12:30 PM
    Can any one recommend a note taking app which allows for both text input and basic sketch input on one page? i.e. you can make notes but also make small diagrams along side. Would be perfect for my architecture lectures.
    I tried Note Smartly and it did both keyboard text and drawing on the same note. There are buttons on the bottom to switch modes, type vs freehand etc (or really 'freefinger')
    helsinki98 likes this.
    03-08-12 12:54 PM
    all most perfect other then the lack of predictive text, not sure if its in the full version or not though.
    03-08-12 01:30 PM
    Groovy Notes is what I use. I love it and it's a pleasure to use. Others have talked about the synching and exporting so I won't repeat. For the poster asking about if it's native - it's an app for Playbook and it costs $4.99 in app world. Worth every penny.

I used to use Evernote, but it's a pain in the behind since OS2 dropped and now the PB keyboard doesn't play nice with it. Which leaves me to believe they need to update their application to work with OS2 like two weeks ago. Annoying since I purchased the synching option (or whatever it's called).
    Sergeant HCR likes this.
    03-08-12 01:32 PM
    I prefer Evernote because it's completely cross platform & I have it on my iPod touch, my Android Phone, my PlayBook, my Mac, my Vista box & IT'S FREE!!!!

I have heard that Groovy notes is a good tool. Will have to try it out.

03-08-12 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD