Just thinking out loud here.

Rim, like most hardware manufacturers before them, get criticized for the layout that they chose to display on their on screen keyboards.

When it comes to keyboard layouts, people start to get finicky. Some like numbers along the top, some like arrow keys, some like .com and other shortcut buttons.

The problem is that screen real estate is at a premium (especially 7" tablets).

Manufacturers are forced to make a decision and defend it. I just had the thought, why should they be forced to choose? why should we as customers be forced to use a keyboard that was chosen for us? (especially when these keyboards are just pixels on the screen)

My Idea was that rim should include a keyboard creation app. This app would allow you to setup the virtual keyboard just like you would customize a tool bar. If you want a number bar at the top? have it! Want some arrow keys on your screen? Have it!

The programming would take some thinking but its completely doable. If I had this feature it would be the first thing I would demo to perspective playbook owners.

What do you think?
    09-27-11 08:20 PM
    Actually, what I would like is the standard keyboard with numbers on the top row, like what you see with the HP Touchpad.
    09-27-11 08:24 PM
    Don't know anything about advanced programming and software development but that sounds like a great idea. I think it will be very hard to do though...
    09-27-11 08:31 PM
    I would think any programmer worth while could knock this out. How many are there for android? Of course it may need the sdk.
    09-27-11 08:33 PM
    Or at least the option of the BB phone layout. Unfortunately, IMHO, there was not too long ago a blog or article on how the newest phone's virtual keyboards mirror the PB keyboard. this leads me to believe we are stuck with it.
    I am not a computer engineer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my theory is that the keyboard layout is part of the core or kernel, and all separate program modules access it as they do the core OS. This is also why I think the "auto text correct" feature hasn't been implemented. There is obviously a dictionary base in the core, as we see the incorrect spellings underlined, but possibly each separate app must supply its own means of access, which may not be possible without the native sdk.
    Just a theory from the unknowing, but what says you?
    Last edited by Beakman; 09-27-11 at 08:48 PM.
    09-27-11 08:44 PM
    Or at least the option of the BB phone layout. Unfortunately, IMHO, there was not too long ago a blog or article on how the newest phone's virtual keyboards mirror the PB keyboard.
    I am not a computer engineer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but my theory is that the keyboard layout is part of the core or kernel, and all separate program modules access it as they do the core OS. This is also why I think the "auto text correct" feature hasn't been implemented. There is obviously a dictionary base in the core, as we see the incorrect spellings underlined, but possibly each separate app must supply its own means of access, which may not be possible without the native sdk.
    Just a theory from the unknowing, but what says you?
    I completely agree. All programs access the keyboard which is part of the OS core thats why it would be better if this functionality was created by rim. Android has third party apps that allow you to change the keyboard layout but they are still predefined layouts and people still have complaints about responsiveness and features.
    09-27-11 08:52 PM
    I'd like the Questionmark, Apostrophe and cursor keys on the main keyboard or a subsidiary keyboard (swipe from lower right).
    09-27-11 09:04 PM
    I'd like the Questionmark, Apostrophe and cursor keys on the main keyboard or a subsidiary keyboard (swipe from lower right).
    Thats a good idea...I was wondering what could be done with the lower right diag. swipe
    09-27-11 09:15 PM
    Thats a good idea...I was wondering what could be done with the lower right diag. swipe
    Or hold/hover on the comma key. Plus I'd trade the primary currency symbol for an ampersand anyday.
    09-27-11 09:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD