Finally got my PlayBook! I opened it up, began setup, got the wi-fi going, logged into my BlackBerry ID, then it checked for an update. "Aww yeah, 2.0 here we come!" then...error 2012. I reset, and re-booted and re-tried to no avail. After searching the forums, it seemed that the most common answer was to use the "Debrick method". Before doing that I called RIM's (laughable) support line. I got some girl who could barely talk legibly and her solution was to "shut it off and wait 10 minutes". I waited the 10 minutes. That of course did not work, so I did the update through the "Debrick method". I did that and got my PlayBook going fresh. I got the wi-fi going (again), got logged in (again), then it checked for an update (again) and this time it said it could not connect. Same message, different code: error 132353. It said to restart and re-try, so I did. I can see I updated to 2.0.0.7971, but it still automatically checks for updates, and again I get the error 132353. I called customer support (again) and got someone who sounded more intelligent. She said, first let's get your PlayBook registered. Ok, let's do it! She said she had sent an email to me, yet it never came. She said she would open the ticket while we wait for the email. I explained (and re-explained. And re-explained. At least she sounds intelligent) the issue and she put me on hold and told me the solution was to POWER OFF FOR A FEW HOURS! What? Until when, when support is closed? Then she asked if I got the registration email, I didn't, so she took me to the site to sign up. I followed her steps, submitted my serial number and got this message:

"Unfortunately, your BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet does not qualify for Complimentary Support. You can, however get assistance using incident based support from Research In Motion."

She said she doesn't know what that means. So just try the hours-long power off and call back if it doesn't work.

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!! This is a brand new PlayBook, just bought. Why am I getting this code? Why can no one tell me how to fix this issue? Why hasn't that email come? What is going on?

Sorry for the long-winded post. I'm really frustrated right now. After years of defending RIM and staunchly standing by my beloved BlackBerry I get a 9810 that freezes non-stop and randomly resets, and a PlayBook that doesn't get past setup. Sahweet!
    Last edited by bmartz77; 03-14-12 at 05:55 PM. Reason: transposed numbers in OS version
    03-14-12 05:24 PM
    plug it into a wall socket for a few hours. it needs to be over 20% charged or it won't update.

as for the 9810, an OS upgrade or reinstall might be in order.
    03-14-12 05:30 PM
    Are you able to return it to the store where the PlayBook was purchased? That's what I would do, and set it up in front of the salesperson to make sure it worked before I left the store. If it was mail order then do what CyTrydncr223 wrote.
    Last edited by spencerdl; 03-14-12 at 05:36 PM.
    03-14-12 05:33 PM
    Crazy idea, but it might work . . .

Try returning it to the place you purchased it from and get a new one.
    03-14-12 05:34 PM
    I got it new from Amazon, and returning it is a bit of a hassle and I'm anxious to start using this thing. I'm trying to find solutions online before I return it and have to wait.
    03-14-12 06:33 PM
    man oh man, I've setup 4 playbooks and all went smooth as butter! I had to take 1 back because the MIC was defective, but all the setups went smoothly, what I suggest is charge the battery fully, THEN try the debrick method and follow all the instructions exactly and you should be able to set it up, if not send it back for a new one is the only and best solution IMHO...good luck bud
    03-14-12 06:44 PM
    Yeeeesh that sucks!
    You may have done so already, plug it into the wall... give it a while...
    Boot it up, go through the process then... if it still doesn't work...
    turn PlayBook off...
    Start up Desktop Manager
    Plug PlayBook into Computer using USB
    Press Power button on PlayBook
    When it boots up a dialog box pops up on PC, press the Update button
    Follow onscreen instructions and cross your fingers.

Good luck!
    03-14-12 06:45 PM
    This highlights the reason why I still prefer to buy electronics from physical stored rather than online.

Personally as you are having this much trouble with a new device I am would get it sent back.
    03-14-12 06:46 PM
    OR,,,,, you can send it to me.. I'll get it working..
    Hgouck likes this.
    03-14-12 07:13 PM
    I see you posted on the official forum, too.
    What stage is it at now? Will it try again or do you need to do Debrick again?

I, too, would charge it up for 2-3 hours. Then maybe hit a wifi cafe/starbucks/etc and see if you can get the update running there.
    03-14-12 08:00 PM
    So now it's well after 11pm, I've had the PlayBook charging all night. I booted up and still get the error. I think I'm going to debrick it again, seeing as how I'm stuck in these endless loop of retry and restart (I can't even go back to any of the previous setup screens), and log on to a different wi-fi signal when I get to work tomorrow and see how it goes. What a disappointment. I actually scheduled this to be delivered on my day off, so I had all day to mess around...now I've just spent all day troubleshooting.
    03-14-12 10:57 PM
    i can help you pm me for email
    03-14-12 11:01 PM
    Just thought l would mention that be sure that when updating that wifi and bluetooth are off.
    03-14-12 11:02 PM
    Everyone's eligible for complimentary playbook support..it's called crackberry.com!
    03-14-12 11:08 PM
    Why don't people give their new electronics a full charge, before they start set-ups, etc. ?

ALTHOUGH this is the only electronics I've seen that runs on rechargable batts that does not state first thing in the manual, full charge then start using ! (looking at the pdf link, 'jafobabe' has embedded in her signature)

I do (full charge) and don't ever seem to have a problem, but to be honest don't have a PB yet to implement my usual protocol

I may even find it IS a PB 'thing' even with a full charge to sometimes be 'given' a defective unit, ehh ?

Good luck bmartz77

nite
    03-14-12 11:18 PM
    You bricked your tablet when the update failed the first time. You need to reset it to factory settings.
    Google playbook desktop manager
    03-14-12 11:38 PM
    What a bunch of needless rigmarole. So after 2 days, 3 factory resets, 3 hours of phone calls to RIM support, 2 hours of calls and 10 e-mails to Amazon, this is the best resolution I got: RIM's customer support sent me to manufacturing who told me my PlayBook cannot be activated because the serial number is listed as STOLEN!! (Brand new, factory-sealed from a 100% feedback, 5-star rated seller mind you). There was nothing they could do. Amazon will take it back for a refund but won't directly exchange it. I had to send back my old unit and buy another one from another seller out of pocket. They gave me free next day shipping (i'm a Prime customer so they only saved me a paltry $3.99. Pfft. Thanks a lot cheapskates) and in 2 weeks I should have the refund for the first unit. They also paid my return shipping.

Amazon stepped up and did the best their policies allow. Yeah I had to pay for another up front but that's because I'm impatient and they have to protect their end, I get it. At least their customer service reps are knowledgeable. RIM employees can't even tell you what an error code from THEIR OWN FREAKIN' EQUIPMENT means without escalation. I have been thinking about ditching BlackBerry recently (I've just been burned too many times), and this customer service experience alone is reason enough. It just may be the straw that broke the camels back.
    03-15-12 08:41 PM
    Well so a seller on Amazon has stolen playbooks. Starting to sound like a tall tale. But good luck whatever you do.
    srmurray1 likes this.
    03-15-12 08:57 PM
    Did they ever recover that truckload stolen in Indiana?
    03-15-12 09:21 PM
    Did they ever recover that truckload stolen in Indiana?
    What was it, 5000 Playbooks? Yeah.. 4999 to go it seems!
    03-15-12 10:47 PM
    I have the same problem. Error 132353. I've been trying to activate the tablet for hours with no success. Finally I called support service at BB. They told me that the error is generated because BB has the PIN of the tablet locked. So they gave an email so I can send them pictures of the error, of the Playbook package, of the invoice and the Playbook itself to verify that I indeed purchased the little thing. They told me that as soon as I'll send them the pictures they'll unlock the PIN and I can use the tablet.

I'll do it tonight and I'll let you know how it went.

:fingers crossed:

03-16-12 09:45 AM
    I have the same problem. Error 132353. I've been trying to activate the tablet for hours with no success. Finally I called support service at BB. They told me that the error is generated because BB has the PIN of the tablet locked. So they gave an email so I can send them pictures of the error, of the Playbook package, of the invoice and the Playbook itself to verify that I indeed purchased the little thing. They told me that as soon as I'll send them the pictures they'll unlock the PIN and I can use the tablet.
    What the ? Why didn't they offer that to me?

To update on the situation, I received the second unit yesterday and this one had the same error codes! On top of that, there's a bulge on the back of the unit that won't allow it to lie flat. I'm also sending this one back. So until I get my refunds I'm out over $400 and have no PlayBook. To the poster that said it's starting to sound like a tall tale: Since I have now received two PlayBooks that have the same "Stolen unit" error, and since both orders were fulfilled by Amazon, I would say yes, it's very likely Amazon is in possesion of unauthorized/stolen PlayBooks.
    03-17-12 08:59 AM
    Where is the story about amazon selling stolen merchandise? Are they in trouble? Their supplier?
    03-17-12 09:04 AM
    I would have to say this is a situation where there is the possibility that Amazon is selling purloined goods mixed in with a healthy dose of user error. OP, why didn't you just buy from RIM?
    03-17-12 09:05 AM
    I would have to say this is a situation where there is the possibility that Amazon is selling purloined goods mixed in with a healthy dose of user error. OP, why didn't you just buy from RIM?
    That is what I keep telling people. But directly from RIM. Three tablets from them thus far with ZERO issues. Yet, people continue to buy from shady sellers on Amazon and the like. A case of "you can lead a horse to water" I suppose
    03-17-12 09:11 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD