Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By alekza
  • 1 Post By jpash549
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Stylus for accurate note taking

Ok, i had a post before, but now i bought the NEXXTECH COMBINATION STYLUS AND INK PEN from the source. I tested it out, turns out it doesnt really fit what i need it for (i need to take notes in class, so i need it to be accurate), so can anyone who have a good stylus for taking notes point me to something good? Thanks
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    844 Global Posts

Honestly, I don't believe we're going to see any kind of stylus that will take notes as accurately as pen and paper will for the Playbook. Unless the Playbook has an active digitizer setup like the HTC Flyer or Samsung Galaxy Note (which I don't believe it does), using any stylus won't be any more accurate and precise than what you could write with your finger.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    GU!

i'm a college student. I thought that getting a tablet would help me get rid of the notebooks. I have a Playbook which is a nice study partner. I have some friends who own that tablet from the fruit-that-must-not-be-named. A couple of them use stylus.

I've tried them all on my playbook [which has a screen protector] (including bamboo) and none seemed to be good enough for my needs, even thou they worked nicely on their iP##s.

I was pretty frustrated.

I ended up making a home-made stylus, and ironically have a better response than on those market items.

Rumor has it: there's gonna be an official stylus release soon. (soon in terms of RIM, right)... In the meantime.. i'm happy with my homemade thing. Works like a charm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stylus for accurate note taking-1323672067878.jpg  
    Join Dropbox for cloudStorage http://db.tt/BIGsqAq Also available as Bluebox for Playbook.

Twitter: @alekzas
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by alekza View Post
    i'm a college student. I thought that getting a tablet would help me get rid of the notebooks. I have a Playbook which is a nice study partner. I have some friends who own that tablet from the fruit-that-must-not-be-named. A couple of them use stylus.

I've tried them all on my playbook [which has a screen protector] (including bamboo) and none seemed to be good enough for my needs, even thou they worked nicely on their iP##s.

I was pretty frustrated.

I ended up making a home-made stylus, and ironically have a better response than on those market items.

Rumor has it: there's gonna be an official stylus release soon. (soon in terms of RIM, right)... In the meantime.. i'm happy with my homemade thing. Works like a charm.

How did you make it?? i really want one because we have 3~4 hours of lecture straight everyday, and taking notes on a PB would be more fun than taking notes on paper
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    GU!

Look for an old metallic pen.
    Remove the tip and the ink, to make it be like a tube.
    Attach piece of sponge (carefull with this, might scratch ur screen protector if you pic a sponge too rough) to one end or where the tip used to be.
    Absorb 1-3 drops of water.. doesnt need to be wet , just a bit of water is enough for it to conduct.

Voilá

the short one looks better. I prefer this one.. and works well for me because i have small hands. My dad likes the larger version better, but he uses a stylus for his tab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stylus for accurate note taking-tabnotes9.jpg   Stylus for accurate note taking-img-20111212-01259.jpg   Stylus for accurate note taking-img-20111212-01262.jpg   Stylus for accurate note taking-img-20111212-01268.jpg  
    Last edited by alekza; 12-12-2011 at 03:21 AM.
    Join Dropbox for cloudStorage http://db.tt/BIGsqAq Also available as Bluebox for Playbook.

Twitter: @alekzas
    Thanked by:
    Silverfern (12-12-2011) 
    Silverfern likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

isn't OS 2.0 supposed to be bringing in the feature of using your phone as an input device? That would personally do the trick for me far more efficiently than using a stylus.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Bairdo View Post
    isn't OS 2.0 supposed to be bringing in the feature of using your phone as an input device? That would personally do the trick for me far more efficiently than using a stylus.
    you can't really draw/handwrite using your phone, can you?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    671 Global Posts

Attach piece of sponge (carefull with this, might scratch ur screen protector if you pic a sponge too rough) to one end or where the tip used to be.
    Absorb 1-3 drops of water.. doesnt need to be wet , just a bit of water is enough for it to conduct.

Voilá

the short one looks better. I prefer this one.. and works well for me because i have small hands. My dad likes the larger version better, but he uses a stylus for his tab.
    To eliminate the need for water, you can use conductive foam (the type that holds tiny electronic parts), wrap wire around it and run it through the pen then around the pen so that your hand is touching the wire as you're using it.
    Thanked by:
    StringThing (12-12-2011) 
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,614 Global Posts

Voilá

Quite inventive of you. Doesn't look like you could get that thin writing out of that big sponge lol.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,569 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    Ok, i had a post before, but now i bought the NEXXTECH COMBINATION STYLUS AND INK PEN from the source. I tested it out, turns out it doesnt really fit what i need it for (i need to take notes in class, so i need it to be accurate), so can anyone who have a good stylus for taking notes point me to something good? Thanks
    I don't know if it's the type of screen that the PlayBook uses or the software that is available but writing using a stylus on my iPad is noticeably better than my PlayBook. I hope we see improvements.

From videos that I've seen the HTC Flyer seems like the best bet for a tablet to take notes on. None can fully replace pen/pencil and paper though.
    Last edited by bounce007; 12-12-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!

Nice innovation in thread.

I just ordered a Targus stylus to be delivered tomorrow

Targus Universal Tablet Stylus, Dark Red | Staples®

I will let you know how it works out.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!

Also - on a side note - what software are you folks using on your PB to be able to scribble notes? Looked on app world but it wasnt immediately apparent which ones people are using.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    680 Global Posts

handrite android app in 2.0 beta is what im using. im waiting for a good stylus though.

regarding the one from rim I am curious if they would bother putting it through to production. I am still waiting for that kevin featured a while back. I know there are others on the market but I wonder if waiting for the rim accessories is a waste of time?
    CrackBerry Abuser

gen.paper, notesmartly, and picinote. I wish they would merge!!
    Last edited by marksasongko; 12-13-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,203 Global Posts
    PIN
    the tail on the donkey!

Just getting back to this thread.

Purchased a Targus stylus from Staples to use on my PB.

My opinion? Dont get it. The sponge is roughly the size of your fingertip so you cant produce fine lines like a pen or pencil.
    CrackBerry Abuser

so, a few days ago, I asked Kevin on twitter about playbook 1mm stylus support. It's a bit intrusive because he doesnt know me, but I just can't help it, I've just got to ask. He didn't reply... could it be because of the NDA and RIM is preparing for an awesome stylus?? *wishful thinking*
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

hello I usually use the electronic note taking besides it can remember me all my tasks on my e-mail and my phone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tomnjerry View Post
    Here's how I take notes with my playbook: The Pizza Binder
    Did you really need to post this 11 times today (and probably still counting)? I understand that you want to promote your item, but don't go overboard.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

I finally had to buy LiveScribe smartpen and transfer the notes from the pen as a PDF document. While you cannot erase mistakes it allows for more natural note taking in class or meetings if you need to scribble notes or make sketches for future reference. Apple iPad users have an excellent product called Bamboo Paper (it is an application) that replicates the benefits of paper and pen/pencil on their tablet; too bad it is not available for the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Ref to TomnJerry number of posts: If there weren't so many threads on note taking he wouldn't have to post his product info so many times. Looks like a practical idea for some but the price point is going to have to be pretty reasonable to sell many.
    F2 likes this.

Since it did seem "spammy" I was reluctant to visit the site. I went just now - interesting mix of high tech and lower tech! Of course, the non-focusing bb phones could complicate the task but he could have used the bb voice recorder and had one less device!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by jpash549 View Post
    Ref to TomnJerry number of posts: If there weren't so many threads on note taking he wouldn't have to post his product info so many times. Looks like a practical idea for some but the price point is going to have to be pretty reasonable to sell many.
    Problem is, what he's doing is in violation of Crackberry rules. To violate once is one thing, to do it 11 times is another.

From "Posting Rules and Guidelines"- Posting Rules & Guidelines

No Advertising Policy

CrackBerry.com maintains a No Advertising policy in the forums. Individuals/Businesses may not make posts promoting the sale of their own or other competing stores Products (Accessories, Services, Software, Themes, etc.) or sales. Traffic Leaching is strictly prohibited. If you'd like to promote or advertise your Accessories, Services, Software, Themes etc. on CrackBerry.com please contact Kevin Michaluk directly. Kevin can be reached via email, kevin at crackberry.com.

Individuals looking to Sell or Swap personally owned items (i.e. Used Unlocked AT&T BlackBerry 8700 for Sale) may post in the Buy & Sell forum.

Please note, if individuals (not related to the company selling a product or service) post on an item that is or becomes available in the ShopCrackBerry.com store, if available for the same price or less we reserve the right to update posts to this link (gotta keep in business!).
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,035 Global Posts

Seems like a gray area to me. If an app developer puts an app in the BB app world or revises an existing app he can post in this forum and this is an advertisement for that app. I don't object to that because it is information I want to have. Similarly TomnJerry posted information about an interesting approach to note taking. There was no attempt to sell that I paid any attention to. Sure he pointed out that he hoped to commercialize the idea. But note that he gave enough information that you could make your own . Basically all it is is a way to make a fairly compact white board with several notebook size pages. Not being a patent attorney don't even know whether it is even patentable. You certainly can't patent the use of camera or recorder along with it. Isn't there also a rule against unnecessary repetitive posts or is that left solely up to the moderators judgement?