I just got my PB yesterday! At first, I could not get past the software update screen . It just wouldn't download past 10mb on the playbook ...SO, I connected it to my Blackberry Desktop Software, restarted it, and a window popped up giving me the option to update.
    It took a long time but finally it completed and a window popped up saying I had to disconnect the PB in order to complete process. So I did.

Now, after many re-starts, and even updating for a second time, the PB is stuck on a screen that says "Software Update: Your software is up to date" I can only swipe backwards from there (back to the date/time, wifi, welcome screens)

Can't swipe forward past this "software is up to date" screen! I called Tech Support and they were NO help. They said they have to call me back tomorrow (yea right.)

Anybody have any ideas???
    01-10-12 07:16 PM
    someone help please?
    01-10-12 07:38 PM
    try pushing off button, up and down volume buttons all at the same time for a hard re-start.
    01-10-12 08:02 PM
    Press and HOLD the Power ON button for 10-15 seconds. See if that gets it moving.

If that fails

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shoot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    01-10-12 08:05 PM
    One more thing - are you swiping in the correct location? That tutorial wants the swipes in specific locations across the screen.
    01-10-12 08:07 PM
    I rebooted many times (althought I did hear a shutter sound a couple times when pressing the on and volume buttons at same time)

And yes, I am swiping in the same way that I swipe to get past the welcome, wifi, and date/time screens (my swipes work perfectly there) But the software update screen won't budge no matter how I swipe...
    01-10-12 08:18 PM
    Can you see a 'Skip' button at the right top of the screen you are stuck on?

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-setup
    01-10-12 08:32 PM
    Call RIM PlayBook support, their number should be of the sheets of paper that came with your PlayBook, it is free and they provide rather good service.
    01-10-12 08:42 PM

nope
    01-10-12 08:43 PM
    Call RIM PlayBook support, their number should be of the sheets of paper that came with your PlayBook, it is free and they provide rather good service.
    If you read my original post you'd see that I already did...I wish I could say they had provided good service. The person simply told me to re-boot. Then they said theyd call me back tomorrow.... : /
    01-10-12 08:46 PM

I havent made it that far. I'm stuck on the update screen which comes before the one in that picture
    01-10-12 08:47 PM

actually that is strange because none of my welcome screens/date time/wifi show a skip button ....man or i woulda skipped this long ago
    01-10-12 08:49 PM
    I know you have probably done it, but have you tried swiping from the bottom bezel up, instead of side to side.
    01-10-12 08:51 PM
    Do you have the Charger hooked up on the PB while you were setting your information up?
    As soon as my extra PB got to the 'Software is updated' it reboots it's self.

Click on the link below my signature and there may be added info in there that will help you.
    01-10-12 09:03 PM
    Same exact problem but thread just ends:

Playbook stuck in "Update Cycle" - Page 2 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Blackberry support sent this person a new one:

Playbook Problem - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    saescott likes this.
    01-10-12 09:05 PM
    and what kind of router for your wifi are you on?
    01-10-12 09:06 PM
    It's a Belkin. Now I have another question. When you view the playbook information in the screen that says Diagnostic and then playbook OS: blackberry tablet os, playbook pin, hardware id , etc, mine does not say anything under platform version - its just blank. Does yours say something for platform version?
    01-10-12 09:19 PM
    Looks like you are past the stuck on "Software is Up to Date" screen.

What OS are you on? OS 1.0.8.6067?
    01-10-12 10:09 PM
    Looks like you are past the stuck on "Software is Up to Date" screen.

What OS are you on? OS 1.0.8.6067?

Nope I have not gotten past it. It is still stuck. I am able to the view the playbook information from wifi screen that comes before the update. I'm so frustrated I just threw a fit and cried after spending 6 hours total on this.

I appreciate yall trying to help me on here. They better send me a new one via overnight shipping or refund my $250! I waited 2 weeks in excited anticipation....for what? this junk.
    01-10-12 10:24 PM
    and yea. it says OS 1.0.08.6067.
    01-10-12 10:30 PM
    I had the exact same problem. When the initial download looked like it would take hours, I phone the Support Line. They took me through the BB Desktop Download. My PB ended up being stuck. The Support folk tried everything, but to no avail. I got a replacement PB from my retailer and tried the procedure again. When the download looked like it was very very slow, I again phoned support. They suggested the desktop download. I warned them, but they insisted that the download would work. It didn't. The PB was totally stuck. The Support folk checked everything they could... router, etc.

I took the second box back to the retailer, and they offered to give me box that had already been "verified". And we did the download at the retailer's site. Everything fine.

I reported to BB Support that my opinion was that if the wifi download does not complete, or does not reach some point, then the PB is hooped.

My incident number was INC000024252019

Good luck
    01-11-12 01:47 AM
    They better send me a new one via overnight shipping or refund my $250! I waited 2 weeks in excited anticipation....for what? this junk.
    Yeah, they do. Register for your playbook support. Put in your trouble ticket. They have two methods 1) they try to fix yours (takes longer) 2) they get a credit card from you and you are sent a new playbook (you get one back the next day; they put a hold on the charge until they receive your old one then take it off). Either case it is free FedEx overnight shipping back and forth. Actually a pretty painless procedure. Just did it with a bad power on button.

Also, I'd update from a different WIFI source when you get the new one. Sounds like that is the problem. Give the playbook a chance. I think you'll like it. I do. Especially with OS2 on the horizon.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 01-11-12 at 11:12 AM.
    01-11-12 10:40 AM
    I'm having this problem too. Every time I press "Check for Updates" it keeps getting stuck at "You currently have the latest software installed." No matter how many times I press that each day, just the same old thing. It has been stuck for several weeks now. Damn thing...
    01-11-12 10:52 AM
    Hmm. I think the OP is literally stuck at the page when you are forced to update when you first turn the device on. He can only go back to previous config pages. If you are able to use the playbook and are just manually checking for updates, there are no updates after the initial. There should be the OS2 in Feb, though. In any case, if you can't use the playbook, send it back for repair. Don't wait.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 01-11-12 at 11:22 AM.
    01-11-12 11:20 AM
    Hmm. I think the OP is literally stuck at the page when you are forced to update when you first turn the device on. He can only go back to previous config pages. If you are able to use the playbook and are just manually checking for updates, there are no updates after the initial. There should be the OS2 in Feb, though. In any case, if you can't use the playbook, send it back for repair. Don't wait.
    If you're referring to my post, I was merely being sarcastic. I just keep checking for updates in hope for an early 2.0 release. However, it's been "stuck" on 1.0.8.6067 for quite some time now. lol
    01-11-12 11:42 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD