Well my playbook has been having issues being recognized by my computer, but when it was, i synced some music and pictures. Towards the end of the transfer, the device kept saying it was disconnected and reconnecting. After a bit, it just stayed disconnected. I decided to then do a reset of the device. After doing that, I have been stuck on the restart screen with the balloons for the past 45 min...LOL. Anyone else run into this? I am currently on hold with blackberry support
    04-19-11 11:18 PM
    Indeed, I have the exact same problem. Tried rebooting the Playbook and it was no help. Just get the restart screen like you. It has been over 30 minutes now. I hope tech support can help you and me.

Good luck!
    04-19-11 11:49 PM
    I had the same problem. The PB was working fine all day and then I powered it down. When I went to start it up again, all I got was the pretty Christmas lights.

I've read that some people have had some luck getting past this glitch by connecting the PB to their PC and running the desktop manager. I ended up returning mine to Staples earlier this evening. Reading about all the issues with the PBs from today's launch, I figure I'll wait for the next release.

Brian
    04-19-11 11:55 PM
    I too had the same problem as many on the forums, the playbook will continuously show the screen saver/blackberry playbook with the different colored circles.

Here is how I was able to fix it....

1) Turn your playbook off by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update
    7) Your computer will now download the much needed "debrick" file as talked about in earlier posts.

***NOTE*** I have tried to do this in several different ways, but the above method is the only one that worked. I hope this works.
    Vidge likes this.
    04-20-11 12:01 AM
    Yes, my Playbook ran fine all day too and like you said I powered it down and then it failed to start up on the next power-up (other than the Christmas Lights). I tried connecting it up to my PC and running Desktop Manager but to no avail. Looks like mine is going back tomorrow.
    04-20-11 12:02 AM
    I too had the same problem as many on the forums, the playbook will continuously show the screen saver/blackberry playbook with the different colored circles.

Here is how I was able to fix it....

1) Turn your playbook off by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update
    7) Your computer will now download the much needed "debrick" file as talked about in earlier posts.

***NOTE*** I have tried to do this in several different ways, but the above method is the only one that worked. I hope this works.
    Thanks Camel17, I will try your solution before I return the PB to the store for replacement.
    04-20-11 12:05 AM
    I am having the same issue.... Pretty pissed
    04-20-11 12:10 AM
    Captain, no pun intended, but I was in the same boat as you in regards to the PB being stuck at the colorful screen. If you do exactly what I said in the above post, you will find that the playbook will actually go through a clean re-install. DM will ask you to unplug your device, at which point you should unplug the device. The PB will go back to the fresh install screen.

As with any new software/hardware on the market, there is no possible way to "test" the software/hardware in the myriad of different ways that we are using it. Patience is the key
    Scotter75 likes this.
    04-20-11 12:19 AM
    Yes I read this in the other feeds and just finished fixing it about 20 minutes ago. Thanks you guys. Forum once against saves the day for me!
    04-20-11 12:31 AM
    Not to horn in on this thread, but I made the mistake of restarting my Playbook this morning when everytime I tried to play a game it said I must close other applications before doing so. I couldn't determine that there were any other applications running so my "PC brain" tells me to restart. I did this over two hours ago and I am still stuck on the "restarting Playbook" screen. I have tried holding down the power button, the power button and - button, the power button and - and + button and have gotten nowhere. I have tried connecting it to my PC and opening Blackberry Desktop and still nothing. Anyone else encounter this? Any advice?
    04-20-11 08:27 AM
    I'm on the phone with BB support and no help so far. I told the lady that I'm reading the crackberry forum and I'm going to follow the suggestion in the thread. Those BlackBerry Playbook floating balls are pretty and all but I need to get back to business. I hope this bug is fixed quick!
    04-20-11 12:02 PM
    Yes the trick is to leave Playbook plugged into computer then power off. Then turn playbook back on and you will get the software update ".debrick" lol. RIM is silly to name files ".debrick" to fixed a bricked Playbook. I'm installing now. It should be the fix.
    Vidge and invioeguru like this.
    04-20-11 12:30 PM
    I spent 3 hours on the phone with RIM support last night - just got my Playbook before it exhibited the same symptoms as described here. Only after I got off the phone - and they decided it was a hardware failure - did I find the exact instructions in this thread. It failed the first time - I suspect the battery wasn't fully charged - so I let it charge overnight.

I managed to get the software to download & install but once I disconnected it from the computer, it didn't finish the installation because the battery was down to 14%. How that happened, I have no idea. So right now, I'm charging it. Screen says the installation will resume when the batter gets to 20%.

Of course, I have no indication that it is charging, once the screen turned off.
    04-21-11 07:47 AM
    Hey Guys - My thread here tells the same story with how I did it, the battery drop in charge etc...

Working fine this morning at .1705 and restarted this morning with no problems..

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/re...usly-o-607025/

Hang in there, it will work and easier than calling RIM or returning...

Good luck !!
    04-21-11 07:59 AM
    I had the same exact problem last night before going to bed. Did multiple power off/on cycles, as well as the hard boot (both volume buttons with power).

I gave up and left it plugged in for usb charging off of my laptop with the pretty lights still glowing. This morning, I tried to power it up. I got the red light, then three yellow lights and it powered off.

I decided to plug in the wall charger. The red light came on, and the playbook proceeded to boot to the pretty lights. I walked away for about 3 minutes. When I came back, the Playbook was up and running. The battery icon was red and was showing about 1% charged.

So, overnight the battery completely discharged. For some reason, plugging the AC charger in fixed mine.

I believe this device will have difficulties with the lower charging voltage of the USB method. I will stick to AC until a fix is announced.

Good luck all!
    04-21-11 08:19 AM
    Rider Red - this will happen to my Blackberry Bold unless the laptop is left active, so when I travel I leave screen up (turn brightness on screen down to lowest) on laptop plugged in with Bold attached. If you put laptop in standby or hibernate while phone or playbook is plugged in, your battery will get sucked dry That should help you...

I don't want to hijack this thread, so let's stick to restart screen issues..
    04-21-11 10:05 AM
    This one worked for me. Tried to turn if off for about 15 minutes, once plugged into pc, worked great, THANKS!
    04-22-11 04:14 PM
    I just bought a PlayBook. I've had it about 24 hours and it seems to have narfed.

I'm trying the .debrick install. And I can't tell if it failed or what...

I brought it home, I charged it, I booted it (and got it to play with my WiFi), I got Bridge set up on my partner's Torch (my BB is too old, but we'll fix that in July), I got 2.0 installed, I installed the Desktop software, I installed a couple of apps (more on this in a moment), and then I loaded a community app that didn't seem to work right.

I closed the offending app, gave the system a few seconds and tried reopening it. Well, at that point my PB hung. And hung. And hung. No response, no gestures, no anything.

So I hard reset with the volume and power buttons. (My model is a little later; it's a 3415, so I can do this without screaming in frustration at the power button.) Wait for it to boot. Wait some more. Try it again. And again. De nada. Not even the pretty colours, just a PB logo screen. Gave it half an hour or so while I'm doing laundry. Still zilch.

Unfortunately, it seems to have gotten 75-80% of the way through the install and crashed with a message about a fatal error.

I saw a few people suggest that plugging it in might help (I guess all that restarting might have drained the battery), but the charging light isn't coming on. Is this normal?

Should I charge it for a couple of hours on the wall charger and try again?

Yearrgh.

-Betty-

ETA: Okay, so I plugged it in and it was doing the red-pause-red-red-red-pause thing, and I couldn't tell if it was charging or not, so I tried plugging it back into the computer but it didn't do anything, so I've put it back on the wall charger and now I'm not getting ANYTHING (not even red blinky-lights).

I'll leave it plugged in overnight, but if I can't get it going in the morning, I might just return the damned thing. I am all kinds of mad here, and I wanted to like this tablet, I really did!! Really? Twenty four hours and one crash later and it's completely useless? I bought it used/open box, but it worked when I got it, dang it.
    Last edited by bpunkert; 05-25-12 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Explaining lights
    05-25-12 08:16 PM
    Betty:

Check it out in a dark closet and see if the screen is really BLACK and off, or a backlight but dark gray. If ON, press the power button about 10 seconds and power it off. Plug it in for an hour or two.

Try restarting it with the power button. Press briefly and release. It can take some seconds to respond with a brief red light.

Failing that, again make sure it is really OFF (dark closet). Again charge for an hour.

Now start up DM Beta 7.x. Plug in the usb and wait. No reaction - press power button and watch DM. If it offers UPDATE, do so. It could take an hour....

Good luck.

Or return and get another one.
    05-25-12 10:32 PM
    pretty good thread~~~~~
    although i have not run into this situation....
    05-26-12 12:52 AM
    No, it was really off. I wont into the bathroom without the lights on and closed the door. No hint of gray.

I left it plugged in for two hours, pressed the power button and nothing. I think something is very very messed up internally. I left it unplugged overnight to see if draining it completely would force it to find the charger. Nothing. I've tried two different plugs in the house, including the one I originally charged it on. Nothing.

It somewhat escapes me why the Blackberry support site (where I also found the same information about updating and rewriting the software) would give you advice that would completely destroy your product. That seems counter intuitive.

I'm back to the store to see if they'll exchange it. Not real happy about this. If they give me guff, I may just return it altogether.

Pity, I wanted it for an upcoming trip in November so I wouldn't have to bring my whole laptop (which isn't all that big, but at 12" is still a lot bigger than a PlayBook.)

Betty
    05-26-12 10:54 AM
    Well, in the end, I went back to Best Buy and got a replacement unit. (They were very good about it and gave me a sealed new-box unit, and let me log into the store network to upgrade to OS2 and get it set up.)

In conversation with the CS rep, she explained that there was a known issue with a particular run and the power port not connecting properly. I suspect that it got down past that mysterious 1% threshold when it was rebooting / reinstalling and that's why it wouldn't charge.

We'll give it a few days and see what it does. Thanks for the help (and the shoulder to cry on when it all blew up in my face last night...)

=Betty=
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    05-26-12 04:18 PM
    Hope it goes smoothly now.
    05-26-12 06:08 PM
    you need cfp and a factory image (which in 1,5 GB) in order to debrick your playbook.
    08-20-12 10:32 PM
    I have the same problem and dont know what to do
    01-21-13 01:08 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD