Hey all

Okay, had the PB for a while, and I have to say, this has never worked well. It doesn't stream from a site I use to watch TV shows (projectfree.tv). My internet works excellently, the site works fine as it works from my laptop, but when the PB tries to run a show, it loads maybe 3-5 minutes, and "hangs". If I pause it and wait, it'll load another 3-5 minutes.

I have loaded, paused, and waited in excess of an hour, still no luck. Also, it often will get about 7-9 minutes into a show, and a reload symbol will appear, suggesting the show is over. NONE of these issues happen on any other device.

Mark
    10-01-12 02:09 PM
    Lies. I watched the full run of Family Guy on my PlayBook on that very same site.

Ok, maybe not lies, but the PlayBook can do it. What OS do you have? I'm on beta. 840 and I hardly ever have issues. One other thing worth mentioning, the service's you pick to stream from are a major factor. Putlocker and Gorillavid used to take turns on giving me a hard time/working flawlessly.

Clear your cache, reboot the device (hold power, vol +, vol -) and maybe update the OS. Hope it gets better.

And of course, we will no longer stream from there when the PlayBook gets proper streaming services.

And welcome to the forums.
    10-01-12 02:55 PM
    Yeah. I think the resolution of the videos can vary greatly. I just captured Season 1, Episode 1 of Family Guy on my PC and the total 22 minute vid was 68 MB, suggesting pretty low res. I played 20 minutes of America's Next Top Model on my PB without issue, and I'm now streaming an episode of Criminal minds, and while it is streaming OK, it does pause to buffer frequently. It seems like the vids come from different sources, so how well things stream can vary dependent on source and resolution.
    10-01-12 03:12 PM
    Well

I tried watching an ep of "How I met Your Mother" and I had to give up after trying repeatedly in 4 different browsers, and just go watch on my laptop.

According to the PB my OS is V2.0.1.358.
    10-01-12 03:27 PM
    I'm watching Doctor Who (past the 5 minute mark). Here is my advice:

1. The site you are watching is plagued with flash. Ensure you close the ads if you can. The PB does fairly well with flash, but multiple containers is too much for this great device. Close all tabs that accidentally open when scrolling, tapping, etc.
    2. If that doesn't work, clean cache and storage in PB Browser.
    3. Check your wifi dB levels in the PB. A good level is -45 to -35dB. That will ensure the streaming is continuous and with no much buffering.
    4. If that fails, give SimpleBrowser a try.

Enjoy!

ps. thanks for the link. I always wanted to watch Dr. Who =P
    10-01-12 05:53 PM
    I'm watching Doctor Who (past the 5 minute mark). Here is my advice:

1. The site you are watching is plagued with flash. Ensure you close the ads if you can. The PB does fairly well with flash, but multiple containers is too much for this great device. Close all tabs that accidentally open when scrolling, tapping, etc.
    2. If that doesn't work, clean cache and storage in PB Browser.
    3. Check your wifi dB levels in the PB. A good level is -45 to -35dB. That will ensure the streaming is continuous and with no much buffering.
    4. If that fails, give SimpleBrowser a try.

Enjoy!

ps. thanks for the link. I always wanted to watch Dr. Who =P
    You enjoy that maniac too? HA! FANTASTIC!

Yeah, clean sites help too, freetv embebs videos from other sites in a cluster flash of ads.
    10-01-12 06:04 PM
    I have been watching hour+ long episodes of Top Gear on Youtube in full screen on HD with no interruption ever.
    10-01-12 07:06 PM
    I was wondering when someone else was going to mention this. In my experience, Amazon videos and YouTube videos perform pretty much flawlessly. Though every once in awhile YouTube videos just won't load at all. The little spinny thing in the center of the viewing pane just spins indefinitely. This occasionally happens right on the YouTube Site, and quite a bit more often when the video is embedded in another site. And some sites are worse than others.. YT videos embedded at the Huffington Post never ever play for me.

This is also my experience on some of the US tv network websites. There, almost 100% of the time, videos will either not load at all or play for 3-4 minutes at a time and then pause to buffer or the video stalls while the audio keeps going. There is one network site that works great all the time though... I can't remember which one at the moment though. (Sadly it is not one that I watch a lot of shows on.)

This is why, for me, that Tablet TV app doesn't help at all.. For the most part, browser based streaming is too frustrating to bother with.

For awhile there I was watching eps of The Killing by actually downloading the entire video from Filebox using Web inspector. But that is just too much effort for me now.. And a dubious practice to me, morally.

My big question to those of you interested know is: Why is that? Why does Amazon ALWAYS work while the other places almost never work well on PB?
    And what if anything can one do (if anything) to get acceptable performance? Mine is a 64G model.

-Suzanne
    10-02-12 12:37 AM
    Hello, I have exactly the same issue as the original poster. It would have been nice had this worked since it would have been a great solution to watch project free tv on my LED TV via HDMI (using torch 9860 as remote control, can't help myself...that's pretty cool)...anyway, like other users i have noticed that some streaming sites like project free tv will stall and despite several attempts, will never load the entire video and always seems to hang early on. ON the other hand youtube seems to work very well, and in fact better than my pc. Often the spinning icon will appear on the PC and i'll grab my PB to watch the video...I have not tried any amazon videos or any other browsers. In the process of installing 1032 upgrade of OS 2, although there doesn't seem to be any comments about any of this in the fixes so i am not hoping for this to fix it...
    I'll keep checking to see if there is a solution.
    Thanks for your comments.
    10-03-12 11:11 PM
    So, nobody ever figured out the why of this then?

Mark
    10-28-12 10:10 PM
    I don't really have an answer to the issue but just for fun, after reading this I went to my usual site for TV that I use on my computer and tried it on my PB. (I'm new to PB. Only had it a week so this is the first time I've tried this) I searched the episode of The Walking Dead that aired tonight and it picked up pretty much right away. Just paused it for 2 mins to allow for the stream to get ahead and all was well. I've found that even with some youtube vids I've watched on my computer have had that slow lag at times. I would have to agree with a previous post and state that it is usually the source, whether it be putlocker, sockshare, or others, that is hit and miss. If one takes too long, close it and find another. Most good sites will offer multiple streams.
    10-29-12 12:28 AM
    Alright then....

Aside from project free tv - which has never worked on the PB but always on my laptop - what sites do you all suggest that are PB friendly?
    10-29-12 09:21 AM
    I'd say try tv-links.eu for tv and solarmovie.eu or movie2k.to for movies.
    10-29-12 02:15 PM
    hi. i bought the blackberry play book. wont stream jw player, takin it back, anyone know if the acer iconica a 100 works on jw plaer?? solar movie. eu links to jw player. doesnt work on playbook.
    12-04-12 01:41 AM
    hi. i bought the blackberry play book. wont stream jw player, takin it back, anyone know if the acer iconica a 100 works on jw plaer?? solar movie. eu links to jw player. doesnt work on playbook.
    All I can say is "what a poorly written site"...

I don't know what you're talking about. The PlayBook can handle jw Player. I find a new streaming site if I were you.
    12-04-12 09:53 AM
    it should be able to. thats why i bought it. it stops streaming exactly the way others are describing. i wrote that in a rush while working throug the new play book i bought. which i like, but it does not work on jw player, or div x, i cannot find an app. there are no apps.
    12-04-12 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD