Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By saudadeii
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Streaming over wifi from NAS

Hey everyone,

I know this is a topic that has been brought up several times. I've read through a lot of the threads, but still was unsure the best solution. Can anyone help clear things up?

Currently, I have:
    Net Shares File Explorer - but this only copies, right?
    LAN File Explorer - works for PC, but can't see NAS for some reason.
    :9000 - Twonky - Seems to work ok, but I don't quite understand how it works...

I'm just interested in streaming all the media I've recorded over the years and copied to my network attached storage (WD Live). Basically I want to lie in bed and watch videos I've recorded, without using the internet.

I've heard of Orb? How good is it?

Ideally, I would find something that would let me keep my PC off, and still work. But I've heard most solutions need a program running on a PC. If that's the only way, I guess I have to live it it.

Thanks for your help.
    CrackBerry Genius

Try sideloading ES File Explorer. I've heard it works and does not require a server be running on your PC.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Actually, that's one point I thought about adding to my post, but forgot. I don't know how to sideload apps, and would prefer a solution that avoided it. Though I suppose I should learn. Sideloading is the idea of saving Android apps to the playbook, correct? Since the Playbook can natively run Android apps, right?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,644 Global Posts

You can learn about sideloading in the sideloading sub-forum.

You can try turning on the http service (web server) on your NAS and using the browser.
    --
    8800 (Retired), 9000 (Retired), 9800 (T-Mobile), PB64 WiFi, Droid 4 (VZW)
    homer1475 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Sideloading is a piece of cake. Step 1- Download ES File Explorer bar file here- http://goodereader.com/apps/wp-conte...oad.php?id=186 Step 2- Install Google Chrome on your PC. Step 3- Go here in Chrome and follow the directions- PlayBook App Manager
    Thanked by:
    todbanner (11-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,018 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB6548C

Default Re: Streaming over wifi from NAS

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    Sideloading is a piece of cake. Step 1- Download ES File Explorer bar file here- http://goodereader.com/apps/wp-conte...oad.php?id=186 Step 2- Install Google Chrome on your PC. Step 3- Go here in Chrome and follow the directions- PlayBook App Manager
    This is the perfect solution! I now have access to all my media stored on my TB external in my office via playbook from my house! Win!

The best part was, I sideloaded the app as per instructions via remotedesktop on my office pc, from my playbook on my couch!! Sick!

Now if only I had an media player that would stream my iTues purchased media...
    Z10 STL100-3 10.2.1.3253 + 16GB PlayBook 2.1.0.1917
    DropBox: https://db.tt/sJ8qDim <-- sign up here and get bonus space.
    BoxCrypt: goo.gl/60mjre <-- Lock up your Dropbox account
    CrackBerry Genius

I use the twonky media server thats already part of the WD live box. Its really simple and will auto convert anything that isn't playabale on your PB to a playable format(AVI/AAC).

Just open the browser on your PB and type in the IP addy of your NAS box followed by a semi colon ":" and the port number. All your media foilders that you specified for twonky to look in will be shown.

The real trick is getting twonky setup properly and having it setup to auto transcode on the fly.
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    Thanked by:
    skilas (11-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

This is what I've been doing recently, using Twonky. I will eventually learn to sideload, but I would prefer an "every man's" solution for now.

How do you get Twonky to convert files? Unfortunately I recorded a bunch of my videos as mpg1, and the Playbook won't play these files. Any helpful advice?
    CrackBerry Genius

Not sure what version of twonky you have(5.1.9 for me), but in my advanced settings I have a "convert" check box. I just check that and specify the format from a list of available formats thats directly under the check box. I have this "convert" for audio, video, and pictures(pictures just upscale's and reformat's to jpeg).
    Cell Phone History:
    Motorola Bag phone > Motorola Star Tac gen1 > Motorola Star Tac gen 2 > Motorola Razr > BlackBerry Pearl > Iphone gen1 > BlackBerry Curve > BlackBerry Torch > BlackBerry Torch II > BlackBerry Bold 9900 > BlackBerry Z10 > PassPort

If you think my post helped you, please click the "Thanks" button over there!! -->
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Hmmm... I have 5.1.9 as well, but I can't find the advance settings.

When I go :9000, I go to config (or the wrench). Then I have the following options below. I'm just going to copy and paste. First in each list is just title, not actual option.

Server status
    Media Browser

Basic Setup (title)
    First steps
    Sharing

Advanced Setup (title)
    Media Receivers
    Network
    Maintenance

Support (title)
    FAQ
    Forum
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Streaming over wifi from NAS

maybe try davweb lite in app store, or there's an app called server. if not, they're still pretty fun apps to have... both free.
    I just had my first RIMISM today!!!!