Hey everyone.

I'm just curious as to whether or not the PlayBook will have DLNA capabilities. Some websites are saying that the PB does have DLNA, while others don't mention it at all.

I really want to be able to stream movies from my PlayBook to my HDTV via DLNA, instead of hooking up a 15ft HDMI-to-micro HDMI cable.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    03-23-11 06:54 PM
    Also, if streaming movies from my PB to my TV via DLNA is possible, can someone explain to me how you do it?

I've never streamed anything using DLNA and I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance!
    03-23-11 07:14 PM
    DLNA is a client /server type application where the DLNA server sends the movie via a network stream to a DLNA client that then displays it. What is not clear is if the Playbook can act as a DLNA server (it can stream movies to your TV if your TV has a DLNA client built in) or if the Playbook is the DLNA client and the movies get streamed to it for display on the Playbook screen by a remote DLNA capable file storage server.

Until it is confirmed (someone has one, it supports DLNA and they get it to work) nobody really knows exactly how to do it. Pure speculation here but if you look at this post you will see a "Video" app and a "Server Utils" app. If the Playbook is a client, you may be able to access remote videos via DLNA through that "Video" app. If it is a DLNA server, you may be able to launch it through the "Server Utils" app.

DLNA can also do pictures and music too so that makes things interesting also.

At this point, it's all speculation until it's released.
    quik4life likes this.
    03-23-11 07:59 PM
    This is hot on my "Want" list too. I just bought the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000 DLNA compliant A/V receiver. It's already on my home network and I can stream Internet Radio, says it will stream from my PC to but haven't got that set up yet.. I did download the iPhone app (yes I have an iPhone 4 but also a Bold 9700) and control it (volume, room control, movie sound settings, etc). To be able to stream To/From the Playbook would be a great feature. With DLNA becoming more of a standard, to be able to stream a presentation from the Playbook to a big screen..wow

Update: I did see Nasdaq.com is reporting DLNA Media Streaming support for the Playbook....hope they are correct!
    RIM's BlackBerry Playbook To Hit Market On April 19
    Last edited by jpcarna; 03-23-11 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Update
    03-23-11 10:23 PM
    I came across this article from "down under" mentioning Playbook has certified DLNA. Difference Between Apple iPad 2 and Blackberry PlayBook in Australia | Difference Between | Apple iPad 2 vs Blackberry PlayBook in Australia
    Last edited by easthunter; 03-28-11 at 11:14 AM. Reason: to shorten URL reference
    03-28-11 11:13 AM
    Awesome. I wonder if it will be both a server and a client, or just one or the other? I'm actually more interested in client with my current setup (computer is the server, and my Blu-Ray is a client but doesn't like very many formats or have very many features). Otherwise I was debating buying a cheap computer to leave plugged into the TV to do it, but that's not really ideal on the wallet...
    04-01-11 10:08 PM
    I can see it more likely being a DLNA client, though server capabilities would be great.

I already have several terabytes of movies and TV on my NAS that I play on my TV via DLNA on my PS3. The ability to access these on my PlayBook in rooms in the house or even the garden via DLNA would be great, but not a deal breaker for me.

The way I see it is that if someone wants something that can server DLNA data, they are going to want more than 64Gb of storage and that if they are soemwhere that they want to play back a movie from the playbook on a larger screen there is more likely to be an available HDMI port than DLNA client. Therfore the Playbook as a DLNA client, yes definately a good application. As a DLNA server it doesnt really carry too much merit other than as an exercise proving that it can be done.
    Last edited by PDSchofield; 04-01-11 at 10:47 PM.
    04-01-11 10:32 PM
    A tablet that integrates with my home network and that can act as a remote for all my digital content (video, music, pictures) between my main pc (server) and my tv is rapidly becoming an essential need in my life. If playbook can't offer that to me I have to question it's utility in my digital life if other tablets can achieve this.

To be an iPad killer and win the consumer segment the playbook has to achieve this.
    04-09-11 06:11 PM
    I don't know what DLNA is, but I know the PlayBook has WiFi file/media streaming. I saw it at the demo

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 06:51 PM
    Interesting how they don't mention DNLA certification or compatibility on the spec sheet and it wasn't mentioned before...

Hm
    04-09-11 07:32 PM
    As I own DLNA Hifi, TV, NAS and BlueRay I would love DLNA.

Using it with WMP. Its very easy: right click- play to- ...

It's like Apple TV without using the Apple TV box...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-11 01:24 AM
    If you playbook is DLNA-Certified,you can enjoy your movie anytime you want over DLNA.All what you need is a perfect software to convert you video from different formats to the format which can be approved by DLNA.
    07-04-11 12:16 AM
    Anyone know a way to turn my PlayBook into a garage door opener? While we're speculating, do you think they'll add this functionality? It would make my life so much easier.
    07-04-11 11:06 AM
    Anyone know a way to turn my PlayBook into a garage door opener? While we're speculating, do you think they'll add this functionality? It would make my life so much easier.
    This is rapidly becoming an essential need in my life. If playbook can't offer that to me I have to question it's utility in my digital life if other tablets can achieve this.

To be an iPad killer and win the consumer segment the playbook has to achieve this.
    07-04-11 11:30 AM
    DLNA support is coming to the Playbook in a future update, according to RIM.

BlackBerry PlayBook DLNA Media Streaming Certification Coming Soon - BerryReview
    07-04-11 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD