Hey Guys,

I have a Synology NAS with media on it.
    I have a playbook and would like to connect to it via an ntfs or samba share.
    It it not running a webservice or anything.

I have not sideloaded my PlayBook as the talks about them removing this functionality.

Is there any way with what I have available to stream from a network location?

Thanks
    05-14-12 08:16 AM
    I have a DS212j and haven't yet figured out how to stream to my Playbook. As of the latest Synology management software the Android apps for these boxes, including DS Audio, don't work when ported to bar files. Would love to hear if any others have had better success.

Dave
    05-14-12 08:58 AM
    I've sideloaded DSFile 1.0.3-015 and DSAudio 1.4-056 and both work flawlessly on the Playbook. I can use DSFile to browse my DS411 and stream supported video types to my Playbook. DSAudio works for my MP3 library stored on the DS411 as well.
    05-14-12 11:08 AM
    Can i do this without Sideloading?
    05-14-12 11:10 AM
    Anyone?
    Seriously PB cannot stream from network location?

How easy is it to sideload?
    05-15-12 06:26 AM
    I've sideloaded DSFile 1.0.3-015 and DSAudio 1.4-056 and both work flawlessly on the Playbook. I can use DSFile to browse my DS411 and stream supported video types to my Playbook. DSAudio works for my MP3 library stored on the DS411 as well.
    What firmware are you using for the DS411?
    05-15-12 09:37 AM
    Anyone?
    Seriously PB cannot stream from network location?

How easy is it to sideload?
    ya, so far there's no native support to read streaming media from a NAS. its a huge omission.

I'm not sure what android apps work that support this, i'm still searching myself. Right now I just copy over WIFI share videos i want to watch. but it's annoying having an extra step when i have a home server i built with the sole intention of streaming media to various devices
    05-15-12 09:46 AM
    What firmware are you using for the DS411?
    Firmware is the current DSM 4.0
    05-15-12 10:27 AM
    ya, so far there's no native support to read streaming media from a NAS. its a huge omission.

I'm not sure what android apps work that support this, i'm still searching myself. Right now I just copy over WIFI share videos i want to watch. but it's annoying having an extra step when i have a home server i built with the sole intention of streaming media to various devices
    Sideloading ES File Explorer gives you LAN access to shares as well and includes their media player which isn't great but it works.

I use a combination of the native media player, mVideoPlayer (sideloaded) and the ES File Explorer which covers most of what I need to stream for video.
    05-15-12 10:31 AM
    There is an easy way to achieve this if you have an always on PC or don't mind switching on a laptop or pc to facilitate it.

I have a laptop that is always on for seeding and TV purposes so in my case I simply mount a share from the NAS on the laptop as x: or whatever then use the excellent LanFileExplorer app on the playbook and stream movies/music from there.
    Works flawlessly!
    05-15-12 03:17 PM
    There is an easy way to achieve this if you have an always on PC or don't mind switching on a laptop or pc to facilitate it.

I have a laptop that is always on for seeding and TV purposes so in my case I simply mount a share from the NAS on the laptop as x: or whatever then use the excellent LanFileExplorer app on the playbook and stream movies/music from there.
    Works flawlessly!
    excuse my ignorance but if you're, for example, at a starbucks on wifi with your playbook, can you access music and videos? or must you be at home within your own network?
    10-21-12 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD