I just downloaded, tried and deleted a couple of apps (ghost commander, word cards�)

I am not sure, but they seemed like android apps�so when I checked my available memory after their loading and deletion, I noticed that 1st it dipped lower than I ever saw (150MB or so on loading) and then the highest I ever saw (670 on deleting). I must also note that my normal when ALL apps are closed (I have a total 82 apps) is about 585MB�the unit continued to release memory at 670MB even after I .ran some other apps and closed them.

When I tried to open another previously installed android app, it took for ever to initialize - much longer than before- but the available memory continued to stay high after closing it. Only when i shut and restarted the unit, the available returned to what I normally see -585MB.

What was going on? Is it android run time dropping in and out ? Is it harmful to my PB's Operating system ?
    05-06-12 03:40 AM
    I have seen similar when deliberately trying to overload my PB with a bunch of 'droid apps as obtained from the app store. I was following a tip on how to wipe memory without a reboot. I ended up with 660+ mb. I rationalized this in my little world as QNX removing the android player (for a time). Doc Neutron.
    05-07-12 05:45 PM
    Same thing happens here.
    Android is always running and when you close it you reclaim an additional 100MB (up to 650MB) from the usual 550MB. And when you run an app, it starts more of the Android core which drops memory to around 300-400MB.
    05-07-12 06:48 PM
    thank you guys...glad to hear that my guesses about the android run time were experienced/shared by others.

It now stands to reason that someone (like myself) who only uses native apps and does not care for the android apps, should be able to PERMANENTLY free his PB's RAM of 100 MB android run time for the use he/she desires...

is there a way to do it w/o harming the unit ?
    05-08-12 06:02 PM
    Not without root. You need to do the open/close trick.

The reason why RIM pre-started Android in OS2.0 was to improve Android startup times. The apps were taking too long otherwise and this was a disincentive for porting. Now the Android startup time is done in the boot up stage instead and an extra 100MB is apparent throughout your session unless you manage to close it.
    The PB having 1GB of RAM, this shouldn't be too much of an issue though.
    05-08-12 06:38 PM
    rational_mind, if you load up a big batch of non-Android apps, especially the browser, such that free memory drops to below 100MB, maybe more like 50MB, it appears you can fairly consistently kill the Android player. Doing this immediately after startup, then exiting all those apps, should generally get you up to above 600MB free RAM.
    05-08-12 06:38 PM
    Why even worry bout that tho? Just let the PB kill android player when it needs too... Thats the whole point of RAM. Theres no need for constantly wanting to free your RAM. Smart OS's utilize the RAM for all sorts of caching / buffering nowadays.
    So, the more you try to free your RAM the more u are forcing outta cache / buffers which could in effect slower it down.
    05-09-12 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD