My laptop is not very secure (pirating, pr0n etc.) So I don't do anything important on it, how good is the playbook for stock trading, I don't have a problem with getting a new online broker?
    is it better than a blackberry smartphone?
    12-04-11 08:21 AM
    The 7" screen definitely helps for on-the-go quick stock info searches, trends and news. Bridging gives the PB a big advantage. PB provides full online broker websites for trading with online brokers, tD/scott etc. Do your business buy/sell and close it especially in unsecure wifi areas.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    12-04-11 08:56 AM
    No problems trading. Works fine. Just save url in favorites. PB is fastest boot & trade!
    12-04-11 09:34 AM
    is there an app for trading for example etrade?
    12-04-11 09:43 AM
    You typically don't need an APP, just use the web site of the brokerage. The one thing that will not work on a Playbook are tools that use java applications in a Java Virtual Machine. These JVM apps are typically a paid app through a brokerage for more advanced users. I am only familiar with the tool I use on my PC which runs in a JVM and looks like the ones advertised on TV, but when you make a trade it just opens the web based order entry of the brokerage, so to make trades, it is using the part of the Brokerage web site that works on the Playbook.

In addition, if your brokerages tools are written in Silverlight, or other older Microsoft specific technologies, they will not work on a Playbook.

In regards to eTrade, you will just have to check it out yourself. If it is just web based order entry, it should work.
    12-04-11 10:15 AM
    I use Etrade and their full web site works great on the PB.
    12-04-11 11:53 AM
    Just remember that in open, public wifi sites, there may be security issues, even if the url is a protected one. There may be a way to capture input - at least, that's what I've read.
    12-04-11 12:13 PM
    No problem here trading. like others have said. find one you likeand just use the web browser url. good luck.
    12-04-11 01:08 PM
    The only real-time streaming quotes that I have found compatible with the PB is the "Portfolio" tab at MarketWatch - My Portfolio .
    Make sure to access the url above to get the non-mobile url (for some reason, PB only gets the mobile site by default at Marketwatch).
    While it does not provide bid/ask, the quotes are as real-time as you will get for free, and very nicely done. It must be Flash or HTML5, as opposed to any of the myriad useless Java app quotes services...
    I saved the bookmark to my homescreen, and placed it in favorites.
    Last edited by saescott; 12-04-11 at 02:26 PM.
    12-04-11 02:22 PM
    Hmm I have had mixed results with this. TD Waterhouse UK does not recognise the browser and will not allow me to log in they do however have a fantastic Iphone App. So that's on the Ipod.

However the desktop browser here works without any issue and allows me to enjoy the full site.

It would be nice to have a good trading app optimized for the tablet though.
    12-04-11 04:10 PM
    Thanks, all.
    12-04-11 04:59 PM
    Who likes real time quotes, nice interface etc? Well I tried a lot of apps on the ipad (Etrade app, TDAmeritrade app etc), but frankly nothing comes close to TDAmeritrade Trade Architect, IMO. It requires flash however. Enter Playbook. Observations:

- beautiful customizable interface
    - cool investing tools
    - real time quotes
    - realtime CNBC feed (optional to play)
    - lots more
    - does not timeout the screen!! huge plus
    - supports pinch zoom
    - has not crashed on me once!

You simply launch it from the Ameritrade website, so yes, you need an account there.

Just wanted to give a little back here. This alone is worth the price of admission for PB ownership for me.

Cheers all.
    12-07-11 07:03 PM
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

+10
    12-07-11 07:06 PM
    I trade but not big, only a little playing money just to see how I can do so I use sharebuilder, pretty good tool. I used the appfor my 9650(tour) but they don't have the new OS7 or playbook app yet so you will need to just use the url. If you wantto use it PM me for a url that will give you $50 to start with trading.
    12-07-11 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD