Downloaded update for bb desktop manager and I cannot backup my playbook.I have never been able to backup my playbook.Nothing has changed.I still love my playbook.
    02-14-12 08:37 PM
    Sounds like you sideloaded the 'swiped' Android 1 application. If you did, you will never be able to backup until you do a security wipe on your PB.

Ed
    02-14-12 08:39 PM
    what about for those who has a stock PB with 1.0.8.6067? The only way for me to back up my PB before I had to do a full wipe was access the PB files from my PC and back up my photos and videos first then full wipe. I was then able to complete a back up and restore my photos and videos but the demo video was lost. Once I restored my downloaded games and apps, I was back to square one and could not back up again. Grrrrr.....
    02-14-12 08:55 PM
    Call rim tech support, they will be more than glad to help and walk you through it. To be honest though, I also had trouble with my bold and DM when i first got it. I ended up uninstalling DM, restarting pc, reinstall DM latest version from blackberry website, restart pc, worked
    02-14-12 09:09 PM
    DM backup story - Take 467!

The other day, I decided to backup my newish 64gig after adding a few more apps to it. I had backed it up about a week ago. Well, it failed. I rebooted the pb and closed a few apps on the win computer. It again failed but this time with that RED TEXT error message wherein it can't even allow the selective/custom (and which my 32gig never could backup until I security wiped it). Reboot one more time - it succeeded! I have no idea why (oh, I've been using the DM beta 7.x for a few months now).

I have NOT installed the OS2 beta on the pb and never the android stuff.

The 32 gig is similarly fail/success/success/fail, etc. It, too, has the normal OS on it.

I have sideloaded apps on the 32 but never the android/os2 stuff.

I have not tried with today's DM just yet.

Conclusion - reboot both units (pb and computer) and try a few times. Don't run anything too intensive on computer and close apps on pb.
    primusd likes this.
    02-14-12 09:10 PM
    I've had my playbook backup fail as well. Error message came up.. tried again it worked. Only hiccup ive ever had
    02-14-12 09:37 PM
    I'm having the same problem, still. I have never loaded anything other than official stuff (no beta, sided-loaded anything, nothing, nada...), I can't get my the applications to backup. I can get everything else though. No matter what I do, I've restarted my pc and pb, turned off bridge, bt, and wifi, nothing helps. I used to be able to back up with no problems. I'm hoping 2.0 will fix this, I just hope I don't lose anything I need because of this issue.
    02-14-12 09:39 PM
    I wonder what or if there is any commonality to this. Since day one my PB has always backed up fine, as well as my 9930. I back up my phone and PB about once a week. When I update DM, I always uninstall the older version first. The last PB update I did was through DM also. I don't do OTA.

Tonight I unistalled DM, installed the new, rebooted my laptop, opened DM and backed up my PB and 9930 without a hitch. Then I did the same procedure with my wife's PB and DM on her computer. Clean install and backup. I'm sorry this is plaguing some.

Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-15-12 12:28 AM
    I had the same issue with 1.0.8 but a suggestion form someone ( I can't recall who) had suggested performing a custom backup of I think it was Application Data and settings first. After that completed then try a full backup. I have no idea why but that worked in my case.
    02-15-12 12:35 AM

The other day, I decided to backup my newish 64gig after adding a few more apps to it. I had backed it up about a week ago. Well, it failed. I rebooted the pb and closed a few apps on the win computer. It again failed but this time with that RED TEXT error message wherein it can't even allow the selective/custom (and which my 32gig never could backup until I security wiped it). Reboot one more time - it succeeded! I have no idea why (oh, I've been using the DM beta 7.x for a few months now).

I have NOT installed the OS2 beta on the pb and never the android stuff.

The 32 gig is similarly fail/success/success/fail, etc. It, too, has the normal OS on it.

I have sideloaded apps on the 32 but never the android/os2 stuff.

I have not tried with today's DM just yet.

Conclusion - reboot both units (pb and computer) and try a few times. Don't run anything too intensive on computer and close apps on pb.

....and moral to this story, steer clear of BETA anything.
    02-15-12 03:08 AM
    I wonder what or if there is any commonality to this. Since day one my PB has always backed up fine, as well as my 9930. I back up my phone and PB about once a week. When I update DM, I always uninstall the older version first. The last PB update I did was through DM also. I don't do OTA.

Tonight I unistalled DM, installed the new, rebooted my laptop, opened DM and backed up my PB and 9930 without a hitch. Then I did the same procedure with my wife's PB and DM on her computer. Clean install and backup. I'm sorry this is plaguing some.

While I didn't uninstall the DM before getting the new update, my install was clean and sans problems. Checking my Control Panel, I only see the BB DM on my PC, newest update. My take on all these backup issues have everything to do with that BETA OS and/or BETA DM as far as I'm concerned; and if you only have the OEM OS installed and never installed a BETA program and still have a problem, your best bet is to uninstall the DM from your PC, restart your PC, then re-download your DM. That should fix your backup issues; if not, then it's definitely time to restore the PB back to its original unused state as it comes out of the box, and start from scratch.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    02-15-12 03:16 AM
    I only installed the DM Beta because the "normal" DM did not work from June to December. Nor did the prior "normal" DM. UNinstall, reinstall all of those NORMAL DM's did not help. So I went with the Beta. And it has worked fine for my bb phone and has on occasion worked for both of my pb's (where's BJ to laugh at me having TWO pb's?).

From my wonderfully controlled experiments (I was a scientist in a former life), it is some combination of apps on the pb, files on the pb, DM is dumb, and/or what may also be running on my computer (cpu is busy so it can't zip up the various apps).

Oh, and my real thoughts - the phase of the moon AND wind direction at the time.
    02-15-12 09:12 AM
    Sorry, didn't see this thread when I started another last night - just wanted to cross-reference, as there is some potentially useful information in both:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...roblem-697816/

Had a similar experience where updated, backup failed (as always), rebooted PB, backup of settings worked (not apps). Didn't try PC update, but will later. Thx!
    02-15-12 09:30 AM

The other day, I decided to backup my newish 64gig after adding a few more apps to it. I had backed it up about a week ago.
    Would be very curious to know if you recall what new apps you loaded? Wondering if there is enough of a sample size/willingness here that we might collectively identify some of the offending apps...
    02-15-12 09:32 AM
    FWIW, the Mac version of Desktop Software will backup a PlayBook that will not backup on a PC. I had the backup problem since April using a PC and it wasn't until the Mac software was upgraded to support PlayBook backups, was I able to back up my PlayBook.

As mentioned by F2, a security wipe will get backups working on the PC, but eventually they will fail again.
    primusd likes this.
    02-15-12 09:40 AM
    FWIW, the Mac version of Desktop Software will backup a PlayBook that will not backup on a PC. I had the backup problem since April using a PC and it wasn't until the Mac software was upgraded to support PlayBook backups, was I able to back up my PlayBook.

As mentioned by F2, a security wipe will get backups working on the PC, but eventually they will fail again.
    Interesting point... I'll have to try on my mac. I wonder if using the PB across mac/pc platforms has anything to do with the backup issue?
    02-15-12 10:03 AM
    Interesting point... I'll have to try on my mac. I wonder if using the PB across mac/pc platforms has anything to do with the backup issue?
    I think it is just a limitation of the Windows OS or the programming language they wrote the Desktop software with. The Mac being on a Unix type OS probably plays better with large files. Rim knows the problem, perhaps somebody can post the explanation.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-15-12 at 10:55 AM.
    02-15-12 10:17 AM
    Would be very curious to know if you recall what new apps you loaded? Wondering if there is enough of a sample size/willingness here that we might collectively identify some of the offending apps...
    I don't think it will be conclusive. As I wrote, it failed twice, the second time with what I will call that RED TEXT WARNING where it does not even get to the stage where you can click those 3 selective operations. Then I just ran it again and it worked. There are some apps that are obviously implicated - that recipe one and the xxxx-maps-on-device (which creates tons of files in the range of 40,000!) but even with the MAP one, it has worked on occasion.

And as some of us have concluded, the apps are not really the problem, as DM should be able to handle them with graceful error processing. Or if not, Rim should warn developers of a problem.
    primusd likes this.
    02-15-12 10:32 AM
    I don't think it will be conclusive. As I wrote, it failed twice, the second time with what I will call that RED TEXT WARNING where it does not even get to the stage where you can click those 3 selective operations. Then I just ran it again and it worked. There are some apps that are obviously implicated - that recipe one and the xxxx-maps-on-device (which creates tons of files in the range of 40,000!) but even with the MAP one, it has worked on occasion.

And as some of us have concluded, the apps are not really the problem, as DM should be able to handle them with graceful error processing. Or if not, Rim should warn developers of a problem.
    I see what you're saying... Thanks for the info here and in the other thread on this. Will try some rebooting later and see what I can get to work.
    02-15-12 10:44 AM
    Well, another followup. I just successfully ran a back up of my 64 gig with the new DM. My computer rebooted this morning and while Firefox was loaded, I was not doing anything on the computer (showering so it was just backing up).
    02-15-12 11:13 AM
    I downloaded and installed BlackBerry Desktop Software 7.0.0.43 this morning. I have successfully backed up my Blackberry Bold 9780 and will attempt to backup my BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB after I finish recharging the Bluetooth keyboard which needs USB cable for the recharge. I will report on the outcome of backing up the tablet later today.
    02-15-12 11:32 AM
    I don't know if this holds for everyone, but you sir are absolutely on the money! I tried a backup on my mac using latest DM for mac (hadn't even updated to the PB-supported version yet) and while the first time it wouldn't show me the selective backup items, I rebooted my PB and voila -- first successful backup of the application data!

I can't believe all this time I just needed to try it on my mac (I'd always assumed that with DM being a few gens behind on mac vs. pc that it was inferior).

Infinite thanks robsteve!

(the only downside being that now that I can backup, it clears me to do the wipe I need to do to troubleshoot the camera/video black screen problem )
    02-15-12 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD