You just described an "all-in-one" pc. Most don't have touch screen but some do. You should look into that, the tablet is not for you.

Who the HE-double-hockey-sticks wants to carry around a friggin' 15" monitor wherever they go?????

heck, I don't even what to schlepp the 9.7" ipad around. My portable electronics need to be....drumroll please...PORTABLE. A 1.5 lb device is too heavy to hold for more than a couple moments, and the size of the ipad is too big to carry around unless one wants to be an uber-geek.
    12-17-10 10:07 AM
    I think Microsoft makes a laptop like that, the screen tilts into a tablet form (it was shown in one of the Windows 7 commercials), or some rotates and flips backwards over the keyboard.

Perhaps this is what was in mind? Dell Inspiron Duo Review - Laptops - CNET Reviews[object%20NodeList];resultsShell
    Last edited by sookster54; 12-17-10 at 10:17 AM.
    12-17-10 10:07 AM
    Reminds me of the mid 80's laserdisc fiasco.
    ....not to mention my HD DVD player I've been meaning to list on eBay
    12-17-10 11:32 AM
    I think Microsoft makes a laptop like that, the screen tilts into a tablet form (it was shown in one of the Windows 7 commercials), or some rotates and flips backwards over the keyboard.

Perhaps this is what was in mind? Dell Inspiron Duo Review - Laptops - CNET Reviews[object%20NodeList];resultsShell
    I like it, but it's really just a touch enabled netbook. Which is really cool, but I would go with the Acer Iconia personally.

Acer Iconia homepage.
    Dual touch screens, major coolness. Since I already use an Acer Aspire One Netbook, and it easily goes most places with me in a little laptop bag, the Acer Iconia would be a welcome and easy switch for me.

But the next generation of mobile computing is going to be tablets. These touch enabled netbooks are nice and will compete, but too much is invested in tablets. You can get an HP printer with an Android tablet in it, lots of people want to use iPad in the enterprise. There is a high demand for reliable tablets, and I do think there is a market for 7" tablets, I probably will still the get the Acer Iconia, as my mobile computer, but use the Playbook as something in between my netbook and berry, fits in a jacket pocket or something while a netbook cannot do that.
    Last edited by aawilson; 12-17-10 at 12:24 PM.
    12-17-10 12:22 PM
    What I don't get is the iPad and enterprise, is there an actual demand for use of it in the enterprise business? My sister works in office buildings and she says never once has she seen anyone using one, I travel alot and I've only seen a select few at airports playing with them (Angry Birds or such), haven't seen any on the streets or office yet myself.
    12-17-10 12:37 PM
    Maybe you are right but I did read somewhere about IT guys complaining about iPhones and iPads. Plus I thought Rim was releasing a tablet to keep its customers from buying Apple products, but now that I think about it, I did see Verizon stores in my area using some really ugly tablet thing, replacing their standard computers.
    I guess there is probably not as high as demand as I made it seem.

I know lots of sound guys who do use an iPad at work, but I think they're not really behind corporate firewall or carry any data that sensitive.
    Last edited by aawilson; 12-17-10 at 01:08 PM.
    12-17-10 12:46 PM
    I have an ipad that I use for pleasure and for work and I have to say the 10 inch size is perfect. While it is not a laptop replacement, it does obviate the need to bring a laptop when you travel and you can still use it for creating, editing documents and other work tasks when you connect a blue tooth keyboard. I use logmein and have access to my work desktop. While the 7" size would fit into your pocket (or just about any purse) there is no way you could use it in lieu of a laptop. I was shocked when I saw how small the galaxy tab was in person. Don't forget, it is 2" smaller diagonally - which equates to about 60% of the actual size. It really seemed more like a really big phone. This might actually create a market for an additional device. I could see having my phone and the playbook and the ipad.
    aawilson likes this.
    12-17-10 12:58 PM
    What I don't get is the iPad and enterprise, is there an actual demand for use of it in the enterprise business? My sister works in office buildings and she says never once has she seen anyone using one, I travel alot and I've only seen a select few at airports playing with them (Angry Birds or such), haven't seen any on the streets or office yet myself.
    I've seen many very senior executives using them (SVP's, COO, etc.) of Fortune 500 companies using them.

I work for a strategy consulting firm. For me, I do too much intensive editing (primarily word and powerpoint). My clients don't edit my documents but use them to guide discussions. iPad's have become a very common tool particularly for use on conference calls, etc.
    12-17-10 01:24 PM
    I have an ipad that I use for pleasure and for work and I have to say the 10 inch size is perfect. While it is not a laptop replacement, it does obviate the need to bring a laptop when you travel and you can still use it for creating, editing documents and other work tasks when you connect a blue tooth keyboard. I use logmein and have access to my work desktop. While the 7" size would fit into your pocket (or just about any purse) there is no way you could use it in lieu of a laptop. I was shocked when I saw how small the galaxy tab was in person. Don't forget, it is 2" smaller diagonally - which equates to about 60% of the actual size. It really seemed more like a really big phone. This might actually create a market for an additional device. I could see having my phone and the playbook and the ipad.
    Which is exactly what I am after. I have reasons for not wanting a laptop replacement, full on MS Word and Excel, Windows executables etc... Some things I regularly use for work or play, for all effective reasons, will still only work on a Windows machine, (or perhaps a Mac, but for $2000 I'd expect MS Office already installed!). So yes, I am in the market for an additional device. Like you, I can plan on carrying with me, a phone, a Playbook, and a netbook. For times when I don't need Windows, I can pull the Playbook out of my netbook case and leave the netbook behind, perhaps leaving it on and hopefully running VNC or RDM, so I can still see my desktop from the Playbook.
    Last edited by aawilson; 12-17-10 at 01:31 PM.
    12-17-10 01:26 PM
    I actually seen a Galaxy tab for the first time at Best Buy yesterday and got to play with it some. The 7" screen was really nice.
    12-19-10 10:02 AM
    I actually seen a Galaxy tab for the first time at Best Buy yesterday and got to play with it some. The 7" screen was really nice.
    i have an iPad, and i must say that it is much much too large and heavy to just carry around, and is even too large for 1 handed use. Holding it while reading a website or anything onl lasts about 15 min til it starts to get heavy. ive played with the galaxy tab and IMO 7 in is perfect for a tablet. larger than a phone, but not netbook/laptop sized.
    12-19-10 10:35 AM
211 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD