up his sleeve on the Playbook "release". What with the delays, the "pre-order" fiasco and the retailers that don't have a clue on when they can expect delivery, let alone WHAT the Playbook is ("The Apple Playbook, um yeah we expect it soon", "Um yeah, we're getting BOTH Playbooks, the 10" and the 7").

Plus the Staples issue with canceling pre-orders without notifications, but going to make another order and ship without even telling their customers, then Staples.ca disallowing a $50 coupon code AFTER the order was placed because that code "is just for laptops and tablets??????"

RIM you better manage your logistics and "business partners" way better than this.

No wonder you've lost 80% of your market value. You've alienated 80% of your market!!!!!~
    04-01-11 02:41 PM
    Just out of curiosity, given the backorder of iPad 2 units, I'm wondering which unit you could get your hands on first.
    04-01-11 03:28 PM
    Just out of curiosity, given the backorder of iPad 2 units, I'm wondering which unit you could get your hands on first.
    That's because Apple SOLD OUT, this is because RIM can't get them out.
    04-01-11 03:36 PM
    Why don't you just grab yourself an iPad and stop whining like a little sissy? Once again it's not that serious.
    04-01-11 03:44 PM
    It's staples that is giving everyone grief - not other retailers. Given how many people are cranky about the staples issue should show you how much demand there is for the playbook.
    04-01-11 03:46 PM
    up his sleeve on the Playbook "release". What with the delays, the "pre-order" fiasco and the retailers that don't have a clue on when they can expect delivery, let alone WHAT the Playbook is ("The Apple Playbook, um yeah we expect it soon", "Um yeah, we're getting BOTH Playbooks, the 10" and the 7").

Plus the Staples issue with canceling pre-orders without notifications, but going to make another order and ship without even telling their customers, then Staples.ca disallowing a $50 coupon code AFTER the order was placed because that code "is just for laptops and tablets??????"

RIM you better manage your logistics and "business partners" way better than this.

No wonder you've lost 80% of your market value. You've alienated 80% of your market!!!!!~
    Perhaps you should take a look at iPad 2 availability, cause I'm betting my PB arrives before you could get an iPad 2. Apple store lists 3-4 week backorder. Or is Steve Jobs somehow exempt from critizism?

iPad - iPad WiFi - iPad WiFi + 3G - Apple Store (U.S.)
    04-01-11 03:53 PM
    They sold out because they didn't make alot
    04-01-11 03:57 PM
    Well, even if Steve's not, its nice to see you, as a member of the CB community, are getting a laugh out of it. Very classy.
    04-01-11 04:02 PM
    They did sell out, but only because they don't ship many units. They ship very few units to make it look like its more popular then it is. It is a strategy of theirs. Seems like it worked on you.
    04-01-11 04:03 PM
    some people are just die hard kool-aid drinkers, peroid.
    04-01-11 04:07 PM
    some people are just die hard kool-aid drinkers, peroid.

OHHHHH YEAHHHHHHH
    04-01-11 04:08 PM
    Jobs is a clown that resonates with his disciples but rankles the rest of us. He's so brilliant when he claims that "Blu-ray is a big bag of hurt", and "7 inch tablets are DOA". Right-oh, Stevie! Whatever you say!
    04-01-11 04:09 PM
    RIM did sell out.
    You should really find the facts before you complain...
    04-01-11 04:23 PM

All store are getting there PB training April 7th or something like that then they will know....
    Turbo666 likes this.
    04-01-11 04:25 PM
    I just love people who dig a grave and make claims before something is even "alive". It's kinda moronic but more then anything its fear. Your afraid someone may have a actual product that will make you "cool" product not so cool. Threads like this are pointless unless your claims can be validated and that won't happen until it launches.
    Silly troll we fed you, now go away. Please
    04-01-11 04:35 PM
    They did sell out, but only because they don't ship many units. They ship very few units to make it look like its more popular then it is. It is a strategy of theirs. Seems like it worked on you.
    I'm not a fan of iphone or ipad so don't think that I'm defending Apple, but what you said doesn't seem to be sound business practice. As a business person myself I wouldn't delibritely limit supplies as a "marketing strategy". That's plain dumb. I would want to sell my product to the maximum number Of people who want it and have money. Purposely holding back supples would be the dumbest sales strategy and I don't think Apple is that dumb. Not being able to produce to fulfill the demand is something different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-11 05:20 PM
    I'm not a fan of iphone or ipad so don't think that I'm defending Apple, but what you said doesn't seem to be sound business practice. As a business person myself I wouldn't delibritely limit supplies as a "marketing strategy". That's plain dumb. I would want to sell my product to the maximum number Of people who want it and have money. Purposely holding back supples would be the dumbest sales strategy and I don't think Apple is that dumb. Not being able to produce to fulfill the demand is something different.

I'm not sure of the exact thing they did, but i know they didn't make a TON of iPad2's and sell out of all of them
    04-01-11 05:36 PM
    As impossible as it may be, on a thread such as this, let's try and keep the discussion civil and on topic.

Were the PBs selling in The RIM Store, I'm sure they could manage it just fine. Whatever mess Staples is making should be directed at them, not RIM.
    andyahs, Machzy, pkcable and 1 others like this.
    04-01-11 05:55 PM

I can tell you this much. MANY Apple products in the past were available for pre-sale so that could just have it delivered to your door. I've dropped off packages at UPS the day that people were piling in to pick up their new iPhones. However, coincidentally, as a rash of new tablets came out, the iPad2 was released without a pre-sale causing there to be lines at the Apple Stores (on the news, even) and then the quick announcement that they had sold out. This is causing many people to think it's been this HUGE success, which it hasn't been. It's been successful, but people who just casually follow this stuff think it's the biggest new product since the last iPad. It's a good strategy and it has worked. My aunt thinks the iPad2 must be the coolest thing out there and is gonna buy one even though she rarley uses her iPad.
    04-01-11 05:57 PM
    I dont think Jobs is laughing, more likely looking on in interest at a product coming to market that can challenge his own, and drive development of his product lines further.

That being said, look at the last few Apple launches - Iphone, Ipand and their 'upgrades'. Apples overly obsessive secrecy whipped the press into a frenzy of speculation, and when the products finally launched in a blaze of publicity I for one couldnt help but feel a little let down that the latest Jobsian Shiney didnt really match up to the hype.

When you look at what RIM has been doing since they announced the launch date - Theres a steady stream of relevant information, including admitting what can be seen as shortfallings and providing some visualisation into the roadmap of development and enhancement of the platform over the next few months.

You dont need a blaze of media to launch a product successfully, RIM have a very dedicated customer base and I really dont think they are overly bothered about first day retail sales... yes they are a nice figure to throw around in press releases, but it will be the long term penetration into RIM's core markets that really define the success of the PlayBook
    04-01-11 07:02 PM
    I dont think Jobs is laughing, more likely looking on in interest at a product coming to market that can challenge his own, and drive development of his product lines further.

That being said, look at the last few Apple launches - Iphone, Ipand and their 'upgrades'. Apples overly obsessive secrecy whipped the press into a frenzy of speculation, and when the products finally launched in a blaze of publicity I for one couldnt help but feel a little let down that the latest Jobsian Shiney didnt really match up to the hype.

When you look at what RIM has been doing since they announced the launch date - Theres a steady stream of relevant information, including admitting what can be seen as shortfallings and providing some visualisation into the roadmap of development and enhancement of the platform over the next few months.

You dont need a blaze of media to launch a product successfully, RIM have a very dedicated customer base and I really dont think they are overly bothered about first day retail sales... yes they are a nice figure to throw around in press releases, but it will be the long term penetration into RIM's core markets that really define the success of the PlayBook
    there are many new Apple products that didn't live up to the hype. ipad2 is just another in a long list of products that can't live up to his distortion field antics.

and you are right--good products don't need a ton of publicity. Case in point--Famous Dave's BBQ chain. they don't advertise and they are expanding and their restaurants are crowded. Word of mouth is very powerful--both to promote a product, and to sink it. Early WOM on the Storm pretty much torpedoed it.
    04-01-11 09:14 PM
    They sold out because they didn't make alot
    They sold out because they can't make enough. There are still lines wrapping around blocks to get the iPad2. I will be surprised if there's a single line on launch day for the PB.
    04-01-11 09:32 PM
    Early WOM on the Storm pretty much torpedoed it.

[Former Storm1 Owner who loves his old phone but can still hate on it] Freezing, postit notes behind the battery door, 4.7.0.75, 4.7, random reboots/errors, etc torpedoed it :P

They sold out because they can't make enough. There are still lines wrapping around blocks to get the iPad2. I will be surprised if there's a single line on launch day for the PB.
    I certainly hope there's not still lines, they'd be pretty hungry. Also i would be surprised for lines. RIM is releasing it at 20,000 retailers. Apple did it at 300 apple stores and i believe random Verizon and AT&T stores. Therefore, wayyyyy more places for people to go and not MAKE UP LINES SO IT LOOKS LIKE A BAJILLION PEOPLE ARE BUYING IT BECAUSE IT'S ONLY IN A SMALL AMOUNT OF STORES
    Last edited by dsquared2; 04-01-11 at 09:43 PM.
    04-01-11 09:40 PM
    As impossible as it may be, on a thread such as this, let's try and keep the discussion civil and on topic.

Were the PBs selling in The RIM Store, I'm sure they could manage it just fine. Whatever mess Staples is making should be directed at them, not RIM.
    Not to hijack, but what is this Staples mess I'm hearing about? Is there something new besides initially providing a ship date that's a week too early and staff who either think it's a Xoom or don't know what it is at all? Last I heard, Staples orders should be delivered either 4/19 and 4/20. Has something changed?
    04-01-11 10:54 PM
    First iPad and earlier iPhone releases have sold out, but they've never had a 3-4 week delay to fill remaining orders. I still say Apple rushed iPad 2 out just to get it out before the PlayBook. Besides this supply debacle, the upgrades from the original are nowhere near what Apple usually stuffs into next-gen releases. If Jobs is laughing, it's because of the meds.
    04-01-11 11:00 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD