Hi
    Does anyone know how I can set a static IP on my PlayBook? Is it even possible? I'm using an automated software (Allway Sync) to get info copied to my PlayBook so I always have an up to date view of my files when I'm on the road but my IP keeps changing and I then lose the mapped drive in Windows 7... and then Allway Sync can't complete...
    thoughts?
    06-22-11 12:28 PM
    Not sure if you can do it from the Playbook itself, but if you login to the Web Admin console of your Router at home, you should be able to setup a DHCP Reservation so that whenever it connects to your home network the router will assign it the same IP.
    eprklims and you sir name like this.
    06-22-11 12:32 PM
    I have the same problem when I am tethering- the IP address seems to be all over the shop when I am connected through 3G. It stays the same when I am on my home Wi Fi though obviously. I would be surprised if there is any way round this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-11 12:32 PM
    Awesome Prey... I have reserved the IP... Learn something new everyday on these forums : )
    Hopefully this solves this issue for good.
    06-22-11 01:12 PM
    Good to hear....if it gives you any problems, confirm that you reserved the correct MAC address in the reservation.
    06-22-11 02:08 PM
    Or you could click connect manually under the WIFI option and the uncheck "Automatically obtain IP address" and set everything up yourself
    06-22-11 02:13 PM
    ^ Nice, so you can do it from the PB! It's easier to do it from the Router, but it's good to know that it can also be done from the PB.
    06-22-11 02:16 PM
    I'm interested in creating a static address for my router - a bit older model Linksys. I've looked around the web and find only older info. I was wondering if anyone has some more ideas as I cannot find any specific location to tweak the necessary info in the router:

I'd rather not tamper with the router's firmware.

DHCP Reservation wrt54g

Thanks in advance.
    08-09-11 06:22 PM
    Normally you just set a DHCP reservation in the router to bind the mac address to the ip.
    08-09-11 06:56 PM
    If it's a linksys at pretty much stock settings, then I'd guess your network looks like 192.168.0.xxx . Also if stock, your computers and wireless devices probably get an IP address with the "xxx" being 100<= (100 and above). If that's all true, you can just assign your PB with a manual IP below 100, say 90 or so, and you'll be just fine.

Personally I use 8.8.4.4 for DNS as it's fast and reliable (Google's servers), and then just set the gateway to 192.168.0.1, and the subnet to 255.255.255.0.

This may be more then what some people want to go through, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    08-09-11 07:11 PM
    Every Linksys / Cisco router I have ever seen comes with factory preset address of 192.168.1.1........
    The 192.168.0.x is usually D-link or TrendNet........
    Google for "factory Router IP assignments" to see all of them.
    12-27-12 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD