How long will it take the PB to go from power off/standby (whatever the usual "in the bag" state is) to an active web browser? Does it have to re-initalize the wifi to get there?

For example, my BB9700 takes about 10 minutes to do a full start-up (battery pull); my Kindle takes about 20 seconds to go from standby, get the wifi initialized and start the experimental browser.

What is the PB startup like?

Has anyone seen a video of startup?
    02-06-11 06:04 PM
    I believe you're over-exaggerating about the 9700 taking 10 minutes. My 9700 can do it in under 5. As for the PB, it's quick.
    02-06-11 06:11 PM
    Pb will be quick. I've noticed that the os6 start up on my bold is much quicker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 06:13 PM
    Pb will be quick. I've noticed that the os6 start up on my bold is much quicker.

02-06-11 06:24 PM
    Qnx and bb os are 2 totally different things. Solid state memory is fast so it will be under 30 seconds from a cold boot I'd be willing to bet.

02-06-11 07:44 PM
    If you are asking from a power off/standby than I would say the 9700 is less than 15sec. If you are asking from a full reboot than it may be closer to 5min. As far as the PB BravoBBY is correct. Solid state memory is crazy fast so under 30 sec is where I would have to put my money on.
    02-06-11 08:26 PM

What is the PB startup like?

Has anyone seen a video of startup?
    I have not seen a start up but something tells me it might be similar to the simulator. Of course other things such as how many programs, media files you have on the device might influence how long it takes to start up. Just my 2 cent.
    02-07-11 12:22 AM
    I believe you're over-exaggerating about the 9700 taking 10 minutes. My 9700 can do it in under 5. As for the PB, it's quick.
    Out of curiosity, I just timed it. I did a battery pull. I started the watch when I put in the battery and stopped it once it registered a 3G signal (I am in a very good reception area.) I broke down the elapsed time below.

I have a BB 9700 on Tmobile running the latest official Tmobile firmware (5.0.0.714). I am on BES and don't have any odd apps or skins.

Battery pull: 0:00
    Little "transmission arrows" appear in corner of BB progress bar: 3:09
    Blackberry progress bar completes:4:58
    T-Mobile splash screen appears:5:27
    Security check:5:35
    EDGE: 5:38
    3G: 6:19
    Total startup time: 6 minutes, 19 seconds
    02-07-11 06:42 AM
    Out of curiosity, I just timed it. I did a battery pull. I started the watch when I put in the battery and stopped it once it registered a 3G signal (I am in a very good reception area.) I broke down the elapsed time below.

I have a BB 9700 on Tmobile running the latest official Tmobile firmware (5.0.0.714). I am on BES and don't have any odd apps or skins.

My S2 takes around 6 minutes. I am hoping the Monaco has a faster start up time. Back when RIM first started floating rumors about a new jazzy TS phone they mentioned 19 second reboot times; however, in the last couple of months none of the released specs mention this. Maybe just the 1.2 gig processor alone will help.

02-07-11 07:59 AM
    BB phone reboot times are a joke, especially since they are required periodically. I'm glad OS6 has lowered them, but OS6 availability and the rollout have been sad to say the least. We timed a reboot on on a 9650 running OS6 the other day and it was still 3.5 minutes, and the phone wasn't very responsive till sometime in the 4+ minute range, which is still atrocious. Hopefully Playbook will be very quick, and the newer OS6.1 phones will be too (or at least require fewer reboots).
    02-07-11 10:01 AM
    I just clocked my Torch (running 448) reboot at 2:20.. My 9700 running 448 is similar as well.
    02-07-11 10:23 AM
    my 9700 roboot about 3 times per week is 5-6 minutes of pure frustration.
    is rim re-compiling the entire OS during re-boot?
    02-07-11 01:02 PM
    Somehow phone boot times appeared under PB... anyone time a Samsung? Do they use SS mem as well?

Bad Day -- call 911... oops need to pop battery lol
    02-07-11 01:35 PM
    Trying to get this back on-topic. . . has anyone seen the power handling of the PB? I know there is a big mystery over battery life. What are the "inactive" options? Do you turn it off completely - similar to a battery pull? Is there some type of hybernate/standby mode - does that kill the wifi? One big selling point of the iPad is that it goes from "off" to running the browser in a few seconds. Will the PB compete?

What power mode is this in when it is in my pocket? What about if it is in my desk drawer for a few days? Ideally, it will have an "off" state which uses near-zero power, but that can come back to full life very quickly (a few seconds).
    02-07-11 03:41 PM
    look up QNX fastboot. should give you some hints.
    02-07-11 03:45 PM
    I have seen many blackberries, even new ones, take between 5 and 10 minutes. Depends what is on the blackberries etc. and if the os has issues in it's rom.
    02-07-11 04:18 PM

On the Torch, it takes 2 minutes from the time the battery contacts touch the contacts on the phone, I enter my device password, Say "No" to two apps that are requesting permissions, and enter a 10 digit phone number.

The PlayBook simulator takes about 20 seconds to start on a quad core Phenom. The OS provided in the simulator is stripped down so my guess is the PlayBook would take a little bit longer depending on what is installed. I wouldn't be suprised if the actual hardware had a 'sleep mode' which would allow it to start in under 5 seconds.
    02-07-11 07:31 PM
    On Torch running .450 and with 15 applications installed, reboot time is 1':58" (ATT logo appeared) and took about total 2':05" to completely boot up and that being when the home screen became functional
    02-07-11 11:40 PM
    Man, this is crazy. My 9700 goes from batteery in to fully functional in 48 seconds. Timed using the stopwatch on my wife's 8520. 9700 running latest leak, no hybrid. I do remember the OS5 boot time being in the 3 to 4 minute range though.

02-08-11 01:09 AM
    OS5 8520, about 10 apps installed. About a 5 minute boot time... Hopefully the Torch 2 will be faster. And the Playbook, well COME ON! (although I have a feeling the UK will be charged �1'500 for the base model)
    02-08-11 02:25 AM
    Storm 2. 10-12 apps installed. 5 to 5 1/2 minutes reboot time.

Never crashes or freezes, usually I only have to deal with it at battery swap time during the day when I am out of battery life.

02-08-11 05:13 AM
    Man, this is crazy. My 9700 goes from batteery in to fully functional in 48 seconds. Timed using the stopwatch on my wife's 8520. 9700 running latest leak, no hybrid. I do remember the OS5 boot time being in the 3 to 4 minute range though.

What firmware are you running?
    02-08-11 06:41 AM
    Playbook is not Java. It will be faster.

There was a hybrid somewhere that gave the 9700 a 60 second reboot time somewhere but I don't remember where.

I read the above from somewhere.

02-08-11 06:53 AM
    I have not seen a start, but a voice told me that it might be similar to the simulator. Of course, other things, such as how many procedures your media files on the device may affect how long it takes to start.
    02-08-11 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD