Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default start up never happened. problems continued.

i have just purchased a playbook 64. when turning on for the first time the screen showed the home page and did not go through any of the start up procedures that i have seen on the internet. The pb then froze when I pressed the bro button having open a large grey empty box. I have reset the pb holding both the volume buttons and managed to connect to the wireless but the pb continues to freeze when it's partially downloaded it's first update. The pb also turns itself off every few minutes.

that's quite a list of problems for my first 2 hours.

Can i be helped?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by edwarda789 View Post
    i have just purchased a playbook 64. when turning on for the first time the screen showed the home page and did not go through any of the start up procedures that i have seen on the internet. The pb then froze when I pressed the bro button having open a large grey empty box. I have reset the pb holding both the volume buttons and managed to connect to the wireless but the pb continues to freeze when it's partially downloaded it's first update. The pb also turns itself off every few minutes.

Can i be helped?
    first, make sure the playbook has sufficient amount of charge.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

ah yes, I forgot to mention the charge. The icon says that the pb has 30% charge but i've plugged it in and unplugged it a number of times and the icon changes as expected and the charger is getting warm. i'm guessing that is all ok?
    CrackBerry Abuser

ah yes, I forgot to mention the charge. The icon says that the pb has 30% charge but i've plugged it in and unplugged it a number of times and the icon changes as expected and the charger is getting warm. i'm guessing that is all ok?
    The charger tends to get warm if the temperature is around 35 deg C. This has happened with me as well. So it should be OK on this front.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

battery says its 59% and rising. that is ok. the pb is still freezing all the time. it's v frustrating, after 4 hours nothing is working. i feel like throwing it away.
    i've tried the resets but it's still freezing. any help will be greatly appreciated.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

if its turning itself off maybe its too close to the 20% charge, it takes a few full charges and uses to calibrate the battery level, so leave it charging for a few hours or overnight. If you leave it connected to power while doing the install it should be OK though, and make sure you use the original 1.8 amp / 2.0 amp original charger or rapid charger, not a phone charger which only gives 400 to 500 milliamps (they'll eventually charge as long as the playbook is off or not doing much but take a long time)

A reset is with three buttons, both volume buttons and the power button all at the same time, hold them for 10 to 15 seconds to restart. To make sure it goes fully off you may want to go to a dark room or cupboard to make sure the back light goes fully off.

If you have poor wifi it can make installing the initial update difficult, you may also need to try another wifi location for initial update once you have it fully charged.
    CrackBerry Genius

Can i be helped?
    Mine didn't come with a bro button. I think RIM screwed me again
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Cynycl View Post
    Mine didn't come with a bro button. I think RIM screwed me again
    Really, what exactly does he mean by bro button?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

thank you.
    I meant the browser button. the pb also freezes if i press the setup icon and the tetris icon. i haven't tried the others yet.

I have tried the full reset for a considerable period of time but that hasn't helped. the wifi here is also very good so that shouldnt be a problem.

Okay, did it go through the entire setup and tutorial? Do you have wifi and has it connected.

Can it be returned or exchanged?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    2,063 Global Posts

I have reset the pb holding both the volume buttons and managed to connect to the wireless but the pb continues to freeze when it's partially downloaded it's first update. The pb also turns itself off every few minutes.
    It may mean as simple as you have a wifi connection problem --- so your Playbook is having a hard time downloading the update, and when nothing is downloaded for a few minutes, the battery management software kicked in.

Update your router firmware, set it to g only, wpa2/aes and auto channel hopping.
    CrackBerry Genius

sounds like you may need to go the debrick method. Shut PB off completely and attach to usb with CPU running desktop manager. If you can't use the gear icon to access settings, you can't do a security wipe anyway. (unless you have a password lock and enter the info wrong ten times).