Staples warranty is almost half the price of the PB, is it worth it? I understand it also includes accidents and battery replacement for 2 years. I am not accident prone, but do you think the BP hardware is soundly built, do you think the battery will last 2 years without needing a constant charge? your thoughts please.
    05-16-11 08:11 AM
    How much are they charging? I got my playbook from there and haven't even checked what they charge for the warranty. I know RIM is doing there own 2 year extended protection plan that will cover everything from spills, cracks etc for $129.

I'm thinking of going with RIM's still going to debate it for a couple more weeks... here's the link in case you want to take a look....

PlayBook Technical Support Phone Number - PlayBook Help Phone

https://us.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/
    05-16-11 08:23 AM
    I think it was $199, but for a limited time they were taking $50 off, something like that (my mind just kind of shut down at that point). I decided to see if I was even going to keep it before shelling out more money. Thanks for the link, do you think we need it?
    05-16-11 08:38 AM
    I think it was $199, but for a limited time they were taking $50 off, something like that (my mind just kind of shut down at that point). I decided to see if I was even going to keep it before shelling out more money. Thanks for the link, do you think we need it?
    It's really a personal preference IMO. I'm on the fence about it, where I bring mine everywhere its more apt to encounter a freak accident lol. By the freak accident I mean the obvious; Drop, Spill, Scratch.

Another angle i'm pondering with this is 2 years from now, maybe the hardware or the wifi devices themselves will somehow have more horsepower, if that were the case, you could throw your PB in the dishwasher then have the most updated device.

So yeah, probably didn't help you much just give you more to ponder about haha, i'm assuming within the coming weeks i'll go for it myself. Has the potential to be a decent investment.
    05-16-11 08:46 AM
    It's really a personal preference IMO. I'm on the fence about it, where I bring mine everywhere its more apt to encounter a freak accident lol. By the freak accident I mean the obvious; Drop, Spill, Scratch.

Another angle i'm pondering with this is 2 years from now, maybe the hardware or the wifi devices themselves will somehow have more horsepower, if that were the case, you could throw your PB in the dishwasher then have the most updated device.

So yeah, probably didn't help you much just give you more to ponder about haha, i'm assuming within the coming weeks i'll go for it myself. Has the potential to be a decent investment.
    Come, at least, use a microwave - much more dramatic!
    05-16-11 09:05 AM
    No, don't put it in the dw or microwave they will have to come out with a new sticker that says "not dishwasher,microwave safe".

Another option is should I use the money instead to upgrade from 16 to32?
    05-16-11 10:01 AM
    I used to work at Staples - I honestly would stay away from them. If you take it back to Staples within a year, they will tell you that it is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty.

Staples makes about 90% profit off of their protection plans. I would much rather go to squaretrade which is a lot cheaper and has a lot better reviews.

Depending on your staples store, the manager can be a pain in the *** to work with. I'd stay away from it. The store employees will lie through the teeth to sell you the warranty, just so that they can hit their numbers.
    05-16-11 10:06 AM
    Come, at least, use a microwave - much more dramatic!
    But then again.... Will it Blend?
    05-16-11 11:52 AM
    I think it's a rip off. Consider the fact that there will be updated models that we will all want in two years. The money for the warranty would be better of being put towards the upgrade costs.

Just my 2p
    05-16-11 11:55 AM
    If you buy any warranty at staples read the fine print. Salesmen are directed to be very misleading on these, though they are not normally paid extra for selling the plans but they are threatened with meeting quotas or face a very harsh working environment. Lets take an example, if you buy a blackberry tablet for $500 and the accidental damage plan is $250. They are to tell you that if you drop it spill something on it or just break it some how, that it will be taken care of. Now the fine print... the $250 that you laid down for the plan is non-refundable, and they will not reimburse the amount you paid for the unit, but the current cost of a refurbished device. So to put it all into perspective $500 for the tablet, $250 for the plan, and two years down the road you drop and break it, if refurbished units are now selling for $200 then that is what you will receive and remember that is not money but a staples cash card (which is like a gift certificate) so in the end you wind up with grand total of negative $50. All in the fine print folks, theirs a reason why they try so hard to sell you these plans, and it ain't for your benefit. That's why in my staples store, selling plans is known as collecting I.D.I.O.T TAX... fine print READ IT!!!! or get what you pay for!!!
    Last edited by rklaz; 05-18-11 at 11:32 PM.
    05-18-11 11:27 PM
    go to squaretrade.com

106.00 usd and that is fully fooly covered for 3 years, including drops and water and i have had to use one of the warranties before and they fully refunded me with mo pro lem.
    05-19-11 12:21 AM
    If you buy any warranty at staples read the fine print. Salesmen are directed to be very misleading on these, though they are not normally paid extra for selling the plans but they are threatened with meeting quotas or face a very harsh working environment. Lets take an example, if you buy a blackberry tablet for $500 and the accidental damage plan is $250. They are to tell you that if you drop it spill something on it or just break it some how, that it will be taken care of. Now the fine print... the $250 that you laid down for the plan is non-refundable, and they will not reimburse the amount you paid for the unit, but the current cost of a refurbished device. So to put it all into perspective $500 for the tablet, $250 for the plan, and two years down the road you drop and break it, if refurbished units are now selling for $200 then that is what you will receive and remember that is not money but a staples cash card (which is like a gift certificate) so in the end you wind up with grand total of negative $50. All in the fine print folks, theirs a reason why they try so hard to sell you these plans, and it ain't for your benefit. That's why in my staples store, selling plans is known as collecting I.D.I.O.T TAX... fine print READ IT!!!! or get what you pay for!!!
    Exactly! I was buying my PB at Staples and the sales assistant offered me the $50 dollar Playbook plan (note this is the ONLY cost he told me), which apparently covered everything. So I'm thinking "hey 50 bucks, you'd be stupid NOT to pay for that". I asked him for the pamphlet, and he walked me through it. Under his breath he said "so that'll be 50 dollars plus 150 and that becomes....". Needless to say I stopped him right there and asked what the h*ll that meant. And from that point forward I took the pamphlet out of his hands and sure enough I read the fineprint and rklaz is right, it is a huge scam.

The "manager", who was younger than me and I'm 22 then tried to persuade me to buy it. She said "you'd be an i.d.i.o.t not to get it, when I bought my laptop I didn't get the plan and I was kicking myself because 2 days after buying it I spilt coffee on it" which led me to reply "well who's the i.d.i.o.t now?!"

At the end of the day, if in the future my Playbook ceases to function, even though nothing I have owned has ever come to that state, then I will just buy another one, or buy whatever else is new on the market at that time. technology moves too quickly to assume in 2 years time you will still want the exact same piece of equipment.
    05-19-11 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD