I was under the impression the Staples Playbook sale ($349.99 up front, $249.99 after rebate) was running all week, 9/25-10/1. But, I went into my local Staples today and when the clerk rang up the PB, it was $399.99. It still had the $100 rebate, but I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't what I was expecting. I called Staples.com and they told me that sale was for last week. Does this make sense?

So, did I misunderstand the sale? Or, did they end it early w/o telling anyone?
    09-28-11 05:30 PM
    mine rang up $349.00. the cashier said the .00 usually indicates clearance. and boy did they push the replacement plan hard. said they are discontinuing the item so i really need to consider that.
    09-28-11 05:39 PM
    Staples Playbook 16GB.....

Price:$499.00
    Instant Savings:-$100.00
    Rebate:-$100.00
    Price after rebate:$299.00

Fill out a form and get a $100 Visa Gift card in 4-6 weeks. Walmarts in Canada are selling them for $249.
    09-28-11 05:48 PM
    mine rang up $349.00. the cashier said the .00 usually indicates clearance. and boy did they push the replacement plan hard. said they are discontinuing the item so i really need to consider that.
    Who are "they"?

Appears as if they're selling like hot cakes to the cheapskates.
    09-28-11 05:52 PM
    That's exactly how it rang up for me, but, I have seen multiple places where people said they paid $249.99 out the door (after the $200 in discounts). I'm just confused by this. I ended up passing at $299.99 after rebate. Currently debating whether to go back and get it or to wait a little while longer.
    09-28-11 05:55 PM
    I bought my PB at a Chicago area Staples yesterday (Tuesday 9/27/11) for $349 + tax out the door. I had called another store near my house to check the price and see if they had the PB in stock and they quoted $249 after rebate price and said they had several in stock. I stopped by the store closer to my office and the manager showed the unit to me because the sales rep didn't know what a PB was or how to use it, etc. The manager told me that Staples gave all of the store managers a PB within just the last few days for free, but she was not a BB phone user and had barely set hers up yet. The tag showed $299 and she confirmed that was the price as of today, up $50 from yesterday per "corporate" email received. She also said that the sale price next week would be $299 out the door without the prepaid Visa card rebate. I got mine for $349 + tax out the door with the $100 prepaid Visa card rebate coming after she called the other store that had quoted me the lower price and informed them of the price change. I also have a $50 credit coming to my new Staples credit card account (use marketing source code STA6 on the application online or in the store) for a final cost of $199 + tax.
    09-28-11 06:36 PM
    Who are "they"?

Appears as if they're selling like hot cakes to the cheapskates.
    I took the "they" as typical sales pitch for the replacement plan. He said I really need to consider it and that I would get the full value, before the rebate, back if it broke and that I could keep the item because they don't make you return items under $500. Sounded like he might have been encouraging fraud to me.

I did not get the replacement plan.

The fact that it was priced with .00 and they said that it indicated clearance is interesting.....is Staples clearing them out for good? It also looked like they only carry the 16G version(at least at that store).

The $100 rebate will go towards an iPad.....the Mrs. wants an iPad in the worst way. Couldn't convince her on the Playbook. There is an education related app on the iPad (she's a teacher) that she is dying to use. Oh well.......
    Last edited by giardinop; 09-28-11 at 07:35 PM.
    09-28-11 07:30 PM
    Still a couple of more hrs to get it here for $299.99 Daily Deals, 1 Sale A Day
    No mail in rebate
    09-28-11 07:40 PM
    Bought my PlayBook yesterday at Staples. Price on the tag said 249.99 after 100 instant off of 449.99 and 100 rebate. Guy rang it up and it showed 399.99 in the system when it should've been 349.99. He double checked the tag and manually adjusted the price.
    09-28-11 07:47 PM
    Bought my PlayBook yesterday at Staples. Price on the tag said 249.99 after 100 instant off of 449.99 and 100 rebate. Guy rang it up and it showed 399.99 in the system when it should've been 349.99. He double checked the tag and manually adjusted the price.
    This is exactly how it was for me yesterday when I bought mine. They then said that it should be $299 after rebate and that they just didn't change the price by mistake. They changed it as soon as I left.
    09-28-11 08:21 PM
    i bought mine yesterday and i am returning it tomorrow its a nice product but common sense showed me to return it
    09-28-11 08:58 PM
    i bought mine yesterday and i am returning it tomorrow its a nice product but common sense showed me to return it
    The finger up the nose seems ever so appropriate for you DopeStar. The BlackBerry PlayBook despite its unfortunate name is not a toy. Go get yourself an 10-inch Apple iPad which is a MaxiPad by comparison to the 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook. When BBPBOS2.0 is released and the NDK released there should be a steady stream of applications for the BlackBerry tablet. I have a few ideas for applications but need the NDK to be released and available.
    09-28-11 09:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD