i don't know what's up. for the last two days i've put my fully charged playbook in standby using the battery icon standby option, yet when i get home from work, the battery is near dead.

i've only had this thing since february, i can't imagine it being battery death already. it seems like the standby is not really standing by.
    08-03-12 08:35 PM
    I can put mine on standby for days and it doesnt kill the batt...maybe you have a sideloaded android app running in the back ground?
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-03-12 09:12 PM
    Everything still runs while the playbook is in standby. If you want to keep it from using so much battery in standby, turning the wifi off helps. Otherwise it will keep checking for mail, as well as other apps that use the network will keep on using it as well.
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-03-12 09:16 PM
    i've never had this problem before. it's just my usual habit. charge when the alarm goes off, leave in standby when not in use. i usually don't even select the standby and just leave it to do it it's damn self. but the last two days i noticed when i got home, the battery was near dead. i don't think i have anything androidy running. usually just the browser and the mail get used anyway. i'll unplug it before i go to bed and see what's up in the morning.
    08-03-12 09:24 PM
    Everything still runs while the playbook is in standby. If you want to keep it from using so much battery in standby, turning the wifi off helps. Otherwise it will keep checking for mail, as well as other apps that use the network will keep on using it as well.
    well I dont have to turn off wifi for myself and I can go a couple of days on standby...Geez do you have any sideloaded apps? if not then, then no need to check but if you did then you can try to install an android app killer or something like that
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-03-12 09:29 PM
    I don't have any issue with mine draining quickly, only mail comes in on mine in standby. I don't use any apps that are constantly connected. Was just a suggestion for the OP to save some juice. It is likely something using the network or trying to use it. Airplane mode might be your friend while in standby.
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-03-12 09:39 PM
    yeah, went to bed with 93%, woke up to 35%. i don't think that i have any sideloading android apps running. in fact, after doing a recent security wipe due to a non functioning browser, i don't even have any apps that aren't stock.

plus i just did a restart yesterday to install the new update, which this problem precedes, and have used nothing but the mail and browser apps since that for sure.

i'll try turning off my wifi. hopefully that will do the trick.
    08-04-12 07:42 AM
    You could try a reboot by holding the power button until it shuts off or holding power, volume + and volume - . With the three button reboot the PB will restart on its own. Maybe something is stuck running in the background.
    Also, there is or was a bug with native email and manual sync. Try setting get it to any of the time intervals.
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-04-12 08:00 AM
    Mine is the same as always. Leave it, wifi on, nothing open, emails come in and no unusual battery drain. How is your wifi signal where it is at?
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-04-12 08:19 AM
    i don't know what's up. for the last two days i've put my fully charged playbook in standby using the battery icon standby option, yet when i get home from work, the battery is near dead.

i've only had this thing since february, i can't imagine it being battery death already. it seems like the standby is not really standing by.
    Starting from sometime last week, many PB users reported their battery drain much faster than before. I was one of them. The issue is related to hotmail. I removed my hotmail account from PB and the battery drain speed back to normal.

See the other thread at the following link.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...70#post7550370
    Rad_Book and geezelouise like this.
    08-04-12 08:43 AM
    I have had the same issue except for mine is fully charged at night & dead in the morning. Ever since video store came to Canada, I haven't purchased anything yet just browsed. I use to leave it in standby over a week and still have plenty of life left I'm not sure what changed. After a few drains & hard resets I decided to get Battery Guru,it showed 99% health, today 98%. While in standby it uses close to 2.0 watts, I think it is supposed to use 0.05 watts. This morning it went from fully charged to 91% charged in about 15 min. The funny thing is the day before this happened I bought rimm stock Is this a bad sign, I hope not!
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-04-12 10:26 AM
    Starting from sometime last week, many PB users reported their battery drain much faster than before. I was one of them. The issue is related to hotmail. I removed my hotmail account from PB and the battery drain speed back to normal.

See the other thread at the following link.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...70#post7550370
    Would changing the hotmail Advanced Settings in Accounts help? What if turn off Push? Is setting Sync Interval to Manual the best?

Beside my old hotmail account, I have added three new outlook.com accounts this week. If hotmail/outlook account is the problem, is having multiple ones compounding the problem?
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-04-12 10:26 AM
    Wow can't believe the difference after uninstalling hotmail.ca account now down to 0.06 watts in standby from 2.0 before. Thinking about it, it probably changed when they MS changed hotmail to outlook not sure why it would be different, oh well. Maybe they will fix it soon. Go RIM love the playbook.
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-04-12 11:03 AM
    I deleted my hotmail account in the PB account settings and added my new outlook account, and it works well. I still get all my hotmail emails sent to my outlook inbox and they show up fine on the PB.
    geezelouise likes this.
    08-04-12 12:06 PM
    so yeah. i did delete the settings of my hotmail account. and everything is fine now, with the battery.

sigh.

i'm not one to take out frustrations with acts of violence, and i think people who punch doors, or walls, or like, break things are solid proof of evolution. but i swear sometimes i'd love to smash this thing. i bought it to do two things, browse the internet, and check email. browsing the internet is... less than enjoyable. crashes, general slowness, trying to click on small links, moving that damn it all to he// cursor... no i don't want to select, i want to place the cursor. oh, i'm trying to place the cursor and now the screen is gonna go all crazy? neat. neato. auto caps one minute, no auto caps the next, word suggestions one minute, no word suggestions the next. but at least the mail app seemed great. now i have to browse the internet to check my email? oh my god.

and this is from someone that still use internet explorer. ok. so, i'm not really expecting perfection, but usability would be nice.
    Last edited by geezelouise; 08-07-12 at 10:04 PM.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-07-12 09:58 PM
    oh... he(( is a banned word on this forum? good grief. give me a flowers and sunshine break.
    08-07-12 10:03 PM
    geezelouise:

Sometimes a little well-meaning violence can be a good release - just punch someone else's wall or door!
    08-07-12 11:57 PM
    how about a 'manual' sync on hotmail account? i remember long back the pb having the same issue of battery drain because of email sync options..

i suggest a hard reboot.. do a few actually..
    08-08-12 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD