Hi Guys

I have a 32gb playbook and am very happy with it except for 1 annoying thing. The standby button doesn't seem to work, instead of going into standby the device restarts. I upgraded the OS to 2.0 in the hope that it would solve the issue but it hasn't. Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening and if there is a fix for it.

Cheers

Alex Gould
    03-12-12 10:28 AM
    My 16gb unit is doing the same thing. I bought mine last Monday and it automatically updated to 2.0.0.7971.
    03-12-12 10:42 AM
    It's doing that from day 1.

The work-around is to top the battery in the top right corner and choose stand-by from there.
    03-12-12 10:50 AM
    Don't have this issue at all, seems to be a real nasty bug lol. Did you tried to re-install the OS?
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-12-12 10:52 AM
    If you are using the POWER ICON it has a bug and the Standby Button does restart. Use the Battery Icon and press Standby there. The buggy icon (app) is the 4th from left in the bottom row. Some of us have deleted it. Others did not get it when OS2 was released.
    Last edited by F2; 03-12-12 at 11:44 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-12-12 11:39 AM
    Cheers guys will try the battery icon
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-12-12 11:45 AM
    my Standby doesn't restart the playbook but it also doesn't put it into Standby mode, if you touch the screen it wakes right back up instead of having to do a bezel to bezel swipe.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-12-12 11:45 AM
    my Standby doesn't restart the playbook but it also doesn't put it into Standby mode, if you touch the screen it wakes right back up instead of having to do a bezel to bezel swipe.
    Mine too

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-12-12 12:20 PM
    I think it's a feature of the new os- when the pb is changing you can wake with a tap, but you should still need to swipe if not plugged in.
    Last edited by Barljo; 03-12-12 at 04:27 PM. Reason: To clear up what I was replying to...
    03-12-12 01:42 PM
    Hi guys. I have this issue as well. I have contacted rim about it and they replied that it is a known. Issue so I presume it will be patched up soon in a update. This relates to the power icon on the home screen.

Cheers
    03-12-12 02:22 PM
    Hi Guys

I have a 32gb playbook and am very happy with it except for 1 annoying thing. The standby button doesn't seem to work, instead of going into standby the device restarts. I upgraded the OS to 2.0 in the hope that it would solve the issue but it hasn't. Has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening and if there is a fix for it.

Cheers

Alex Gould
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a 64GB PB one week ago and it has the same problem with the Power button, so I use the Battery icon instead.
    03-12-12 02:31 PM
    RIM has basically deprecated this already, and if you do a wipe (or, at least, a "debrick") it won't even get reinstalled as it's not actually part of 2.0. Everyone should probably just delete it as it is unlikely ever to be fixed, and really has no advantage over the power button or the battery icon in the status bar.
    Hgouck likes this.
    03-12-12 07:25 PM
    I have the same problem too..thought i was the only one.....
    03-12-12 11:42 PM
    Things like this get me really pissed. A bug? alright, but after almost 2 years and a mayor upgrade, FIX IT!

This bug is there from day one. We're with OS 2 now and it's still there.
    I think everybody did (more or less) quietly accepted the work-around by tapping the battery and go standby from there. This does not mean that RIM don't have to solve it.

This bug is really not an issue for the operation of the playbook in general, but not fixing bugs after so long do say something about the company. They promissed to do better tomorrow...
    direfan likes this.
    03-15-12 09:45 AM
    I fixed whatever bug there might have been in the power off button. Since I have always used the battery icon anyway, I simply deleted the power off icon. Voila - no bug.

Obviously a great number of you haven't actually used any sort of computer or computerized device before, so you would be exempt from understanding that one must often employ some common sense work-arounds for software glitches. The rest of you ...?
    03-15-12 10:00 AM
    I fixed whatever bug there might have been in the power off button. Since I have always used the battery icon anyway, I simply deleted the power off icon. Voila - no bug...
    So if you must climb your window because your front-door is broken you will eliminate the front-door altogether because you can climb the window? How unwise is that?!

Obviously a great number of you haven't actually used any sort of computer or computerized device before, so you would be exempt from understanding that one must often employ some common sense work-arounds for software glitches. The rest of you ...?
    Bugs here, bugs there, bugs everywhere. The "bug" is not the point here, the work around neither. The point here is: NOT fixing what is clearly known broken.
    We should NOT accept paying heavy for any product that have "bugs" without the prospect that somebody fix it.
    03-15-12 10:12 AM
    The standby function doesn't work the way it should anyway. If the screen comes on just because I tapped it is the device really in standby or is they screen just turned off?
    03-15-12 10:22 AM
    The standby function doesn't work the way it should anyway. If the screen comes on just because I tapped it is the device really in standby or is they screen just turned off?
    The screen time out is one thing and entering standby is another - and they occur at different intervals depending on how you have your settings under the 'Screen' options. Take a look!
    03-15-12 10:30 AM
    It works for me, never had an issue with it. I've always just used the options under the battery icon to put my Playbook into Standby and I swipe to wake it up. I've never considered using the battery icon option a workaround, it's my de facto power control.
    03-15-12 10:57 AM
    No one read peters post? It isn't even on mine and no I didn't delete I did a security wipe.

Never used it anyway.
    03-15-12 11:07 AM
    The screen time out is one thing and entering standby is another - and they occur at different intervals depending on how you have your settings under the 'Screen' options. Take a look!
    I'm aware of this. My point is that if I put it in standby using the battery icon and tap anywhere on the screen it wakes right up. That means if I have it in my bag as I'm waking along it's not in standby because as soon as it bumps into something it wakes up. Therefore, standby isn't working the way it should.
    03-15-12 11:09 AM
    They also changed it so if your plugged in a tap brings it up. Not plugged in it takes a swipe as long as the time has passed.
    03-15-12 11:10 AM
    So if you must climb your window because your front-door is broken you will eliminate the front-door altogether because you can climb the window? How unwise is that?!
    What a truly ridiculous analogy! Your ability to make a mountain from a molehill is less than impressive.

Bugs here, bugs there, bugs everywhere. The "bug" is not the point here, the work around neither. The point here is: NOT fixing what is clearly known broken.
    We should NOT accept paying heavy for any product that have "bugs" without the prospect that somebody fix it.
    As I said, for those of you who are computing novices, there has yet to be an OS without a bug. The icon in question is not a major component of the system. You are acting like a child.
    03-15-12 11:13 AM
    YES - the Power Icon was buggy. And it STILL is buggy but it is NO LONGER INCLUDED in OS2. Delete the darn icon and move on. Or don't use it and move on. Rim will not fix it since it is no longer included in the real OS2.
    03-15-12 11:16 AM
    I'm aware of this. My point is that if I put it in standby using the battery icon and tap anywhere on the screen it wakes right up. That means if I have it in my bag as I'm waking along it's not in standby because as soon as it bumps into something it wakes up. Therefore, standby isn't working the way it should.
    If you put it in standby unplugged it will not wake with a tap. The tap to wake up unplugged will only work between backlight time out and standby time out.
    Useful to me if I'm reading a large document and the backlight times out I can just tap to get the screen back on.

If you had two front doors side by side and one broke would you fix it or nail it shut?
    hpjrt likes this.
    03-15-12 11:29 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD