Does the Playbook have the capability to be a standalone GPS device?
    12-26-11 02:04 PM
    no. the gps on this thing is incredibly buggy and theres not really much software available to even take advantage of it.
    12-26-11 02:26 PM
    Yes, it most certainly does. In Airplane Mode, I brought up the What's Up app, which acquired my correct latitude and longitude after only a few seconds.

Bing Maps also uses the GPS---but requires an internet connection to download any map.

I believe there are other GPS apps that use preloaded maps and don't require an internet connection.
    12-26-11 02:50 PM
    no. the gps on this thing is incredibly buggy and theres not really much software available to even take advantage of it.
    Your answer is WRONG.

It has a gps chip and is capable of being a standalone gps. You are correct that there is not a ton of software but there is software that does support it. Magellan, What'sUp (for star gazing), Bing, Poynt, Compass, xxxx-On-Device can pinpoint your current location (even if their approach to apps and reviews is a bit unorthodox).

You may not like the pb and its gps but do not provide incorrect info. State your opinion - fine.
    12-26-11 03:32 PM
    Discount what he says...... its absolutely wrong.

Here read this thread that speaks about the GPS....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ok-gps-682052/

and in short the PB GPS works perfect and with apps like Magellan compass you dont even need wifi connection.
    rotorwrench and CerveloJohn like this.
    12-26-11 04:54 PM
    SO....the idea that a GPS turn by turn app could be created for the Playbook is possible?!? Or even a BB Traffic type app? I'd pay top dollar for something like that for sure. I wonder if any developers are working on it or if RIM has a Traffic app in the works. Hmmm?
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-26-11 05:15 PM
    SO....the idea that a GPS turn by turn app could be created for the Playbook is possible?!? Or even a BB Traffic type app? I'd pay top dollar for something like that for sure. I wonder if any developers are working on it or if RIM has a Traffic app in the works. Hmmm?
    I would not count on a Rim Traffic for the pb, at least, not very soon. They just got out the version for the bb phones. The language/OS of the pb is entirely different and so I'm not sure it would be a simple port of the app from the phone to the pb. They would probably have to totally rewrite the app.
    12-26-11 05:25 PM
    Yes, it most certainly does. In Airplane Mode, I brought up the What's Up app, which acquired my correct latitude and longitude after only a few seconds.

Bing Maps also uses the GPS---but requires an internet connection to download any map.

I believe there are other GPS apps that use preloaded maps and don't require an internet connection.
    um nothing you mentioned here makes use of standalone gps.

in whatsapp which is obviously a CHAT program, how are you going to use it without an internet connection?

bing apps is obviously not standalone without data.

name one good gps application in the entire blackberry app world thats standalone.
    12-26-11 05:37 PM
    The question was: Is the playbook capable of being a standalone GPS.
    The answer is: Yes
    12-26-11 05:55 PM
    um nothing you mentioned here makes use of standalone gps.

in whatsapp which is obviously a CHAT program, how are you going to use it without an internet connection?

bing apps is obviously not standalone without data.

name one good gps application in the entire blackberry app world thats standalone.
    Whats up and whatsapp are 2 different animals.
    12-26-11 06:01 PM
    The question was: Is the playbook capable of being a standalone GPS.
    The answer is: Yes
    That IS the question and the answer gives me hope.
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-26-11 06:22 PM
    I feel like celebrating Chrsitmas all over again!
    Chaddface likes this.
    12-26-11 06:32 PM
    Magellan is a great app but you need internet access via bridge to download maps as you move.

use them together, Magellan + BB Traffic (voice directions)

If GPS is not working for you, restart the pb and try again
    12-26-11 08:54 PM
    last i read the GPS chip isn't enabled on the playbook thats why anytime you want to use it, you need WiFi.
    12-27-11 12:53 AM
    last i read the GPS chip isn't enabled on the playbook thats why anytime you want to use it, you need WiFi.
    Definitely not true. I have read a number of early developer remarks that access was initially limited by what RIM provided for programmers but the xevice is active and there are applications that use it without WIFI now.

I sure wish Mapopolis was still around ...
    12-27-11 01:47 AM
    Although the GPS does work, I am very underwhelmed by the GPS/Map software I have tried on the Playbook so far. Sounds like there's really nothing that works on it well without an Internet connection of some kind. For my Samsung 10.1 (Android), I have reasonably good turn by turn software that will work without an Internet connection.
    12-27-11 02:23 AM
    I got Sygic for Android, but no Android phone yet, just a stupid little Samsung Wifi 5.0. Sygic is decent and standalone, but I prefer Google Nav but it needs network.

If I had it my way I would prefer GPS app on Playbook, as the GPS signal works fairly well as far as tracking, but the lack of apps tells you RIM is holding something back. Which is why I left Apple. But even they now have good GPS apps for the 3G iPad (Navigon and GPS by Telenav).

But if I can't get a decent GPS on PB, I survive fairly well with Telenav on my old 8330 and new 9330 if I keep it. I haven't quite decided yet to go to the dark side and get that Droid Razr I'm drooling over
    12-27-11 08:00 AM
    I dont know when and how far back you read about the GPS, as of quite sometime back the PB GPS works without a wifi connection, I have used/use it myself.
    12-27-11 08:01 AM
    Your answer is WRONG.

It has a gps chip and is capable of being a standalone gps. You are correct that there is not a ton of software but there is software that does support it. Magellan, What'sUp (for star gazing), Bing, Poynt, Compass, xxxx-On-Device can pinpoint your current location (even if their approach to apps and reviews is a bit unorthodox).

You may not like the pb and its gps but do not provide incorrect info. State your opinion - fine.
    Actually, your answer is WRONG too.

For PB's GPS to be useful without wifi access (or tethering), you need apps that carries necessary map data, which is what I'm after.

So without wifi access (probably other than what's up app), there aren't any useful apps on PB, which makes it pretty much useless.

I'm looking for apps like "Navigon" which would be awesome on PB.
    12-27-11 08:21 AM
    It looks like Magellan Compass may eventually have offline map support.

Quoted from their web site:

We are pleased to announce (but not fully) a partnership arrangement with a leading map provider to offer additional content to a future version of Magellan Compass for the PlayBook. This has been in the works for several months and once the integration of the new features are complete, we will be able to offer real time traffic information and map caching (offline maps). Other features will be announced once we are satisfied that the integration will be possible in a resonable amount of time. We are very excited about this relationship and we hope our users will enjoy the new features once they become available.

Currently, we do not have an exact release date for this version of Magellan Compass.
    D_Whatley likes this.
    12-27-11 08:38 AM
    "Can't wait!"
    12-27-11 08:40 AM
    I think part of the problem (and I'll emphasize this is MY opinion) is that folks wanted real time maps and maps that they think are instantly current - that meant ONLINE access and ONLINE maps. No new maps to buy every 3, 6, 9 months or annually. That drove many map sources into the "live" maps business. No CD/dvd to sell, package. No huge downloads of 2-4 gigs of maps to support. The flaw is that maps are still not instantly updated to reflect the newest subdivision or shopping mall. 6 months after a Cabella opened in WA state, google maps still showed the farmland. No roads, no shopping center - pasture and forest.

So selling physical maps for offline use suffers. From the sounds of it, Google does not want anyone caching its maps - maybe liability for older maps being stored on YOUR device for a year and sending you off the ferry dock or into the snowy forest and to your doom.

So sources for maps are more limited.

But the pb has a standalone gps. But its requires apps to use that gps data. My first Garmin was just as standalone and provided just as much data - lat/long. Not much else. Maps came later. And Garmin now does want to sell me the newest maps for ON-device mapping for my newest gps.

So you need apps and you need a map provider willing to sell access to their on-device maps.

My TomTom still serves me well. It works in the US and was a real blessing in Europe two years ago. Munich to Austria to all around the Dolomites and beyond. Obviously, I took some chances, not purchasing the newest maps but it worked fine. But a month ago, it insisted I get off at a carpool exit (I was solo) so I passed. Two miles north, back on freeway southbound and it again wanted me to exit the carpool exit. This time I decided to end the mobius strip and take the illegal exit. So would online maps have had this new info whereas my offline maps are definitely older? I really don't know.

Back to the issue - it has a standalone gps but folks' definitions of gps have evolved.
    12-27-11 10:33 AM
    I prefer the updated maps that data driven apps provide. I have had issues with the factory navigation in my car because the map dvd is 5 years old. 200$ to get the updated map dvd is not worth it to me. If you live in an area with a lot of growth the maps become outdated quickly.
    12-27-11 11:13 AM
    "..ONLINE maps. No new maps to buy every 3, 6, 9 months or annually..."

It's not one or the other. There is a third way.

The MotionX GPS app on my iPhone allows one to cache maps in advance. One selects a location, radius, and zoom range - and the app tells you that it'll download XX or XXX MB of data, and you do this in advance, at home, over wifi, at zero cost.

It works perfectly. I used it on a trip to the UK and used zero roaming data while there.

PS: The GPS in the PB seems to be deaf. All the other GPS devices I own work inside my house. The PB GPS barely works. It takes forever to lock on, assuming it does at all. YMMV.
    12-27-11 11:42 AM
    OP: your question about the PB being a stand alone GPS device is interesting.

Without an Internet connection to obtain data (bridge to BB Phone or tether > to Internet) there is limited possibility to make the PB = a mobile device like a Tom Tom or Garmin automobile GPS. There is also a question about Internet availability and network charges.
    I suppose these companies can offer limited regional area on-board maps specific for the PB; taking a substantial amount of memory. One problem is the PB's GPS antennas are not as strong enough to receive multiple satellite signals like stand-along automobile GPS. You just will not get the accuracy of location.

In areas of the world where automobile GPS do not have maps, then, perhaps the PB with internet connection is an option. My friend, in the Netherlands swears his iPhone (with a special antenna in his car) is great. I think he imagines it is good as his Tom Tom.
    12-27-11 11:53 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD