Well, I went to my local Sprint store Saturday.

They told me to switch from my Blackberry Tour to an Andriod EVO if I wanted to tether my Playbook.

When I refused, they had me call Customer Service. It appears that Sprint offers a $29.95 tethering plan for its 4G phones, like the EVO, but refuses to sell this plan to Blackberry users. No wonder we don't get the latest and greatest Blackberry hardware.

When I said it was about time to switch to Verizon the store manager came over and said he could not talk about it but showed me a web page for the Tether program. (Obviously, he didn't know that a Playbook version is not out yet.)

Great service, Sprint!
    05-02-11 08:09 AM
    Actually Sprint pointed this out MONTHS ago.
    It is because 3G tethering costs them a LOT of money.
    Wait for Tether to release the app for Playbook. You can buy tether pretty cheap(like 25 dollars) every so often.
    05-02-11 11:16 AM
    If it's a money issue why would they allow me to tether to an EVO? I don't have 4G in my area.
    05-02-11 01:58 PM
    You can tether to the Playbook with a BB. I'm doing it with a Curve 8530. It cost $29.99 but you can do it.
    05-02-11 02:00 PM
    If it's a money issue why would they allow me to tether to an EVO? I don't have 4G in my area.
    Because people will get angry if they don't.

Most people they buy the tether plan use 4G.
    In general.
    05-02-11 02:02 PM
    To be honest, my wife has an evo and it has wifi sharing or whatever its called. But she can share her 4g connection as a wifi hotspot. The playbook sees the wifi and is screaming fast. Much faster than bridge over my AT&t bb 9800. If I was going to buy a non BB phone it would be the Evo
    05-02-11 02:06 PM
    To be honest, my wife has an evo and it has wifi sharing or whatever its called. But she can share her 4g connection as a wifi hotspot. The playbook sees the wifi and is screaming fast. Much faster than bridge over my AT&t bb 9800. If I was going to buy a non BB phone it would be the Evo
    That's probably a much better option and I beleive it costs the same or less anyway.
    05-02-11 02:21 PM
    yeah sprint is ******** when it comes to tethering. I used to have tethering on my sprint bb but when I upgraded from 9630 to 9650 they took it off of my account and said I couldn't have it back! GRRRRRRRR! What gives? STUPID SPRINT! Next they will want to charge the extra $10 on 3G smart phones too....
    05-02-11 02:28 PM
    Next they will want to charge the extra $10 on 3G smart phones too....
    They've already started it. If you upgrade your phone to any newer smartphone, 3G or 4G, you get hit with a $10 increase per phone. I'll be checking out the grass on the other side soon. Not interested in a dead end WiMax device or being billed a premium for a Blackberry that only sips data on their network.
    05-02-11 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD