On the ride back, a 4 hour ride back, from Chicago, I pulled out my playbook and started well, playing. I also did some reading for school but I streamed some old cartoons like Tom n Jerry and The Amazing Spider-man.

My friends in the front were like, what is that, I told them, and out came precanned BB hate.

I told them, look, if you didn't know it was a BB you would assume everything was great and fine right? Besides, not only have you never had an ipad 3 but you never have had a BB PB...

I got responses such as, RIM is about to die, their stock is low, and BB is outdated.

The first two comments shouldn't matter to anyone really, yes their stock is low....so what better time to buy a device from a company when they are selling their products for less than the true value and BB phones of the past have been outdated, not the PB, it is ahead of the curve!

Then, I used his car as a comparison and dissed his Droid. I was like look, you Droid dies because it runs on full power all the time. Imagine how annoying it would be if your car used all of its horsepower while you were in reserve, or you have to put the pedal to the floor everyday even to just get milk or back up out of the driveway. You could say that is stupid and near reckless. But for some reason people think a phone should do that?

Then they spat out more rhetoric, I went into them further. Your car isn't top of the line, heck, it isn't even top of its brand. Why does everyone need a phone that is the latest and greatest? What if everyone had that mentality with everything, from cars to clothes, to girls

Then I told them about the deal breaking ability to tether for free and that is has flash. All they cared about talking was the ipad 3's higher resolution screen....neither of these guys even own one but they defend it to the death!

They then mocked my screen size, I laughed. I said, how portable is a 10 in tablet? If you are at school or work or wherever and you have no bag to throw it in, what do you do with it? I then demonstrated how I fit it into my front pocket, I am over 6 feet tall, I have long strong legs, but either way.

It is sad how people toss out these random facts/ideas, but only use them as negative press. Much of what is said can easily be used in a positive light, I didn't even mention that it runs Flash.

Keep up the good fight and keep informing fools, since RIM's marketing campaign is busy sitting on its .
    03-19-12 02:48 AM
    I was setting my brothers playbook last night with some .bar files and another person went on and on about how his iphone4 is great. I pulled out my 9900 and we got chatting about music. He said he bought an alblum and it only cost $9.99
    I showed him bbm music and how I have over 10,500 songs and asked how much would that cost to buy!
    He asked me if he could get bbm music on his crApple.
    Toxic17 likes this.
    03-19-12 07:14 AM
    To me, posts like this make the BB community look very insecure about their product. If you like what you have you should not be on the defensive and feel the need to defend it. Just enjoy what you have and people will see that if that's your thing.

The fact that the iphone, ipad or Android is mentioned on this site every other post is interesting to me...if I were them, I would love the attention.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    brucep1, howarmat and VanCity778 like this.
    03-19-12 08:16 AM
    You're in a no-win situation. All you had to say is that you've read studies in the American Journal of Telephony that concluded that people who buy Droids with large screens do so because they are trying to make up for their small penises.
    03-19-12 08:39 AM
    To me, posts like this make the BB community look very insecure about their product. If you like what you have you should not be on the defensive and feel the need to defend it. Just enjoy what you have and people will see that if that's your thing.

The fact that the iphone, ipad or Android is mentioned on this site every other post is interesting to me...if I were them, I would love the attention.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    It's not insecurity; it's just that we're tired of constantly being bashed with half-truths or flat-out fale statements, and always hearing about Apple as if they invented everything and make the most perfect products ever made. It's tireseome, like a cop hearing doughnut shop jokes all the time. It gets really old really fast.
    bluetroll and genesis123 like this.
    03-19-12 08:45 AM
    I think you have to stop trying to "defend" the Playbook and start enjoying it more.

Ignorance wins over any insults, so ignore them, continue playing and reading and they'll shut up quicker that way.

People make such a big deal out of an electronic device
    VanCity778 and JeffyPooh like this.
    03-19-12 08:46 AM
    I like the enthusiasm from the OP, but I usually save my breath. I've ended conversations before they started by telling whomever it is RIM bashing to go be smarter than that and check one out for yourself in effort to make your OWN decision as opposed to what the media programs you to think.

If they ask what it is, they've never held one before, otherwise they would know and it's obviously all about 'status' for them. That's when I throw the red flag and my selective hearing kicks in..

Of course, if they're intrigued and don't immediately start running off at the mouth I'm happy to show its finer points along with its issues.

We shouldn't have to defend our personal preferences to anyone. That's RIM's job, regardless of how poor they are at it.
    03-19-12 09:46 AM
    Hey now, penile insecurity is a very serious thing.
    03-19-12 09:56 AM
    I've been told the Playbook is "junk" because it has bezel gestures and it was advertised by Jennifer Lopez

sometimes its not even worth the effort in defending lol
    03-19-12 10:26 AM
    Don't worry OP, You're still young and caught up in product hype. I promise as you get older you wont care what others think about the products you purchase and you wont have a need to defend said products. Use it and enjoy it.
    03-19-12 10:38 AM
    Blah! Defend yourselves and the things you love. Letting ignorance win is a shame. As long as you speak from a position of truth (not making crap up) there is no reason you should have to hold your tongue or ignore the clueless. Knowledge is power, its a shame more don't bother to think and learn something, but that would require an open mind.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    03-19-12 10:38 AM
    Thank you guys, I do feel strongly about not only knowledge but the truth, and that is what it truly comes down to. I am not mad about the ipad, I just don't like as someone said before, how people judge and hate the BB before they have ever used one or even seen one.

It's like technological racism. Oh, that girl was sexy, but once I found out her mom was born in African, she is ugly.

I honestly would be the first to critique RIM and let people know of all its shortcomings, but give credit where credit is due! I am part of a RIM PR campaign because RIM just doesn't know how to sell its product. And part of it, is because I am against ignorant people/thoughts.

Sadly, I do go on long car rides and if this were an elevator conversation with strangers I would just say no, you sir have no clue what you are talking about and are just repeating what you have heard on tv/some website and walked out. But with my friends whom I have known for years, and sitting in a car with them for 4 hours, aww nah. If they don't know, they're gonna learn today.

Also, I laughed at them because my friends BB lasted the whole weekend without charging (BB curve older model) and these guys were like mad.....mad that it didn't die, not in jealous, but as in, well you can't do anything with that thing so of course it wouldn't die. No sir, his phone doesn't die because when idling it actually idles, it doesn't sit there at full power ready to rock.
    03-19-12 12:02 PM
    BB is a very powerful and popular brand outside the USA, especially amongst younger people.

I confiscate many many BB phones in an average school day.....(very cool new Bold today)...and the kids hate handing those babies over, even when they know they are getting them back.
    spike12 likes this.
    03-19-12 02:22 PM
    Yeah American's dont understand that not everyone gets unlimited everything plans.

In fact, I think my friend has this for his SGS2 and has mobile hot spot, for 20 or so more. So he pays almost like 160-80 just to have his phone....that is more than my car insurance.
    03-19-12 04:18 PM
    Well we CAN get unlimited everything, but most working parents with a couple of kids couldn't afford to give them iphones on contract. Besides, BBM is THE messaging /music sharing option of choice for teens!

My point is that BB is still seen as a good brand here.
    03-19-12 04:25 PM
    Keep up the battle against ignorance OP, great story
    03-19-12 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD