Is anyone finding the lack of an integrated spell check difficult? Is there a spell check? Am I doing something wrong? The words are underlines - yet the device gives me no spelling suggestions.
    05-06-11 10:22 AM
    You are not alone. This underlining without correcting is like RIM taunting us! I never guess right on the correction and I wind up cycling through variations, bringing everything else to a dead stop. Let's hope its in the next upgrade, and that comes quickly.
    05-06-11 10:25 AM
    Yeah most of the time i get lazy, but i suppose it is good for us to spell words correctly from the get go. I too miss spell check, but it proves the point that we rely to heavily on automation in our lives. Look at the the fools that drive into a lake because their gps told them to. What if spell check started to misspell words. Most of us would be lost. Okay, fine... I really want spell check too.
    Last edited by 8900Freak; 05-06-11 at 10:37 AM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-06-11 10:32 AM
    i agree that strong grammar is important - no question. its just that I like to use technology to make my daily workload a little easier for me - and im not going to get every word correct on a touch device.....in my opinion, spell check on any Blackberry product is vital for business users that are trying to integrate the Playbook into their daily work.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-06-11 10:39 AM
    I do knot kneed any spelcheck. It just slows u down wen you are typing.
    jpg, Nels, simsim and 1 others like this.
    05-06-11 10:42 AM
    You can always tell when a post is written from a Playbook. Usually, it sports no capitalization! lol.
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-06-11 10:56 AM
    I agree with Buellrunner, BlackBerry is a great resource for working hard especially in regards to email. I believe that spell-check should have been more of a first priority at launch, albeit future updates should hopefully correct this problem I hope it comes earlier rather than later.
    05-06-11 11:15 AM
    Typing on a touch screen will always lead to spelling errors. Using a spell check doesn't mean you can't spell; it just means you might be a lousy typist (like me). We need spell check and grammar correct and double space period followed by capitalized letter for next sentence. Come on RIMM - this is 2011 for heaven's sake.
    05-06-11 01:36 PM
    I say the heck with spell check. I'll get all the spell checking I need when I'm dead! Oh, wait a minute... I'm confusing spell checking with rest. My bad. Yes, we need spell checking dammit!
    peterco likes this.
    05-06-11 01:55 PM
    I do knot kneed any spelcheck. It just slows u down wen you are typing.
    agead

05-06-11 06:39 PM
    Weird part is the spell checker IS working in Word to Go...
    05-06-11 06:47 PM
    Auto-correct is a must on a touch screen.
    05-06-11 06:52 PM
    yes, spell check is needed ... but what I don't understand is why so many people say there is no capitalization ??? There is a shift key that changes it to capitals.
    05-06-11 07:48 PM
    yes, spell check is needed ... but what I don't understand is why so many people say there is no capitalization ??? There is a shift key that changes it to capitals.

They mean AUTO capitalization, where the first letter of a sentence is automatically capitalized.
    05-06-11 10:52 PM
    Auto capitalization has occurred at different times for me on the PB, does not always do it and not for all websites.
    05-06-11 11:14 PM
    When I see a long-winded post or status update coming, sometimes I'll type it in Word to Go or compose it as an email in Bridge and copy it over. It's kinda dumb to need that type of work-around, but it isn't really that hard. The thing that really makes it bad is how accustomed most of us our to customized predictive text and customized auto-correct becauseof Blackberry. Here's hoping this gets addressed soon.
    05-06-11 11:32 PM
    Typing on a touch screen will always lead to spelling errors. Using a spell check doesn't mean you can't spell; it just means you might be a lousy typist (like me). We need spell check and grammar correct and double space period followed by capitalized letter for next sentence. Come on RIMM - this is 2011 for heaven's sake.
    EXACTLY!!! I love the PB but RIM really has to look over how Apple has implemented their smart-correct features.
    05-07-11 07:35 AM
    I remember back in the day when you had to learn how to spell and then use that ability with learning to type. Then as time went on and you became used to it, your speed would increase.
    05-07-11 07:48 AM
    Is there no good spell check app for the Playbook until Rim might think about fixing this?
    01-05-12 02:07 PM
    piman02, it's not possible with the current PlayBook architecture to have a third-party app which can integrate with anything else on the system as you'd want for that. Apps are self-contained and "sandboxed", and there's no way to write a background service or anything like what you'd want.

On the plus side, there's a new 2.0 beta expected imminently and it should have spell-check support. I don't think it magically appears in all apps, but it will support developers easily adding it to their apps.
    01-05-12 03:01 PM
    I hope they do something. I get kind of upset when I choose to put down my Playbook and pick up my phone to reply to my e-mail just because my phone has spell check and my playbook does not. I am not afraid to admit that I am not a very good speller.
    01-05-12 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD