Hoping someone can help me

Noticed that there appears to be duplicate files on my playbook.

I ripped a few videos to my pc and the transferred to the following location over wifi

//accounts/1000/shared/videos

But whilst.browsing around as I thought I had less space than I should have

Noticed that the same files were located in the following //accounts / 1000 / shared / musk/android/movies

Has anyone else noticed this, when I deleted the videos from the second location they also disappear from the first.

Therefore couple of questions is this normal and are the files duplicate therefore taking up double the space

And also as I think I should have more space is there a quick way to see what space you have left on the playbook

Thanks
    03-19-12 06:02 PM
    This has been discussed before, they're not duplicates but are more akin to Windows shortcuts. If you have the Air browser, you can open it and it will tell you how much free space you have.
    darren1981 likes this.
    03-19-12 06:40 PM
    Normal and they are merely references to the REAL files and don't take up space. But if you DELETE these mirrored "references" you will, as you found, DELETE your originals, too.

Androids needs a way to reference files and this "duplication" is the way.
    darren1981 likes this.
    03-19-12 07:10 PM
    Go to Settings -> About -> Hardware and it will show how much free space you have. As others have said, the files are not actually duplicated.
    darren1981 likes this.
    03-19-12 08:06 PM
    Thanks for the reply all. Still seem to have a lot less space than I thought but then maybe I just didn't realize how much some things are taking

One more question if I don't mind - in settings then general it displays how many apps I have and this shows 104 does this count the end pre installed apps such as browser etc

Again thanks and apologies for re posting
    03-20-12 01:19 PM
    No one has come up with a concrete answer as to what ALL of those various apps are but it probably does include internal ones.

I think from some discussions, that the size shown in appworld for some apps is kind of a compressed version for download info but that they may be unpacked when they arrive and might take up more space. ANYONE confirm this????
    03-20-12 03:58 PM
    F2: correct on both counts. Also the app count on the betas included at least one extra "app" for each language supported, and I haven't checked whether that was fixed in 2.0 final. It would be pretty easy to check if someone has a fairly "fresh" install after a debrick or wipe.
    03-20-12 09:55 PM
    Okay, my 32gig has not done much since the OS2 upgrade. The only app I've added is, well, Peter, take a bow, Battery Guru. Including it, I have 41 apps installed - all came with the OS upgrade or were carried over (including the Power Off icon).

About/Applications shows I have 87 installed. That's 46 OTHER apps.
    03-20-12 11:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD