Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default son broke off head phone jack how do I get the piece out?

Hi All,

My son seems to have to have his stupid ear buds in while listening to his games and now he broke off his ear bud jack in the hole you plug
    the head phone jack into.

How do I get the piece out of the fricking hole? Or do I toss it and start over?

HELP

Global Posts
    23,374 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

not sure if tweezers fit but sounds like it will be tough to get out. I wouldnt think you need to toss it though.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Default son broke off head phone jack how do I get the piece out?

Not sure what device your talking about but there are tear down videos on Youtube for just about every device known.

Its not to difficult so long as you have the tools.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Abuser

If your town has such a thing left as a 'watchmaker' (we're talkin' old school here) they used to have an impressive array of 'mini-tools'. The broken off jack could be drilled and tapped and extracted using the tap.

It's possible that cell phone repair services could have similar capabilities.

Good luck.
    Nokia 2160 Motorola E815 Blackberry 8830 9700 Z10
    Scotter75 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    255 Global Posts

I'd try a small fishing hook , straightened out. Drilling probably won't work - the broken piece will spin.
    BergerKing and Carl Estes like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts

Could also try by working it out with a pin or fine needle. It might be small enough to get in there and help push up the jack.
    PlayBook 64GB, PlayBook 32GB (gone the way of my Coleco ADAM)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

I just did a search, several sites suggesting glueing a toothpick to the end with superglue but be careful not to get glue on the socket. However one site had a good idea, find a straw cutting it to an inch or two long and pushing it in so it fits around the plug, then glue the toothpick onto the end of the plug. This means you can use enough glue to glue it without glueing the socket.

If it doesn't work you could switch to a blue tooth headset.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Well maybe a watch repair place or more phone. Repair. Place
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Wow you all are great.
    BergerKing likes this.

Also a pair of medical forceps with very thin/pointy ends might be able to work as they'd be thinner than tweezers. One point might fit inside the shaft and the other just might slide in slightly outside the shaft (no sideways pressure to deform the port) and grasp.

I like the watch repair or cell phone repair. I'm sure a laptop repair place has also had to deal with a broken headphone jack in its time.
    Good luck.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

F2 I think the watch repair or cell phone repair place sounds good
    CrackBerry User

How about a strong magnet?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,172 Global Posts

The headphone plug is hollow. Use a drill bit that is smaller than the headphone plug. Twist it in by hand until it grips the wires inside the plug. Pull out the drill bit.
    If he broke it off by pushing the plug sideways you may have a problem with headphones not working on the left channel. This is because the connector was moved out of place inside the jack. It can be fixed easily but you have to take the back off of the Playbook.
    Nexus 4, 9800 (Torch), Playbook
    CrackBerry Genius

Actually alot of cool ideas on the net. I like this one. Use the (preferably empty) end of a ink pen cartridge (plastic) to jam on the end of the broken connector. You could make a small incision to make sure the plastic tube will go over the connector. Then pull/**** out. I suppose you could try to find other plastic tubing but it has to be pretty rigid.

Edit: awww, censored j_erk.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Bluetooth is your save!

I wouldn't bother trying to fix the jack, it will probably will cost way too much to fix. If you try fix it yourself you'll likely do more damage than good.

Just get yourself a pair of Bluetooth Headphones.
    CrackBerry Abuser

How typical, a jacking off and tweezer thread on crackberry

Where's me pasty?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Fine pitched screw and thread it into the hole already there. Or else just drill it out like you would a bolt that you broke the head off of.
    CrackBerry User

I would try a strong magnet! Also if there is a problem with the jack piece it is repairable! Found some parts for it before and just need to get it soldered.
    BergerKing likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Drilling would be a bad idea in my opinion. I don't think it would work either. The broken piece would just spin. If you could drill you may get metal shavings inside which may cause problems.
    I broke one off in a device a while ago. Took it apart and just pushed the broken piece out from the inside. From the pictures I can't tell if there are holes in the PB jack that would allow it but it's worth a look. If it's broken off flush with the PB cover then taking off the back would give you a few mm's protruding to grab on to.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,858 Global Posts

Default Re: son broke off head phone jack how do I get the piece out?

Youtube has some videos on the subject. Two use the hollow plastic tube which you might get from a bic pen of course after the ink is gone. As a previous post suggestete you slip it down the hole over the broken piece and make sure it firs. Then you take it out nd put a small amount of super glue inside the tube at the end and slip the tube back over the broken piece. Wait 20 minutes for glue to set and pull straight out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails son broke off head phone jack how do I get the piece out?-uploadfromtaptalk1363068532461.jpg  
    CrackBerry Genius

Well, consider yourself lucky. My daughter broke the headphone plug off her full sized piano's headphone socket. Tried tweezers, drill bits, etc. No luck. I had to load it in my vehicle and take it to an electronic repair shop where they disassembled it, removed the broken remnants and repaired the socket, all for only $150.

Good luck to you. Kids these days. Sheesh.
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2141
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1526

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickMJS View Post
    Well, consider yourself lucky. My daughter broke the headphone plug off her full sized piano's headphone socket. Tried tweezers, drill bits, etc. No luck. I had to load it in my vehicle and take it to an electronic repair shop where they disassembled it, removed the broken remnants and repaired the socket, all for only $150.

Good luck to you. Kids these days. Sheesh.
    One of the reasons I have started to seriously prefer bluetooth connections. I wonder how many phones/ipods/mp3-players/(even pianos) have been violently dragged off their respective perches in the gym/office/den/etc as someone is distracted and forgets THE CORD is attached to an item not in their pocket or dangling from their necks!
    CrackBerry User

I had to do this one time with another device, I got a small nail and put a tiny drop of crazy glue on the head, carefully attached to not hit the sides, waited till fully dry and pulled it out.
    Enyigma likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    850 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

Well I will see if the kids got it fixed. If not going to try some of your ideas
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    I just did a search, several sites suggesting glueing a toothpick to the end with superglue but be careful not to get glue on the socket. However one site had a good idea, find a straw cutting it to an inch or two long and pushing it in so it fits around the plug, then glue the toothpick onto the end of the plug. This means you can use enough glue to glue it without glueing the socket.

If it doesn't work you could switch to a blue tooth headset.

Posted via CB10
    I've used the straw method....i recommend that.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    Posted from my Z10 Oreo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast