Ok so i ran into a youtube video about the playbook now its been a few hours looking into buying this little gadget.

Well what i want to know i have an android mobile so when version 2.0 hits the updates will it be easy for me to just copy over my paid apps to the playbook as have the android files backed up.

Will i wait to see what 2.0 is like with reviews and such or just go right ahead and buy

plus is there an output for standard tv as have an older flat screen no hdmi

oh iam not that tech savvy easy transfer off apps would be nice

404error
    Last edited by 404error; 02-13-12 at 05:40 PM.
    02-13-12 05:37 PM
    Firstly, Welcome to Crackberry!

Well what i want to know i have an android mobile so when version 2.0 hits the updates will it be easy for me to just copy over my paid apps to the playbook as have the android files backed up.
    The "Android" apps coming to Playbook will only be available through Blackberry App World. Unfortunately, as far as I am aware, Paid Android Apps would have to be "repurchased" through App World, in your case.

Will i wait to see what 2.0 is like with reviews and such or just go right ahead and buy
    The Playbook "I feel" is a pretty decent Tablet as it is at the moment. Looks as though OS2 will add a whole lot more, so it's your choice!

plus is there an output for standard tv as have an older flat screen no hdmi
    Output from the Playbook is HDMI only, you would want to invest in some kind of Adapter, if such a thing exists? To convert HDMI to, say, Component, or VGA (VGA would be unable to carry sound).

I hope this clears some things up for you. Let us know if you invest and how you get on
    02-13-12 05:47 PM
    Thanks for the great reply, its a shame that it could not just be transfered and installed maybe in a later time there will be a way to do this, i am comparing prices i not seen an android tablet as great priced as this with the power it has, i dont want to rush in but its jst to easy to order online hehe
    02-13-12 06:02 PM
    there are adapters available to convert hdmi to component or s-video
    Sabrent DA-HDCP HDMI to Component Video/RCA Audio Converter - HDMI Input, Component (YPrPB/YCrCb) Output, 720p at TigerDirect.com
    http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Composite...bUvbUpU7121547
    Shop around and buy which ever tablet that fits your needs
    02-13-12 06:29 PM
    Thanks for the great reply, its a shame that it could not just be transfered and installed maybe in a later time there will be a way to do this, i am comparing prices i not seen an android tablet as great priced as this with the power it has, i dont want to rush in but its jst to easy to order online hehe
    That whole issue of Android compatibility come with a big asterisk, which is why RIM didn't even mention the "A-word" at last month's CES demo of OS 2.0.

What needs to happen for you to get an Android apps on a Playbook is this: the app's publisher must register as a BlackBerry developer. They can then run their files through a quick conversion (no, .apk files won't execute on a Playbook), and then test them for compatibility. In some cases an app may require recoding to support specific PlayBook features.

Once the publisher is happy with how well their app works they submit it for sale to App World. Once it's approved, then it's available to download.
    02-13-12 06:46 PM
    so its not running a full android system would be cool if you could run the full andriod os aswell then just use old apps i may just get a new andriod as re paying for an item i have paid for aint worth it .. i been misleaded by some youtube videos looked like they were running the andriod os
    02-15-12 03:39 PM
    i been misleaded by some youtube videos looked like they were running the andriod os
    Rooted playbooks can run loaders, so it looks like they're running Android. They can even get Marketplace running on it. It's not official, and certainly frowned upon by RIM. It's a fairly long-winded process for the average user, and I wouldn't recommend it.

I think the "sale" price is now over(?) But I would seriously consider the Playbook simply for it's power (even more so when OS2 comes along). I've paid for loads of Android apps in the past, yet I no longer own an Android phone. No biggie to me, but that's just me...

But seriously, get yourself into a Bestbuy/Phones4U/Other electronics store and just have a play with all the Tablets, only YOU really know what you'll like
    02-15-12 03:45 PM
    ok iam going to buy a 16gig version for my little cousin for birthday how good is the app world for free games and such, plus will i need to add my creditcard to app world for him even if its just the free games he wants thanks
    02-15-12 04:22 PM
    ok iam going to buy a 16gig version for my little cousin for birthday how good is the app world for free games and such, plus will i need to add my creditcard to app world for him even if its just the free games he wants thanks
    only way you need a credit card is for paid apps. its useless out of the box without wifi so i recomend having some available.
    02-15-12 04:28 PM
    yes he will have wifi i was thinking likeon ipad there like you need account verified with a card even if your just browsing the market click on free things
    02-15-12 04:43 PM
    Since you've already decided to buy it for your cousin, I'd recommend extended use with the Playbook. Even though I knew I wanted the PB, it was only after about two weeks of use that I really began to appreciate how much faster, more powerful and efficient it was over everything else I'd used till now.

As far as app selection goes, The PB and imminent BBX/10 ecosystem is growing very quickly right now, I notice many new apps everday, both native and Android.
    Even some of the free apps are of extraordinarily high quality.
    02-15-12 04:53 PM
    That whole issue of Android compatibility come with a big asterisk, which is why RIM didn't even mention the "A-word" at last month's CES demo of OS 2.0.

What needs to happen for you to get an Android apps on a Playbook is this: the app's publisher must register as a BlackBerry developer. ...
    I sincerely believe Android probably wasn't mentioned at Devcon Europe because now RIM is starting to distance themselves form the term "Android", If you read some of their memoranda to developers, they essentially state that 'once your app has been converted, from that point on it is a BB app.' since these apps were never the property of Android in the first place but that of the developers.
    02-15-12 05:00 PM
    If you read some of their memoranda to developers, they essentially state that 'once your app has been converted, from that point on it is a BB app.' since these apps were never the property of Android in the first place but that of the developers.
    I did wonder about the legal-side of the whole Android app thing. But yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I could seriously see Google lashing out at RIM if the Playbook takes off after OS2 though. For one reason or another.
    02-15-12 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD