Most everyone who has a PlayBook will agree the hardware is great. The device has several features to its advantage:

1. Size of tablet
    2. Speed of operating system
    3. Strong features such as high MB cameras
    4. Flash supported browser

But, in the end great software beats out great hardware. The analogy "If you put a Honda Civic engine into a Ferrari, is it still a Ferrari? And, would anyone want it?" The answer is no. The PlayBook has great hardware, but the software is...well swiss cheese. Yes, there will be updates. Every device has updates - iPad, XOOM, Tab, etc. The issue RIM will have is how strong can their software be. Hear me out:

1. The PlayBook is already competing behind the operation systems of iPad and Android devices. The most important feature for most users are quality apps. Apps are developed from third party developers who get paid for launching new and updated apps. The issue is will developers take the time to develop apps for a very small market place? Windows 7 is on plenty of phones, but developers aren't flocking over there. Why? There's no money.

2. Another hurdle for potential PlayBook developers is the introduction of Android into the RIM world. If I'm a developer (and I used to be) I'm not going to waste my hours building a new app just for PlayBook when I know the app I already built for Android will be available on the PlayBook. For users, there is no real time/date when Android will be available on the PlayBook.

That makes total sense for the developer, but it burns PlayBook users. I'd love to have a Twitter, FaceBook, EPSN, Skype, etc app. But, I don't see most of these coming. Skype was already suppose to be here, but it's not. And, for those who use Twitter but haven't heard Twitter already stated they are not allowing anymore third party apps:

Twitter angers third-party developers with 'no more timelines' urging | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Report: Use Of Third-Party Twitter Clients Dwindles To 42 Percent

This means PlayBook will not see a Twitter app unless it comes directly from Twitter (good news is they are in talks with TweetDeck in a possible takeover). With no Twitter app it's easier for me to use the social media tool on my iPhone, BlackBerry, or computer. A reason not to use the PlayBook.

3. The Bridge function is a great idea, but has several flaws. No need to go over them because everyone already knows. But, the second largest carrier in the USA - ATT - has not approved this function with their BlackBerry phones. This is a huge problem for RIM and really shows how little they did in terms of usability and testing.

4. PlayBook browser. This guy is nice, one of the better tablet browsers out there. But, it's not close to smooth yet and I'm assuming updates will fix the issues (zoom in/out shifts the screen focus, clicks don't always work, scrolling is not smooth, there is lag between touch and execution).

The bigger problem is sites like Hulu are already blocking the BlackBerry browser. Why? Because the browser registers as a "BlackBerry Browser" instead of an already existing industry standard like Firefox, Mozilla, Safari, IE, etc. Yes, there is a work around for Hulu. But, that does not help the user experience. Users don't want work arounds, they want devices that work.

Even though this device is only a few days out of launch, it shouldn't have ever launched like this. When the iPad launched there wasn't massive holes in its operating system. When the XOOM launched there wasn't massive holes in its operating system. Etc... I hope RIM finds a way to shore up their software, because without strong software and quality apps that appeal to users the PlayBook will end up being a great looking device that had a ton of potential.
    04-21-11 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD