So I am wondering...when the first 4G BB's hit Verizon next year, will the Bridge be able to give the PB 4G speed....or at least faster than the current?
    12-02-11 08:16 PM
    sorry if my question wasn't clear. if you use your phone to bridge to the playbook now, you get 3G speeds on verizon, right? so when 4G BB's come out, will the BB bridge to the playbook give the playbook 4G speed?
    12-03-11 09:40 AM
    I don't see why not, the only limitation is the speed of bluetooth transfer speeds.
    12-03-11 09:55 AM
    Yep the bottle neck would be bluetooth. If they can update the bluetooth stack on the playbook to 3.0 it would surely do the trick.

Edit: They would also have to be able to update the phone. I don't know if that is possible or not.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 12-03-11 at 10:02 AM. Reason: add phone
    12-03-11 10:01 AM
    you will not get 4G speeds thru the bridge over bluetooth. Its the bottleneck now, so throwing more speed into the phone wont get you a faster transfer over bluetooth.

Now, you will have wifi hotspot that can provide much faster speed to the device. The PB will also have native apps by then too. Unless you want to stick to the bridge setup wifi hotspot and native apps will be much more desirable.
    12-03-11 10:12 AM
    The real question for 4G/LTE BlackBerry smartphones for users in Canada boils down to "will the wireless carriers make a flexible data plan such as is available for mobile WiFi (MiFi ) devices but on the smartphones now?" If we are locked into a fixed data cap, it would be too easy to blow through it when using the tablet connected to the smartphone. If the future is wireless why are the carriers insisting upon screwing their customers?
    12-03-11 10:31 AM
    i guess the native apps thing has got me confused. so with the 2.0 update next year, the playbook will have native email and calendar, right?

so does that mean you will be able to get push email on the playbook then?

that still won't speed up browsing though. and the mobile hotspot is an extra $20 and can be used on any tablet or laptop. so that takes away part of the value of the playbook, no?
    12-03-11 10:33 AM
    i guess the native apps thing has got me confused. so with the 2.0 update next year, the playbook will have native email and calendar, right?

so does that mean you will be able to get push email on the playbook then?

that still won't speed up browsing though. and the mobile hotspot is an extra $20 and can be used on any tablet or laptop. so that takes away part of the value of the playbook, no?
    Well yes that is the rumor anyway that OS 2.0 will have email etc. along with spell check and predictive text etc.

Not sure about push unless it's push like they say active sync does but I know nothing about that. To get true RIM push email wouldn't you need a 3g or 4g playbook?

Well as far as a wifi only device wouldn't any wifi only device also not have this value and also need the hotspot charge? BTW I think there are work a rounds for other devices for wifi hotspot that isn't charged like the tether app and am sure one will be out for the playbook/phones also.
    12-03-11 10:40 AM
    what i am saying is that the value of being able to bridge to your playbook through your phone and get internet access becomes a moot point if you pay for the moble hotspot.

Well as far as a wifi only device wouldn't any wifi only device also not have this value and also need the hotspot charge? BTW I think there are work a rounds for other devices for wifi hotspot that isn't charged like the tether app and am sure one will be out for the playbook/phones also.
    12-03-11 12:27 PM
    Well except for right now to get your email etc. but yes as far as web access or access that might be a little slower but at no additional cost.
    12-03-11 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD