"Rim.Transcoder has stopped working"

ImageShack� - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Im getting this issue when i plug in my pb and start desktop manager. As you can see it seems to be stuck in a loop and keeps opening that same window over and over again. I dunno if this is a problem with the PB, the Desktop Manager or my laptop.

It doesnt seem to happen when i hook up my BB (or atleast it hasn't so far).

any thoughts?
    01-06-12 12:54 PM
    try a reboot on both, pc and playbook
    01-06-12 12:55 PM
    I've got that and just ignore or close it. It hasn't seemed to affect anything that I can tell. Still able to backup etc.
    01-06-12 01:06 PM
    ya it doesnt stop anything, but the infinite windows opening up constantly is super annoying. im afraid if i just leave it it'll end up making my laptop crash, so in that sense it is interfering.

wtf is rim.transcoder anyway?
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 01-06-12 at 02:24 PM.
    01-06-12 02:11 PM
    taken from Blackberry support forums:

This is a compatibilty problem in windows Vista or Windows 7, Rim.Transcoder has to be changed to run as Admin and under windows XP SP 1 or 2, it's a Dos exe and will not run in windows 7 till you change the properities of file.

Location C:\program files (x86)\research in motion\blackberry desktop and locate file rim.transcoder and right click properities, change compatibilty as per above and use run as admin.

Close program and error will not occure.

tested and works.
    Knightcrawler and jafobabe like this.
    01-06-12 02:21 PM
    ok so, i've checked the 'admin' box.....in the compatibility mode drop down menu, should i select windows 7 (im currently on a win7 laptop)?
    01-06-12 02:29 PM
    From the directions I've found it seems that you would pick Win 7, or whatever Windows you're running (for others having this problem.)
    01-06-12 02:43 PM
    ok so i've tried that but it doesnt seem to work for me.
    01-06-12 02:47 PM
    Well that sucks! I haven't had the problem personally, but I'll keep digging and see what I can find.

Edit: Do you by chance have a lot of videos downloaded to your PB? There seems to be a problem with the transcoder and some video formats.

If by chance this is the case, you can check it by going into sync and un-checking "sync video". If it's a format-based issue that should fix it....once.

The only solution (workaround, really) is to create an empty folder and point the sync to it so it doesn't find the offending files.

Seems like this is a fairly well documented problem that RIM has yet to address.
    Last edited by anderson620; 01-06-12 at 04:18 PM.
    01-06-12 04:12 PM
    Definately think this is video file related. I only started getting this error once I filled the PB with videos. Backs up fine so I wouldn't worry.
    03-04-12 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD