Should I keep it? I was thinking of selling it to offset the purchase of an iPad. My main uses for a tablet is just reading, and in that a variety of materials like research journals, ebooks and pdfs. I borrowed my dad's iPad 2 for a couple of days to see if I could fit it into my lifestyle, and while it is true that it is a little too big to be using on the move all the time, I enjoyed reading on it a lot due to its 9.7" screen. The PB's strengths are media playing (music/videos) and bridge functionality, but unfortunately I don't listen to music when I'm reading while taking public transport, and neither do I have a BB phone to make use of Bridge.

A little bit of context - I did have a PlayBook a few months ago which ran on OS 1.0 (subsequently beta 2.0) and quite frankly it couldn't do much with what was available then, hence I sold it.

So are there any avid readers out there who use the PlayBook exclusively for their reading needs? The 7" form factor is great for portability and I personally do like the UI. I have been toying with the idea of getting an e-ink reader (Kindle) for my reading needs as well, and I'm wondering if that would be better than using a PB.

I did visit mobileread forum and some other communities for more views, but I would like to hear it from PlayBook fans on CrackBerry.
    04-07-12 01:00 AM
    I use it with MoonReader sideloaded...

I read around 1 to 2 hours a night, use docs2go and have NO PROBLEM using the web and reading articles/journals off of the browser.

as for YOUR needs, i dont really know what YOU need... for me it has replaced my sony reader as well as my desktop for 'night reading'

I LOVE IT!
    04-07-12 01:35 AM
    well if you dont have bb phone, you lost a lot of unique feature of PB

but even if I dont have bb, i will still buy PB because it's easy to multitask and easy to copy mp3

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700
    04-07-12 01:44 AM
    I don't get it. You bought another PlayBook just to immediately question whether or not you should sell it? Since you will be forced to take a loss, wouldn't it have made a bit more sense to have tried to make this decision, before you shelled out your money? This just seems a little bizarre to me.

That being said, the right way to approach this forum is just to ask, can the PB function as such and such or how do I use the PB to do such and such. The wrong way to approach this forum is to ask, "should I sell my PlayBook, so I can buy an iPad?"
    04-07-12 01:50 AM
    I don't get it. You bought another PlayBook just to immediately question whether or not you should sell it? Since you will be forced to take a loss, wouldn't it have made a bit more sense to have tried to make this decision, before you shelled out your money? This just seems a little bizarre to me.

That being said, the right way to approach this forum is just to ask, can the PB function as such and such or how do I use the PB to do such and such. The wrong way to approach this forum is to ask, "should I sell my PlayBook, so I can buy an iPad?"
    If it is still in the box then he can sell it for what he paid... of course he would need to 'work' towards the sale and that would cost time.
    04-07-12 01:59 AM
    If it is still in the box then he can sell it for what he paid... of course he would need to 'work' towards the sale and that would cost time.
    Well, he could just return it, and get what he paid for I guess. But he (or she) asked "should I sell it," and in that case, I'm telling you, he will take a loss. Nobody pays full price from an individual seller.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-07-12 02:02 AM
    I apologize for not making it clear, but I received this playbook as part of the app development offer just a couple of months ago.
    04-07-12 03:20 AM
    Well, since the price of the PB is quite low, why can't you just keep it and try it out?
    Btw: what did you develop for the PB if I may ask?
    04-07-12 03:25 AM
    Well, since the price of the PB is quite low, why can't you just keep it and try it out?
    Btw: what did you develop for the PB if I may ask?
    I am considering to do that at the moment! When I signed up for the offer I was really excited at the prospect of seeing my own app run on a playbook. Some people are probably gonna balk at me trying to sell a gift from RIM.. .

But I was one of the few unlucky ones to meet with a bizarre bug in the dev tools and it frustrated me to no end. In essence Flash Builder 4.6 would corrupt my app to a white screen for absolutely no reason. It was back and forth with RIM for a good 3 weeks wasted on a hidden bug and I'm not sure if I'm going to continue to develop on this platform.
    04-07-12 03:38 AM
    I don't truly get it. Brand new just received and want to sell it. Not really a choice. This advice will go against my view on playbook, but maybe you should return it and just get a refund if it's new and unopened. Kinda a no brainer. But lots have changed since 1.0 and the beta. But your choice and your call. BUT they are plenty of readers out there for PB. IPads are fine but a little expensive just for a book reader.you should really experience QNX now. Much more powerful.
    04-07-12 05:15 AM
    Return it and pick up an ipad2 - I'm extremely happy I did and ebooks on iPad is great, simple and I agree with you the reading space on the iPad is much better than the playbook.
    04-07-12 05:15 AM
    DG - based on what you described, I think you should sell the PlayBook and buy a Kindle. Having said that, regular Kindles go for (I think) $100, so you wouldn't be out of much money if you kept the PlayBook, though it also sounds like you may want to buy the iPad 3/HD, a much larger expense.

If you go the "sell the Playbook" route, do you intend to buy either the new iPad or a Kindle or are you going go try to buy both?
    Last edited by CHIP72; 04-07-12 at 06:06 AM.
    04-07-12 06:03 AM
    I love PB, it has become my main mobile device and has replaced laptop in short trips.
    But I'd never keep it for reading books only. My favorite readers are Sony ebooks.
    04-07-12 06:54 AM
    I'd always suggest a Kindle for book reading. I cannot understand why anyone would shell out hundreds for an iPad just to read books, that's bizarre...
    04-07-12 07:09 AM
    If your main use is reading buy an eReader.
    Using an iPad as an eReader is like buying a Mac Pro to play solitaire.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    04-07-12 07:13 AM
    Just put out the cash for an iPad. You may initially use it to read books but your uses will quickly expand and it will be worth the amount you paid and more - trust me on this!

Ps - get an iPad 2 and save abit of cash.
    04-07-12 07:20 AM
    It's pretty much a personal decision. I love my pb but i still prefer my sony ereader for ebooks.
    However, as this pb was a 'gift' you can absolutely send it my way. I wouldn't be at all offended.
    04-07-12 07:23 AM
    I read on my PlayBook a lot! Outside, inside, where ever! The screen is really nice, and the form factor is much easier to hold. (I own an iPad 3 and a PlayBook...)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    04-07-12 07:32 AM
    I apologize for not making it clear, but I received this playbook as part of the app development offer just a couple of months ago.
    Well now, as bizarre as this thread is, it is clear that you get a free PB from RIM to develop apps, you can't develop an app, and now you want to "sell" something you didn't pay for? You get no sympathy from me Bud...either return the PlayBook to RIM, or donate it to a charity. I take great umbrage that you would even think of selling something that was given to you based on your offer of doing something in return, and so far, you have failed in your promise to RIM. Give it back, you haven't earned the right to keep or sell the PlayBook.
    kozmo68 and berrydroidapple like this.
    04-07-12 07:38 AM
    Quite a jump from app developer to just someone who needs a tablet for ebooks.
    04-07-12 07:57 AM
    Vet, did I miss where OP said he did not make the app? If he did, I don't see how it is unethical to dispose of said PB as he see fits.

Quite a jump from app developer to just someone who needs a tablet for ebooks.
    Yes, because he is violating the law that states that if you are a developer, you can't use your device only to read books.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    CNParrish and Addict9700 like this.
    04-07-12 08:12 AM
    A 'developer' wouldn't be asking about the capabilities of a device they have previously owned and have developed for.

As for my recommendation, sell it for as much as you can get and sign on as an Apple 'developer', see if you can soak them for a free iPad
    Last edited by vorpalz; 04-07-12 at 08:34 AM.
    04-07-12 08:31 AM
    A 'developer' wouldn't be asking about the capabilities of a device they have previously owned and have developed for.

As for my recommendation, sell it for as much as you can get and sign on as an Apple 'developer', see if you can soak them for a free iPad
    Yes, that's exactly what I would do if I was lacking in moral principles, morally bankrupt, if you will, an unwillingness to adhere to the terms of app development in exchange for a free PlayBook, and exhibiting a total abscence ethics and professionalism. Thanks to His Eminence, I suffer from none of the above.
    04-07-12 09:10 AM
    I've been wondering about this free playbook for developers deal. I kept wondering about those that would create some non-useful app and walk away with a PlayBook. Now, I see what happens.

It is up to you to make your decision, but have you thought of returning the PlayBook to RIM with a letter explaining why you felt frustration developing for the company. Seems this would send up a Red Flag to the person in charge of developers that something is wrong, and make some changes before more of this kind of thing continues.
    spike12 likes this.
    04-07-12 01:01 PM
    Yes, that's exactly what I would do if I was lacking in moral principles, morally bankrupt, if you will, an unwillingness to adhere to the terms of app development in exchange for a free PlayBook, and exhibiting a total abscence ethics and professionalism. Thanks to His Eminence, I suffer from none of the above.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh, al....You think you might be going a bit overboard here?" Lacking in moral principles, morally bankrupt??" Derwent said he was "one of the few unlucky ones to meet with a bizarre bug in the dev tools and it frustrated me to no end. In essence Flash Builder 4.6 would corrupt my app to a white screen for absolutely no reason..." I have no idea of the validity of what he said, but apparently RIM felt he adhered to the terms of their deal, because they, in fact, gave him a PlayBook. Now, I find it strange that a developer would not know what this device is or isn't good for, or would ask this forum if he should sell it to buy an iPad. That was more than a bit incendiary. But, I do not for a moment believe he doesn't rightfully own his PlayBook and has the right to do whatever he wants with it. He just would have been better off not rubbing our faces in it.
    Addict9700 and Princepia like this.
    04-07-12 01:23 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD