I just wanted to see how it worked, so I downloaded a 45-min episode of The Walking Dead. At $1.99, the price is the same as Amazon and iTunes (for standard def anyway), but I didn't see a season pass discount option. (At least with season 1 of TWD, there are only six episodes, so even at the pricey two bucks a pop, it's still cheaper than buying the DVD.)

After downloading a bit, it gave me the option to start playing while it continued to download (which I didn't actually try). When done, I played it full screen. Walking Dead is widescreen format. I don't know the aspect ratio though. It has about a quarter-inch of letter box top and bottom, but it looked good, to me anyway. There was no choice for HD or standard def. (I ran across something that indicated that rentals may be either, but purchases are SD only. Can't remember where I saw that though.)

The video doesn't show up in the videos section of file manager. I have to access it through the video store. Though I can't browse the store offline, I could still see and play the downloaded episode. It does show up under videos in airbrowser as a 650mb .ismv file but it won't open from there because the file is unsupported.

I was able to copy the file to my computer, so it looks like I could store it there when i need to save space on my playbook. However, I don't know if, once deleted, copying it back to my videos folder would get it back into my video store library so who knows if I could actually play it again. (Edited to add that I was able to delete it through the store and it now shows as available to download again in my purchases, so that's good.)

Also, my computer wasn't able to open it, so I couldn't watch it from there. I hope there is some type of player I can download, 1.99 per episode is a total rip if i can only play it via the PB. Even Amazon and iTunes lets you play via desktop.

If the files were playable on other devices or at least my computer, i would inclined to support the video store (well, if i could find stuff i wanted in the extremely limited selection), but unless I'm really dying for something to put on my PB for a long plane ride, the price, selection, and restrictions are a turn off.

I didn't see a FAQ/help section and I couldn't find a customer service number. If anyone knows how I can find more information, please let me know.
    Last edited by Swirlz; 02-29-12 at 01:12 AM.
    jslawell likes this.
    02-22-12 10:41 AM
    Doesn't it run on the cinemanow store? If so then you could check the website for that and see if you can access the movies you've already paid for through the web client. Be sure to come back here and let us know if this works!
    02-22-12 10:50 AM
    Thanks for the review - nice to understand how & how it does not work.

Here is a CB review: http://crackberry.com/video-store-blackberry-playbook

Here is the support page for the Video Store: BlackBerry Video Store

As for viewing this on other devices - you have options:

1.) Plug your PlayBook into you TV!!!!
    2.) You *CAN* watch your rented/purchased videos on a computer. See below for my conversation with Rovi's great live support person:

Chat Transcript

Alfred: thank you for contacting customer service care, how may i help you?

Customer: Hello Alfred! I was wondering, if I rent/purchase a video - if I am able to stream this on a computer as well, besides just the PlayBook

Alfred: Yes, the only thing you need to do is to log in in your account and go to your library.

Customer: so visit, "blackberry.roxionow.com" ... login to my account, and I can stream my purchase/rental from there as well?

Alfred: You can go directly to roxionow.com and log in to your account.

Customer: Excellent! Thanks for your help.

Alfred: is there anything else i can help you with?

Alfred: you are welcome!

Customer: That's everything! Thank you.
    02-22-12 11:20 AM
    Does the rental period start when the movie is downloaded or when it is first played? I was thinking his mightier nice to rent a few movies before a trip and then have them to watch when the time is right.
    02-22-12 11:20 AM
    Does the rental period start when the movie is downloaded or when it is first played? I was thinking his mightier nice to rent a few movies before a trip and then have them to watch when the time is right.
    The BlackBerry Video Support Site (GOTO: http://blackberry.roxionow.com/) mentions the following:

As per the End User License Agreement (EULA) that you agreed to when you signed up for the Rovi powered webstore, you have an unlimited download period. RoxioNow videos you have not yet downloaded appear in My Media Manager under Download it. Also, videos that you have downloaded previously will appear in this section with a Re-Download button.

Once you have downloaded the video, you may wait as long as you wish to watch the video for the first time -- as long as the video has not expired from the website you will have access. Simply open the media manager by clicking on the shortcut icon on your desktop and click on Watch from the library.

However, also per the EULA, the content that Rovi provides is under license with third party companies, such as movie studios. If the contract for the movie you purchased expires between Rovi and the third party, then the file may not be made available to download again. The ability to re-download your movie may change at any time.

Finally, once a movie has been downloaded and the license for that movie has been exchanged between Rovi and one of your authorized computers, the transaction is considered complete and a refund cannot be issued if your computer crashes or you lose the file. This is a common practice of all download movie services.
    If your license has expired on a rental, you must pay for the video again in order to get a new license to watch the title. Remember that the license for your title begins "counting down" when you first click the Watch Now button from the Rovi Player.

How this works:

When you Rent a film from a webstore, download the film to your Rovi Player and click Watch Now when available. If the title has a 24 hour viewing period, you have only 24 hours from the time you click Watch Now the first time to completely view the film. If you try to click Watch Now or select the Play button more than 24 hours after you have started watching the film you WILL receive a license error. You must renew your license to the film in order to obtain a new, valid license.Remember, you can keep an "unwatched" rental title on your hard drive for up to 30 days. The license clock will NOT begin until you click Watch Now or the Play button for the first time.
    Titles listed as "Buy" have an unlimited license period meaning that your license should not expire. If you do experience problems viewing a title which you have purchased instead of rented, please contact the Rovi Customer Support team and they will help troubleshoot the issue for you.
    02-22-12 02:43 PM
    I must be doing something wrong then. I went to blackberry.roxionow.com on my computer and logged into my account. From there, I could see all my account information including my order history for the Walking Dead. What I couldn't see was any way to access the movie and start watching it. There was no library like there is on the Playbook. I couldn't even see the video store. I only had three tabs to choose from: home (which was just a title page without any clickable links), account information, and help.

Maybe I need to download some type of application to use it? I'll have to contact customer service tomorrow. Both live chat and telephone customer service are closed right now.

It makes me wonder though because the home page says "Watch on Your Blackberry Playbook". It doesn't say anything about watching on your computer too. Also, on my Walking Dead order history, it specifically says under "product": download for the Playbook. Since Rovi apparently sets up various stores and services for different clients, I wonder if the help the live chat guy was giving was a generic Rovi help and things are tweaked for this specific store.

(Jean Luc Picard, I think the CinemaNow site is separate even though it's Rovi also. It wouldn't recognize my account info.)
    Last edited by Swirlz; 02-24-12 at 02:14 AM.
    02-24-12 02:07 AM
    I sent an email to the help desk last night and received a response early this morning telling me to log in at CinemaNow.com, not BlackBerry.RoxioNow.com. But I tried that and my username/password aren't recognized, so I called customer support. The agent wasn't familiar with the blackberry video store. He said (as I suspected) the help desk handles a variety of Roxio powered stores. After doing some research, his conclusion was that BlackBerry video purchases on the Playbook are only viewable on the Playbook itself and you can't download or stream to the computer. He wasn't able to find real documentation to that effect though. He likened it to the Touchpad and said the only way to use HP video store on a desktop was through a downloaded app due to the DRM, but he didn't know of a similar app available for BlackBerry video. He was really unsure about all of this though. It sounded like he was just reasoning it out just like I did in my earlier post without any specific knowledge or training on it.

So I wrote the first rep back. I'm hoping she might be able to provide me with a more definitive answer or some supporting documentation (or hopefully a different answer!).
    Last edited by Swirlz; 02-24-12 at 01:35 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-24-12 01:33 PM

So, it's been over a week now and there's been no response to my help desk ticket updated on 2/24/12, the escalated help desk ticket generated from chat on the 26th, or the third ticket that was generated by the phone call I made trying to check on my first ticket which they couldn't find at the time even though I can see it on their website.

If anyone ever successfully gets a real answer (i.e. a definitive no or a yes that actually works unlike the canned responses I and Brizzadman got that led nowhere) out of these people regarding playing the videos on the pc, please post about it. Until then, I can't see myself using a service that's apparently been thrown together in such a half-----d way, that the help desk can't even a answer a basic question.
    03-04-12 04:29 PM
    Anything more then 99 cents is a ripoff.
    03-04-12 05:25 PM
    I bought Tower Heist and it is in the video file. I do not have to go into the video store to watch.
    jafobabe likes this.
    03-04-12 05:57 PM
    Oh, you're right Chappy319. I just redownloaded my episode and it now does appear in my videos tab. Maybe they're still tweaking things.

Interestingly, the video was playable immediately as opposed to having to wait for it to buffer for a while the first time before it would allow me to watch while it continued to download. I don't know if it's because I have a faster connection right now or maybe it's cached somehow or something.
    03-04-12 06:54 PM
    I have 5 videos now from the store and they always appeared under the video tab. Download went quick even for a 2 gig 3 hour movie.
    I was hoping to be able to watch some on my other PB but I can understand why they have it limited to the PB it was downloaded to.
    03-04-12 07:10 PM
    Maybe I just missed it then while scrolling through my videos the first time. I have a lot and there's no search function. There is a search function in the videos under file manager, but it still doesn't appear there at all as far as I can see. Which isn't a problem either way (since downloads were also accessible through the store even while offline), just an observation.

As far restricting it to one playbook, I could understand that if it was industry standard but it's not. It's not even standard for Rovi. The help section at blackberry.roxionow.com states that usually the rovi stores allow five licenses for other devices. I don't know why they would limit it to just one Playbook. Maybe it's just a matter of somehow linking the PB accounts. I'm thinking that might actually be a more straightforward question for customer service. It might be worth your while to try asking.
    Last edited by Swirlz; 03-04-12 at 08:03 PM.
    03-04-12 07:43 PM
    After two weeks, I finally received a response:

WebTicket
    02/24/2012
    History:
    Date:03/09/2012
    Email From: [email protected]
    To: xxxxxxxxx
    Subject: RES Support - Agent Response

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

I apologize, but you can only download and view the movies you purchase within the Video Store on the PlayBook. Your PlayBook account is a different account from a CinemaNow account.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thank you.

Click the link below to view or update your support case. (Note: the case is automatically closed if no response is received within 5 days).

* Case # #######

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
    The Rovi Entertainment Store Support Team
    03-10-12 02:22 PM
    I'm downloading a movie now and it says it will take 1 DAY and 10 HOURS???

The other two movies I downloaded only took a few minutes...

What's Up with that?
    03-10-12 02:52 PM
    I'm downloading a movie now and it says it will take 1 DAY and 10 HOURS???

The other two movies I downloaded only took a few minutes...

What's Up with that?
    Time to turn off Bridge.....JK!
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    03-10-12 04:42 PM
    Hi all! I have registered for an account, but cannot find the video store app on appworld? And it is not already on my playbook? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    01-01-13 09:53 PM
    Hi all! I have registered for an account, but cannot find the video store app on appworld? And it is not already on my playbook? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    What country are you located in? It is not universally available due to copyright/licensing issues.
    01-01-13 10:30 PM
    USA - I don't see it as a download through app world nor was it previously installed on my PB. Thanks!
    What country are you located in? It is not universally available due to copyright/licensing issues.
    01-02-13 01:27 PM
    I don't recall where it may be located. Check to see if it might be on a SECOND Pane/Panel off to the RIGHT. Kind of Swipe toward the left and see if a second pane appears. Make sure it is not in any folders? Swipe UP to reveal icons down below the visible area. The icons for the Video and music stores look like Shopping Bags. Filmstrip on the video and musical note on the music store.
    01-02-13 02:37 PM
    Thanks F2-- I have been all over the app world Site as well as the blackberry/roxio site where I registered.... With no luck??Maybe it wasn't meant to be??? Is the video store normally installed when the PB is new? I do have access to the accessories store, but it says it is not available now. Hmmmm
    I don't recall where it may be located. Check to see if it might be on a SECOND Pane/Panel off to the RIGHT. Kind of Swipe toward the left and see if a second pane appears. Make sure it is not in any folders? Swipe UP to reveal icons down below the visible area. The icons for the Video and music stores look like Shopping Bags. Filmstrip on the video and musical note on the music store.
    01-02-13 05:47 PM
    Thanks F2-- I have been all over the app world Site as well as the blackberry/roxio site where I registered.... With no luck??Maybe it wasn't meant to be??? Is the video store normally installed when the PB is new? I do have access to the accessories store, but it says it is not available now. Hmmmm
    How new is the device? You could follow up with Rim. They might want to help out someone who wants access to the video store.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    johnierw likes this.
    01-02-13 06:11 PM
    Nah I am a second hand owner picked it up off Ebay for $140 so I cannot and will not complain!! I just performed a complete wipe of the playbook and a clean install and AND LO AND BEHOLD IT HAS MAGICALLY APPEARED!!!! LOL
    How new is the device? You could follow up with Rim. They might want to help out someone who wants access to the video store.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Last edited by johnierw; 01-02-13 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Video Store -restored!!
    01-02-13 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD