Got a very gently used 64gb Playbook off of eBay and have gotten to play with it for about an hour so far doing set ups... I am really impressed with the build quality and the way it just works (especially for an older machine) I was expecting horrific experience, but it's quicker than my old (no name) android tablet, and it feels 1000 times more sturdy.

Still working on getting video to work off my wd netserver, but so far, so good.

Definitely worth the $60.
    09-22-14 09:38 PM
    Yeah definitely worth $60. I paid the same for my 64gb. Still use it nightly. If I want to watch a movie, I just convert it for the pb. There is a couple of free converters out there

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.1052
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    09-22-14 09:55 PM
    hoping to find a decent streaming video player. Looks like Kalemsoft does. I may end up getting it so I can access my NAS. Anyone have experience with it with a WD MyBookLive?

Was disappointed that my current .bar for Teamviewer crashes out. I think it was the one I downloaded for my Z10, though, so it's 4.0 or better... may try to find the 2.3 version of it and try again.
    09-22-14 11:26 PM
    Works great with kalemsoft, you may have to turn on the twonky server on the wd.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-14 12:50 AM
    Yeah, the PB's Android Runtime is older (Gingerbread 2.3), so you may have a sliver of better luck with the 2.3 apk file if you can find it.

Nice deal on the 64 gig and glad it's working for you. I've had mine for two years now and it still gets daily use.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    09-23-14 06:08 AM
    Already have Twonky on, so it can be accessed on other devices. So that's done.
    Probably ought to just go ahead and drop the $$$ on the kalemsoft. I've pulled several things off it, and nothing is supported (so far).
    09-23-14 07:45 PM
    For remote desktop, Splashtop has a native PB app. Still works for me but recent reviews suggest YMMV.
    09-23-14 09:19 PM
    not having teamviewer isn't a deal breaker. I still have it on my Z10 (and my laptop). Since I dropped the big bux to actually have a license for it, I want to stay in that ecosphere (besides, it just works - I use it on average 2 - 3 times/week between family and clients) - normally I can click in on the Z10, see if it's something horrendous, and then either get on with the laptop right away, or determine it can wait. Having it on the PB isn't going to change that, but it would be nice if it did.

I did spring for Kalemsoft. It works fairly well, but WD still doesn't see it as being able to use. I can go through Kalemsoft, use Twonky, however, and that's ok. Twonky just adds jumps, where being able to log in directly would be less likely to lag. Not a biggie, though.

I do like the loudness of the speakers! I took a shower this evening, and was listening to a radio show/podcast, and could hear it well in the shower. Still have to sort through moving more music onto it... but we'll get there.

My Samsung bluetooth keyboard works well with it, as well. Did some homework tonight on it with the keyboard, just to see if I could... if I didn't need some of the software on my laptop, I'd almost leave the laptop at home... but I bet I can leave it in the car now... heheh.

I am watching the BB10 experimentation, and when I get time, I may jump in and replicate the current experiments and see how livable it is. I'd like to shake down some bloat, but I can't gripe too bad.

I did try my plug in android keyboard - it does NOT work. Which is fine. I never liked it much (I had ordered it by mistake instead of just a cover on my old no-name tablet that has since become a parts donor for wifey's identical one that blew up the battery... )
    09-23-14 10:12 PM
    hoping to find a decent streaming video player. Looks like Kalemsoft does. I may end up getting it so I can access my NAS. Anyone have experience with it with a WD MyBookLive?

Was disappointed that my current .bar for Teamviewer crashes out. I think it was the one I downloaded for my Z10, though, so it's 4.0 or better... may try to find the 2.3 version of it and try again.

Yes--kind of-- I have a WD MyCloud setup and use Kalemsoft on my Playbook. It works flawlessly and all my videos play--mp4--avi--mkv no problem. Kalemsoft is $$ but well worth it. I can watch videos from anywhere I can use wifi. Download and sideload the WD apps WD Photos and WD MyCloud which also work great on the Playbook. (not sure if these apps are useful for MyBookLive.) I also use these apps on my z10. Perfect setup!
    09-23-14 10:21 PM
    Also got a 64gb PlayBook a few months ago, screen started showing green lines and nothing else(was brand new when I bought it). It was a freaking awesome tablet, I'm hoping to get it fixed but no one here in my country can actually do it, so had to switch to an ipad air.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 01:50 AM
    not having teamviewer isn't a deal breaker. I still have it on my Z10 (and my laptop). Since I dropped the big bux to actually have a license for it, I want to stay in that ecosphere (besides, it just works - I use it on average 2 - 3 times/week between family and clients) - normally I can click in on the Z10, see if it's something horrendous, and then either get on with the laptop right away, or determine it can wait. Having it on the PB isn't going to change that, but it would be nice if it did.

I did spring for Kalemsoft. It works fairly well, but WD still doesn't see it as being able to use. I can go through Kalemsoft, use Twonky, however, and that's ok. Twonky just adds jumps, where being able to log in directly would be less likely to lag. Not a biggie, though.

I do like the loudness of the speakers! I took a shower this evening, and was listening to a radio show/podcast, and could hear it well in the shower. Still have to sort through moving more music onto it... but we'll get there.

My Samsung bluetooth keyboard works well with it, as well. Did some homework tonight on it with the keyboard, just to see if I could... if I didn't need some of the software on my laptop, I'd almost leave the laptop at home... but I bet I can leave it in the car now... heheh.

I am watching the BB10 experimentation, and when I get time, I may jump in and replicate the current experiments and see how livable it is. I'd like to shake down some bloat, but I can't gripe too bad.

I did try my plug in android keyboard - it does NOT work. Which is fine. I never liked it much (I had ordered it by mistake instead of just a cover on my old no-name tablet that has since become a parts donor for wifey's identical one that blew up the battery... )
    Everyone loves the PB speakers and sound quality. Best I've heard and I've got a lot of android devices. Nexus 7 2013 comes close but no cigar.

I wouldn't mess with BB10. It will never run right on the PB.

The PB USB is not OTG. I hear it could have been, tho.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    09-24-14 09:03 AM
    09-24-14 01:25 PM
    Yes--kind of-- I have a WD MyCloud setup and use Kalemsoft on my Playbook. It works flawlessly and all my videos play--mp4--avi--mkv no problem. Kalemsoft is $$ but well worth it. I can watch videos from anywhere I can use wifi. Download and sideload the WD apps WD Photos and WD MyCloud which also work great on the Playbook. (not sure if these apps are useful for MyBookLive.) I also use these apps on my z10. Perfect setup!
    I have MyCloud on it already (one of the first things I did) and it works. Not as well as on my Z10. But that's what 3 years of development time get you.

It would take not much to actually do BB10 for a 1gb machine - Z3 - but the time/manpower involved to recode it has been already decided to take a miss by BBRY. I get that. Sadly. But if the miracle happens, I'll be happy.

My other big thing is getting 2.3 downloads to convert... I had some from my old Samsung that were downloaded onto my pc, but most are now very old. I'll get that figured out and get "fresh" android apks to work from on the few things I want.
    09-24-14 09:41 PM
    Yes, use it for its good features. I use it for movies to hotel flat screens with the HDMI out. Use your BBRY phone with bridge as the remote control. Lay back and enjoy.
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    09-25-14 09:09 AM