And seeing the mess that they are doing to Smakberry right now, i'm a lil scared, BUT, I'm definitely wrapping mine before i put it in the box. I don't know what I'll do if they tell me that my 700 dollar product has water damage. When unless some sort of condensation cause rain in my apartment, it never happened.
    07-26-11 09:33 AM
    Two suggestions...

Photograph the unit itself and the final packaging. You might want to also buy insurance on the shipment.

Good Luck.
    ericlc2 likes this.
    07-26-11 09:59 AM
    I just sent mine in yesterday - the camera is broken. I am also freaking out that they're going to tell me it was dunked in water. I think someone else posted a similar story to SmakBerry's the other day as well. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly. If not, this is going to get really ugly.
    07-26-11 10:01 AM
    Maybe you guys want to video record the actual condition your pb is in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by wishfulthinking; 07-26-11 at 10:35 AM.
    07-26-11 10:22 AM
    Ugh. Now everyone is scared to send their PB in. If you take a look at this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post6483757 it hints at her PB coming into contact with water. You may have not seen Lumute's post about re finding what they read in another thread. I don't blame you if you didn't want to read the 18 pages of posts mainly due to thread starter being a pretty girl(which is not her fault). If it is fact the true that it did come in contact with water, which seems likely, you have nothing to worry about.

End of my post...

...Start of incoming hate posts...

Edit: added "mainly" ; )
    Last edited by eKafara; 07-26-11 at 10:30 AM.
    ericlc2 and sk8er_tor like this.
    07-26-11 10:27 AM
    You can also buy some sort of temperature/moisture/shock sensor for the package. We use them when shipping sensitive instruments from our lab at work. I have no idea what the cost is, but I do know it causes the package to get some serious respect from the carrier. This was prompted when one of our packages seemed to have been dropped from a 10 story building a couple years ago, and FedEx shrugged it off...
    07-26-11 10:40 AM
    they are sending me a fedex box to ship it, so i think its already insured. I will take video of it though. It has no problems except when i plug it in it doesnt register the touches well, that has nothing to do with water, because it works flawlessly otherwise.

How dare you talk smack about smackberry? lol
    07-26-11 11:56 AM
    I as well am concerned my wifi and Bluetooth just died and mine did come into contact with Water, hot/cold condensation that was wiped off within minutes of it occuring. My RMA box is expected in the next day or so.
    07-26-11 01:10 PM
    Ugh. Now everyone is scared to send their PB in. If you take a look at this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post6483757 it hints at her PB coming into contact with water. You may have not seen Lumute's post about re finding what they read in another thread. I don't blame you if you didn't want to read the 18 pages of posts mainly due to thread starter being a pretty girl(which is not her fault). If it is fact the true that it did come in contact with water, which seems likely, you have nothing to worry about.

End of my post..

Please do everone a favour and explain how a bit of water on the outside of a case will damage a device when there wasn't even so much as a drop on the playbook itself yet it equals "excessive water damage"?
    Huh?!?!

To the OP, do what others have said and take whatever precautions you can including putting silica packs in the box

Thank you that's all I have to say.

Last edited by SmakBerry; 07-26-11 at 01:33 PM.
    AugustArborists likes this.
    07-26-11 01:29 PM
    You can also buy some sort of temperature/moisture/shock sensor for the package. We use them when shipping sensitive instruments from our lab at work. I have no idea what the cost is, but I do know it causes the package to get some serious respect from the carrier. This was prompted when one of our packages seemed to have been dropped from a 10 story building a couple years ago, and FedEx shrugged it off...
    But how do you get the sensor back?
    Could I get my sensor back?
    What sensor?
    07-26-11 01:36 PM
    Please do everone a favour and explain how a bit of water on the outside of a case will damage a device when there wasn't even so much as a drop on the playbook itself yet it equals "excessive water damage"?
    Huh?!?!

To the OP, do what others have said and take whatever precautions you can including putting silica packs in the box

Thank you that's all I have to say.

Smakberry: Do not bother to answer nonsensical speculation
    07-26-11 01:36 PM
    Yeah the whole thing is suspect because my playbook has already survived condensation, rain , splashes from the sink as I wash my face...drops and I am here typing on it on Crackberry. You would have to actually go out of your way to cause internal water damage or do something really accidental like drop it in the sink...I have no skin and no case....

by now I've forgotten the original reason she sent it in, which worries me more than water damage...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-26-11 at 01:42 PM.
    07-26-11 01:39 PM
    No, you don't come here and try to bs everyone into putting this blame on me.
    Ive had phones, including my torch come in actual contact with water and not so much as the sensors tripped. If you think that a little bit on the outside of a case is enough to cause water damage to the device which didn't touch, you have to give your head a shake.
    Seriously, if you have nothing factual to add here, stop trying to damage my name

07-26-11 01:42 PM

End of my post...

Did you miss the part that says "Happy to say no water got on the pb itself"?

I HATE spin, I really HATE "spin" (based on nothing but conjecture and opinion) and "suggestive" implied testimony, especially in the "news".

It is insulting to EVERYONE, especially her, to suggest the support was based solely on her being a pretty girl and not because she has a history of supporting playbook and generally being a classy nice person unlike yourself. She is the last person to deserve this foul treatment from RIM, since she has been one of their biggest fans and promoters.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-26-11 at 01:53 PM.
    kstock likes this.
    07-26-11 01:46 PM
    Please close this thread before users start namecalling each other
    howarmat likes this.
    07-26-11 01:49 PM
    You can also buy some sort of temperature/moisture/shock sensor for the package.
    Does anyone know where one could pick up theses shock sensors, I need the for something else?

Thanks,
    Rob
    07-26-11 01:50 PM
    I don't agree with how everyone is trying to paint RIM as an evil company with this. You don't know what happened to someone's PlayBook. Maybe someone was playing with her PB and got water on it and did not tell her. Maybe the water she spilt onto her PlayBook was more than she thought. After all, the post does say that the case of the PB was wet. I'm not laying blame on anyone but I think people need to be objective.

That said, one can't be too careful when sending a product back to the manufacturer. Sure, take pictures, videos, etc. Boxes are usually thrown onto trucks by carriers so damage can happen in transit. This is not RIM's fault!

EDIT:
    Part of me thinks that even if there's water damage (whether caused by the user or not), they should still fix/replace it because that's what the competition does.
    Last edited by sk8er_tor; 07-26-11 at 02:04 PM.
    07-26-11 01:53 PM
    I haven't used any of their products myself, but drypak.com sells all kinds of moisture, temperature, and shock sensors for shipping. Photograph the packaging with the sensors in place, so that if someone claims they weren't there you have proof. (or better, videotape the entire packaging process.)
    07-26-11 02:08 PM
    I don't agree with how everyone is trying to paint RIM as an evil company with this. You don't know what happened to someone's PlayBook. Maybe someone was playing with her PB and got water on it and did not tell her. Maybe the water she spilt onto her PlayBook was more than she thought. After all, the post does say that the case of the PB was wet. I'm not laying blame on anyone but I think people need to be objective.

That said, one can't be too careful when sending a product back to the manufacturer. Sure, take pictures, videos, etc. Boxes are usually thrown onto trucks by carriers so damage can happen in transit. This is not RIM's fault!

EDIT:
    Part of me thinks that even if there's water damage (whether caused by the user or not), they should still fix/replace it because that's what the competition does.
    I am a defender of RIM but that is ridiculous. If RIM had any scruples they would simply send her REPAIRED unit back and not question her integrity, which makes RIM an evil company, well at least the repair department.

You can't take just someone at their word these days? Really, close the thread and give the poor girl a break.

She doesn't deserve this after posting simply to save everyone else some grief. I am sure she is stressed enough over it and doesn't need to be sitting here defending herself all day. Why do you think she requested the other thread to be closed?
    07-26-11 03:15 PM
    fill the box with rice, or another water absorbing agent.. just nothing powdery.. dont wont rim thinking were anthraxing them!
    07-26-11 03:32 PM
    If RIM provides shipping instructions, which I believe they do, then I would be hesitant to wrap the PlayBook in anything or add anything to the box (aside from perhaps a silica packet, or moisture indicator). Follow the shipping instructions exactly, otherwise, if it is damaged in shipment they *may* claim that it was because you didn't follow the instructions provided. (Moisture *could* form inside the plastic bag due to the changing temperatures and air pressures of transport - unless it is completely vacuum sealed.)
    07-26-11 03:46 PM
    BlackJack,
    As I said, whether the damage was done by the user or not, I think they should replace it because that's what the competition is doing, particularly Apple. RIM can't afford to have any unsatisfied customers. It costs more than the price of a PlayBook to keep a good customer.
    07-26-11 03:52 PM
    BlackJack,
    As I said, whether the damage was done by the user or not, I think they should replace it because that's what the competition is doing, particularly Apple. RIM can't afford to have any unsatisfied customers. It costs more than the price of a PlayBook to keep a good customer.
    Agreed, which is why they ARE at least an evil DIVISION, but not company so I think we can find common ground there.
    07-26-11 03:56 PM
    Agreed. That's what I'm trying to get at. It may have looked like a few drops once everything was said and done but could have been a whole lot of water. Or may have only been a few drops. I'm not trying to slander someone CrackBerry name. And you have to admit the thread is just a little more popular then your usual thread. It's almost reach PlayBook update tread numbers a lot of the people there are in there because she is a big RIM supporter and well known around here, but a lot of them are there for the reasons I stated. I don't agree how the situation has been handled by them. Who knows maybe they did damage it. But they shouldn't have said anything. They should have sent back a new unit with a little message inside saying the other one was damaged beyond repair but they decided to send a new unit. Apple does have it right on a lot of thing and their customer service is one of them. RIM needs to do the same.

07-26-11 04:19 PM
    If it is fact the true that it did come in contact with water, which seems likely, you have nothing to worry about.
    I am not certain if the standard warranty covers water damage but the extended warranty covers water damage, broken screens, and a variety of non-standard conditions affecting the BlackBerry PlayBook. I hope to never need that extended warranty coverage but I bought it as soon as it was available in Canada for the peace of mind.
    07-27-11 08:12 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD