This is a stupid quesiton, right?

Using the nice microfiber cloth included with the BB, I cannot find a way to clean the entire screen without turning it on via the PB recognizing something I'm doing as a wipe gesture.

So... anyone had luck cleaning the screen with the device off, and having it *stay* off for the duration?
    04-20-11 02:13 PM
    I guess clean it only when you turn it off completely?
    04-20-11 02:15 PM
    I rub it on mah belly with a t-shirt on lol, the classic always works best.
    travaz likes this.
    04-20-11 02:20 PM
    Ran across this issue as well. Found using a circular motion prevents the PB from waking up.
    04-20-11 02:21 PM
    yea im with that guy. circular motions
    04-20-11 02:24 PM
    I'm guessing this "gesture control for wake-up" will also cause problems when people start putting it inside coat pockets, pants pockets, etc. Sooner or later, there will be enough contact with a source that'll register on the capacitive screen and/or bezel to wake it up.
    04-20-11 02:24 PM
    This is a stupid quesiton, right?

Using the nice microfiber cloth included with the BB, I cannot find a way to clean the entire screen without turning it on via the PB recognizing something I'm doing as a wipe gesture.

So... anyone had luck cleaning the screen with the device off, and having it *stay* off for the duration?
    Yes i used a real microfiber towel and had no issues. then i washed my hands to not ruin my work and swiped to wake it up!
    04-20-11 02:26 PM
    I'm guessing this "gesture control for wake-up" will also cause problems when people start putting it inside coat pockets, pants pockets, etc. Sooner or later, there will be enough contact with a source that'll register on the capacitive screen and/or bezel to wake it up.
    def a possibility. so far havn't had this problem, you have to be very deliberate with the wake up gesture. it wont be an issue for people that put it back in its sleeve or case before putting it in thier pocket
    04-20-11 02:31 PM
    I just make sure the cleaning motion I am using does not match any gestures that the BB recognises - little circles work well. Also I make sure if I do a longer stroke, it does not go bezel to bezel in either direction. Got about a 90% success rate at cleaning the screen and the BB staying in standby.

Incidentally, what are peoples views and experiences with screen protectors? The glass on this device is really nice, and I dont want to damage it, but I also dont want to ruin the experience with a screen protector that is not up to the job..
    04-20-11 02:34 PM
    Same observation last night. Surely there will be a lock screen function in the near future to lock out mistaken gestures on the screen. I even searched for a lock feature but could not find one so far.
    04-20-11 02:35 PM
    Same observation last night. Surely there will be a lock screen function in the near future to lock out mistaken gestures on the screen. I even searched for a lock feature but could not find one so far.
    I set mine to have a password to access it if not used for 30 minutes. This basically has the same effect as a lock screen, for now.
    04-20-11 02:38 PM
    I just make sure the cleaning motion I am using does not match any gestures that the BB recognises - little circles work well. Also I make sure if I do a longer stroke, it does not go bezel to bezel in either direction. Got about a 90% success rate at cleaning the screen and the BB staying in standby.

Incidentally, what are peoples views and experiences with screen protectors? The glass on this device is really nice, and I dont want to damage it, but I also dont want to ruin the experience with a screen protector that is not up to the job..
    I got the invisible shield by Zagg at Best Buy....its great... no worries cause they replace it free for life if anything happens to it. 24 bucks though...ouch
    04-20-11 02:39 PM
    I bought a screen protector. and have no problems. still looks nice and i actually prefer the texture on the protector to the glass. As long as you use the scotch tape + credit card method of putting on the screen protector and ensure that there are 0 bubbles or specks of dirt under it I see no reason not to use it
    04-20-11 02:40 PM
    It's pretty easy to wipe without turning it on.....but if it turns on, so what?? Just keep wiping.
    04-20-11 02:41 PM
    What happens when you set up a password.

Can't check right now, copying music.
    04-20-11 02:42 PM
    def a possibility. so far havn't had this problem, you have to be very deliberate with the wake up gesture. it wont be an issue for people that put it back in its sleeve or case before putting it in thier pocket
    Have you ever tried to pull something wrapped in neoprene out of your pocket (if you're not wearing super loose clothes)? It's goes something like: Ya, hang on a sec........ wait..... almost.... damn it..... I got it now... nope... COME ON!..... MOTHER B!..... there we go.... damn it.
    04-20-11 02:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD