Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
Like Tree70Likes
  1. canuck_67's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    754 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Last night at the hockey game I was asked no less then 6 times where I was able to get that iPad mini. I. Was doing my usual blog /article on the game, and what is more humorous is that I sit next to this group every freaking single game. I am always using my playbook to do my work. It has never been a topic of conversation before.

    BTW, everyone loved it. The apple dudes were even cool about it. I am kind of a bit jealous of the Apple infrastructure, but I love the rim hardware.

    I set my playbook on an iPad, hoping maybe a hibred would result.

    I am waiting for a month to see if a playpad shows up .
    Last edited by canuck_67; 10-28-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Grammer. Lol
    Torch 9800 Black Z10. playbook 16gb playbook 64gb torch 9800 White Z10(2nd) PlayBook 16GB. (3rd)
  2. thecsman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    653 Posts
    #2  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    I got a person who I sold a 16GB PB to instruct his little ones to call the PlayBook a PlayBook and not an ipad
    Ben1232 and bitek like this.
  3. cleveland216's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    PIN
    classified
    #3  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    First it was "Is that a Kindle Fire?" and now it's "Is that an iPad mini?"
    dentynefire likes this.
  4. goku_vegeta's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,792 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,838 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B1173CD
    #4  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Say "Why yes it is" and tell them they are sold at Best Buy and Futureshop with the codename "BlackBerry PlayBook"
  5. Marty_LK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    914 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland216 View Post
    First it was "Is that a Kindle Fire?" and now it's "Is that an iPad mini?"
    I find it incredibly discouraging that such tech-less products as the Kindle Fire and iPad Mini are highly desired and sought after. I'm a tech-head and love the latest gadgets filled to overflowing with cutting edge technology and when the products that don't have cutting edge technology sell well, it distresses me that tech companies might back off of high tech.

    The Kindle Fire can barely be called anything like a tablet. It doesn't even have haptic or GPS. And the iPad Mini is using ancient hardware.
    Bobert_123 and eddy_berry like this.
  6. oilgeo10's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    484 Posts
    #6  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    With the great new features of BB Bridge, I have switched from using the phone over to the PB for my digital boarding passes (via SMS). The airport security & airline gate people almost always take a 2nd look when I hand over the PB with a larger boarding pass displayed, to be scanned. And because I have it in the case with the mini keyboard and have previously answered 'no' to the "do you have a laptop?" question, some of them look at it a bit closer, wondering what it is. I would say that over 50% of the time they are surprised to hear that it is a BlackBerry tablet. I tell them to check the PB's out at the iStore, which is the name of the electronics shop that is inside most departure gate areas in Canadian airports. Though the name for the store is almost certainly intentional to make people think of Apple, there are all brands in there and always a couple of PB's on demo display.
    00stryder likes this.
  7. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,458 Posts
    Global Posts
    26,615 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default RE: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_LK View Post
    I find it incredibly discouraging that such tech-less products as the Kindle Fire and iPad Mini are highly desired and sought after. I'm a tech-head and love the latest gadgets filled to overflowing with cutting edge technology and when the products that don't have cutting edge technology sell well, it distresses me that tech companies might back off of high tech.

    The Kindle Fire can barely be called anything like a tablet. It doesn't even have haptic or GPS. And the iPad Mini is using ancient hardware.
    Only tech-heads care about specs. Average consumers want apps.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Thanked by:
    Bla1ze (10-28-2012) 
    Bla1ze, Umedon, bp3dots and 8 others like this.
  8. bambinoitaliano's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    22,963 Posts
    #8  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    No one says MacDonald food are nutritious yet millions eat them everyday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_LK View Post
    I find it incredibly discouraging that such tech-less products as the Kindle Fire and iPad Mini are highly desired and sought after. I'm a tech-head and love the latest gadgets filled to overflowing with cutting edge technology and when the products that don't have cutting edge technology sell well, it distresses me that tech companies might back off of high tech.

    The Kindle Fire can barely be called anything like a tablet. It doesn't even have haptic or GPS. And the iPad Mini is using ancient hardware.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_67 View Post
    Last night at the hockey game I was asked no less then 6 times where I was able to get that iPad mini. I. Was doing my usual blog /article on the game, and what is more humorous is that I sit next to this group every freaking single game. I am always using my playbook to do my work. It has never been a topic of conversation before.

    BTW, everyone loved it. The apple dudes were even cool about it. I am kind of a bit jealous of the Apple infrastructure, but I love the rim hardware.

    I set my playbook on an iPad, hoping maybe a hibred would result.

    I am waiting for a month to see if a playpad shows up .

    Last edited by canuck_67; Today at 10:53 AM. Reason: Grammer. Lol
    Now you can edit for spelling! (sorry, couldn't resist)
  10. Marty_LK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    914 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Only tech-heads care about specs. Average consumers want apps.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Then you are saying those who buy iPhones and iPads are average consumers? What does that make the 20+ million consumers who bought a Galaxy S3?
    eddy_berry likes this.
  11. mud314's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    PIN
    Friends Only. I need friends :(.
    #11  

    Default And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    I would tell yes and that it was a present but it is so bad you are taking it back.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
  12. jelp2's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    563 Posts
    #12  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_LK View Post
    I find it incredibly discouraging that such tech-less products as the Kindle Fire and iPad Mini are highly desired and sought after. I'm a tech-head and love the latest gadgets filled to overflowing with cutting edge technology and when the products that don't have cutting edge technology sell well, it distresses me that tech companies might back off of high tech.

    The Kindle Fire can barely be called anything like a tablet. It doesn't even have haptic or GPS. And the iPad Mini is using ancient hardware.
    True, but they are household names due to marketing. You not going to know about something that's not brought to your attention.
  13. cleacy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    128 Posts
    #13  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Appearance isn't everything. What happens if you convince someone to purchase a playbook instead of an ipad mini "because they look the same" when they get home and they're trying to install Skype or Netflix?
  14. emailthisaddress's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    380 Posts
    PIN
    Safety
    #14  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by goku_vegeta View Post
    Say "Why yes it is" and tell them they are sold at Best Buy and Futureshop with the codename "BlackBerry PlayBook"
    That's funny. I usually tell them yes, but I bought it refurbished. They had to replace the name.
    Berzons likes this.
  15. Laura Knotek's Avatar
    CrackBerry Geek

    Posts
    11,458 Posts
    Global Posts
    26,615 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_LK View Post
    Then you are saying those who buy iPhones and iPads are average consumers? What does that make the 20+ million consumers who bought a Galaxy S3?
    Do you really think those folks would have purchased those devices if the popular apps were unavailable?

    Yes, I would consider iPhone and SG3 owners to be "average consumers" of smartphones. Early adopters (who tend to be tech-heads) might not care if popular apps are not available yet, but the average consumer wants whatever apps happen to be popular.
  16. Marty_LK's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    914 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Do you really think those folks would have purchased those devices if the popular apps were unavailable?

    Yes, I would consider iPhone and SG3 owners to be "average consumers" of smartphones. Early adopters (who tend to be tech-heads) might not care if popular apps are not available yet, but the average consumer wants whatever apps happen to be popular.
    But those apps are available on the Apple products. Yet they still went for the high-tech Galaxy S3.
  17. Chrysalis1156's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,261 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,302 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelp2 View Post
    True, but they are household names due to marketing. You not going to know about something that's not brought to your attention.
    And that's the sad part about it. Personally I knew about the Playbook because I've been a Crackberryhead since 2009 and heard about it in here. I think I saw maybe 2 Playbook commercials when they first came out. RIM did a very poor job of marketing the Playbook.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
  18. Sriman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis1156 View Post
    And that's the sad part about it. Personally I knew about the Playbook because I've been a Crackberryhead since 2009 and heard about it in here. I think I saw maybe 2 Playbook commercials when they first came out. RIM did a very poor job of marketing the Playbook.
    Agree... RIM could have done more with marketing the PB. Hope they do good with BB 10...
    Thanks,
    Sriman
    Meeting Minutes Pro - Become a Pro at attending, organizing, tracking, manging and distributing meetings
    Meeting Minutes - A 3 day trial version of Meeting Minutes Pro
    www.srimanapps.com
  19. axeman1000's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    813 Posts
    #19  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by cleacy View Post
    Appearance isn't everything. What happens if you convince someone to purchase a playbook instead of an ipad mini "because they look the same" when they get home and they're trying to install Skype or Netflix?
    They will realize the playbook is way much better and not care about declining netflix and soon to be microsoft skype!!!! Take the blinders off man there is more to the world than a couple of apps!!!!
  20. Apelles123's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Only tech-heads care about specs. Average consumers want apps.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    ordinary users may not understand specs but the understand performance and get frustrated with mediocre hardware . This is where the PB shines, the KF is a hollow shell and the forthcoming iPad Mini has antique hardware with legions of zombie apps
  21. thecsman's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    653 Posts
    #21  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Only tech-heads care about specs. Average consumers want apps.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

    Wrong. Average consumers follow what's popular and on demand. This is called consumerist hype. Also, female consumers care about it just the same as about having a nice bag to display while walking on the street. No more, no less.

    Apps? Yeah, maybe a small percentage. I do not think more than 20% of average consumers are using Skype.
  22. cleveland216's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    380 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    PIN
    classified
    #22  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    I live in a world where I don't care who knows I have a Blackberry tablet. I'm very happy knowing I have Bridge, Flash, SMS over Bridge, and a couple other things I can do with the Playbook. I don't argue anymore, nor do I correct those that think my tablet is a Kindle or (now) an iPad mini. I don't say anything. I just come home and tell my wife about the encounter, then brag to her about how many people I responded to on SMS with my Playbook that day
    john_v and cutexoxo like this.
  23. joshua_sx1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,659 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,662 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    What really matters is the "usefulness" of the device... iPad or iPhone still emerging because people find them "useful", while latest Android devices races with specs - and this attract croud... but sooner, if Apple will not race with the specs, they will find themselves at the second rank place because everyday, Android devices are catching up with the "usefulness" criteria... the "gap" is getting smaller...

    That is why I believe that RIM should race with these two criteria i.e."usefulness" and "specs" if they still want to be relevant and competitive...
  24. Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes's Avatar
    Waterloo's Finest

    Posts
    5,295 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thecsman View Post
    Wrong. Average consumers follow what's popular and on demand. This is called consumerist hype. Also, female consumers care about it just the same as about having a nice bag to display while walking on the street. No more, no less.

    Apps? Yeah, maybe a small percentage. I do not think more than 20% of average consumers are using Skype.
    +1. Most females are clueless when it comes to this stuff, yet they want to discard their archiac iphone 4s at the first chance as to not look like they have the spring 2012 prada collection on. No more than a fashion accesory.
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

    CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

    C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
  25. hurds's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,377 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,380 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default Re: And so it begins. Is that an iPad mini?

    Too funny the tech-heads who think its all about apps. Go talk to the average user. They will say apps are important but they barely use them. Great marketing campaign by apple. RIM is poised to win the app game anyways. They've made it so when you are developing for Android, ios or HTML5 you are still developing for BB. Pretty genius. Kinda funny how Apple was pushing HTML5 and RIM has now taken the torch (or I guess they acquired the torch and made the flame burn brighter). ipad mini is running an ancient operating system that isn't scalable and is on its last legs. Great third party software, but its all portable to BB10. Innovate or die, and right now apples not able to innovate. Combination of being to big, stagnant and fat and happy, plus I seriously don't think they have the minds to do it. Jobs is gone and even in the recent past when he was there they didnt come out with anything groud breaking or new. Just borrowed concepts, minor upgrades and speck bumps. Seriously. 3.5", 9.7", 4.0", 7.9", and some how the user experience on 7" isn't good, yet they now have Phones and Ipods on the same operating system less then 7". Baffles my mind. They need and will take a hit, and I just hope they get back to their roots and comeout with some truely unique stuff. Big problem here is theres no more steve jobs, and if you'll ask any apple fan, hes the only way you can ever turn around a company.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 5 Thing I do when people ask me "Is that an iPad thingy?"
    By seb.hebert in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
  2. Hey, is that an Essex?
    By berryaddictnoza in forum BlackBerry Bold 9650
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
  3. Is that an app that shows current weather??
    By markandwendy2005 in forum Apple iPhone/iPad
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 01:31 PM
  4. Is that an app shown on Blackberry.com?
    By gratefull dad in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2009, 09:13 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions