Hello Guy's and Girl's,
    I'm not sure if this has been talked about and covered yet, so, I'll just go for it.

Does anybody actually have any information or news on the Playbooks 3D feature we have seen demoed on youtube etc?

Obv' the playbook doesn't feature a 3D Screen like the Nintendo 3Ds or the LG Optimus Smart Phone, so how will it work? Will it play video at 60 FPS with some form of codec? (I know nothing of 3D tech and how it works) and allow us to use the 3D shades to view the 3D films / games etc? What is the deal with the feature as i'm a little lost with it to be honest, and was it just a gimmick or will we one day (soon hopefully) actually see the 3D stuff brought forward and loaded onto our playbooks? It's a feature not many people care for, me myself, do sort of. I think it would add that one more "one up" on the other tablets and to be honest, i do enjoy watching things in 3D, it's cool. Shame we couldn't film in 3D Too ey?

Thanks to whom ever replies with something cool and/or useful

Hughes.
    07-26-11 04:23 PM
    Hello Guy's and Girl's,
    I'm not sure if this has been talked about and covered yet, so, I'll just go for it.

Does anybody actually have any information or news on the Playbooks 3D feature we have seen demoed on youtube etc?

Obv' the playbook doesn't feature a 3D Screen like the Nintendo 3Ds or the LG Optimus Smart Phone, so how will it work? Will it play video at 60 FPS with some form of codec? (I know nothing of 3D tech and how it works) and allow us to use the 3D shades to view the 3D films / games etc? What is the deal with the feature as i'm a little lost with it to be honest, and was it just a gimmick or will we one day (soon hopefully) actually see the 3D stuff brought forward and loaded onto our playbooks? It's a feature not many people care for, me myself, do sort of. I think it would add that one more "one up" on the other tablets and to be honest, i do enjoy watching things in 3D, it's cool. Shame we couldn't film in 3D Too ey?

Hughes.
    I think it was just a proof-of-concept by the guys at TAT to show the power of the Playbook. To output 3D onto a 1080p display takes a lot of horsepower. This would not work on the display of the playbook because it`s not a 3D-capable display.
    hughes662 likes this.
    07-26-11 04:30 PM
    3D? **** Rim can't even get spell check on the damn thing!
    LuayS and WALLIEDIRT like this.
    07-26-11 04:34 PM
    Oh right okay, thanks for that information.

So there would be no way of them manipulating the system or screen output?

How can I explain what I'm trying to say? Umm..

Basically, you know those pictures on the net that move in 2 frames really quick and give off the impression of 3D? Would something like that, like say filters on a video not allow the same effect?

You would also be required to wear 3D glasses.

As the cinema doesn't have 3D screens, they have projectors projecting an image, surly it's just some sort of filter? (I also wish to add, i could be waaaaay wrong... if i am, please say so, i'm learning )

So say, video A is a normal video.

video B is the same footage, but (maybe also filmed with a 3D Cam) has a filter on the video, so when you wear the shades, you see the images in 3D?

Or do you actually 100% HAVE TO have a 3D screen?

The reason i ask is, because they had 3D Video playing...?
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-26-11 04:36 PM
    It also requires interlaced 1080p right eye/left eye alternating for each line @ 30 fps per eye, which I don't understand quite how they accomplished with PB - an external converter perhaps? Not sure how PB could achieve this internally unless there is something hidden in there to interlace the frames.....
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-26-11 04:50 PM
    It also requires interlaced 1080p right eye/left eye alternating for each line @ 30 fps per eye, which I don't understand quite how they accomplished with PB - an external converter perhaps? Not sure how PB could achieve this internally unless there is something hidden in there to interlace the frames.....

This was my main concern, how did they do it in the demo? I was wondering, is this a gimmick? False advertising of it's power? Or... Does the Playbook have a hidden talent?
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-26-11 04:54 PM
    This was my main concern, how did they do it in the demo? I was wondering, is this a gimmick? False advertising of it's power? Or... Does the Playbook have a hidden talent?
    Got me - always wondered the same thing - I guess we sit here and wait for an answer....
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-26-11 04:55 PM
    Got me - always wondered the same thing - I guess we sit here and wait for an answer....

Unless somebody comes along in this thread with some new information, i'm stumped.

I found this on google, and it's the same story everywhere.

a stereoscopic 3D demo by The Astonishing Tribe. As far as EAT can tell, the 3D capability of the seven inch Playbook is limited to HDMI output, although details are a little unclear
    07-26-11 04:57 PM
    I think it was just a proof-of-concept by the guys at TAT to show the power of the Playbook. To output 3D onto a 1080p display takes a lot of horsepower. This would not work on the display of the playbook because it`s not a 3D-capable display.
    Correct it would never work on the playbook display of course because the pixels are not polarized.

But it doesn't take any more "horsepower" since the normal 60 fps HDMI out is used, only shared between left eye/right eye to reduce the perceived frame rate to 30 fps. It might be achieved by a driver feeding the internal HDMI transmitter the specifics of which RIM has only shared with TAT. There must be a driver for it, unavailable to others for now.....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-26-11 at 05:09 PM.
    07-26-11 04:58 PM
    Oh right okay, thanks for that information.

So there would be no way of them manipulating the system or screen output?

How can I explain what I'm trying to say? Umm..

Basically, you know those pictures on the net that move in 2 frames really quick and give off the impression of 3D? Would something like that, like say filters on a video not allow the same effect?

You would also be required to wear 3D glasses.

As the cinema doesn't have 3D screens, they have projectors projecting an image, surly it's just some sort of filter? (I also wish to add, i could be waaaaay wrong... if i am, please say so, i'm learning )

So say, video A is a normal video.

video B is the same footage, but (maybe also filmed with a 3D Cam) has a filter on the video, so when you wear the shades, you see the images in 3D?

Or do you actually 100% HAVE TO have a 3D screen?

The reason i ask is, because they had 3D Video playing...?
    Each line in the display has polarizing filters that are polarized (oriented at different angles so that only one eye can see that line) - with 3D glasses, the right eye sees the odd lines, the left eye sees the even lines as they progress down the monitor.

So it's a matter of shuffling the right eye and left eye frame data (imagine a deck of cards being shuffled) and displaying the line for each eye in an alternating manner as the image progresses down the monitor, the data can be transmitted in the same way as normal 1080p video, the data is just formatted differently in the way the display expects it or interpreted differently on the display end.... 2d displays expect it one way, 3d another - so all I can think is that there is a hidden mechanism inside the PB for reformatting the output stream...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-26-11 at 05:12 PM.
    07-26-11 05:05 PM
    After seeing the evo 3D, 3D tv's, the gameboy thingy 3D mabob, and other 3D things i've come under on conclusion. 3D in all its amazement is trash and should never have left the theatre, or rather curled up in a ball and died. Who ever thought the concept of 3D is a good idea to put in the home or on a portable device is a ****. Anyways its just a concept as to what the playbook could do and i hope that never comes to light of day other then the teaser we saw pre playbook.
    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    07-26-11 05:13 PM
    I suppose in theory you could make some Bluetooth active shutter glasses. I don't know if there would be too much latency for this to be feasible. The other issue being the max refresh rate of the PB display.
    07-26-11 05:26 PM
    OK everyone, before we start flaming RIM for "false advertising" and jumping to conclusions etc etc, I want you all to watch the video that sparked the OPs comment:

Please take note that they are showing 3D from the HDMI output, NOT on the screen of the playbook and that the Playbook screen is in fact blank while this visualization is being displayed on the screen connected to the HDMI port.

This feature is likely one that needs to be embraced by App developers as opposed to RIM and will likely be included (one would think since they showed it off) in the Native SDK when it comes out.
    bquinney likes this.
    07-26-11 06:15 PM
    OK everyone, before we start flaming RIM for "false advertising" and jumping to conclusions etc etc, I want you all to watch the video that sparked the OPs comment:

Please take note that they are showing 3D from the HDMI output, NOT on the screen of the playbook and that the Playbook screen is in fact blank while this visualization is being displayed on the screen connected to the HDMI port.

This feature is likely one that needs to be embraced by App developers as opposed to RIM and will likely be included (one would think since they showed it off) in the Native SDK when it comes out.
    What worries me is that it might raise the bar for developers - people will start to expect it and ask "why isn't it in 3D"? More delays in app development...
    07-26-11 06:32 PM
    What worries me is that it might raise the bar for developers - people will start to expect it and ask "why isn't it in 3D"? More delays in app development...
    Yeah, we shall see. I feel like there is such a limited market though, not everyone has 3D tvs to begin with, and if you're already sitting in your living room with your PlayBook hooked up to HDMI for 3D you might as well just stick with a regular console :/
    07-26-11 06:53 PM
    Bah, 3D makes no difference for one eye'd peoples.
    Scooter625 likes this.
    07-26-11 07:48 PM
    i got a nintendo 3DS the day after its realese. i also have a 50"3D tv at home thatni play my video games on. but ya the tech is not there on the PB as it stands. it can be used as a 3D player and watch it on a 3D tv.
    07-26-11 08:37 PM
    How cool would it be if the PB had the ability to sync up with blue ray 3D glasses and display 3D content in 1080p. Asside from airplane regulations, it would be neat to watch a 3D movie on plane rides.

I think it will be a a required feature on next gen devices along with two cameras for taking 3D photos and video. Waiting for my new toys to arrive, PN64D8000 Samsung 3D Plasma TV and PS3. I even ordered a micro hdmi cable to hook the PB up. Can't wait.
    07-27-11 12:34 AM
    After seeing the evo 3D, 3D tv's, the gameboy thingy 3D mabob, and other 3D things i've come under on conclusion. 3D in all its amazement is trash and should never have left the theatre, or rather curled up in a ball and died. Who ever thought the concept of 3D is a good idea to put in the home or on a portable device is a ****. Anyways its just a concept as to what the playbook could do and i hope that never comes to light of day other then the teaser we saw pre playbook.
    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    And the 3d in homes isn't even the 3d that everyone thought it would be. The images are pushed back in the screen and they do not come out of the screen like a theatre 3d movie would be.
    07-27-11 08:24 AM
    I think it would be cool if you could buy 3D glasses that work via bluetooth, and the PlayBook puts out 60 FPS 1080p, with every other frame being for each eye, and syncs the glasses via Bluetooth... so ANY TV that supports 1080p 60 FPS could show 30 FPS 3D from the PlayBook. But then again, the PlayBook itself if synced to 3D glasses COULD show 30 FPS 3D. Why the heck not (well, any sufficiently-powerful tablet with Bluetooth could do it... but perhaps 30 FPS would cause too many strokes / seizures.)

COOL.

The images are pushed back in the screen and they do not come out of the screen like a theatre 3d movie would be.
    The image will look like its in front of the screen so long as the objects are not too close to the edges of the screen: whether or not the object appears to be at screen depth, further than the screen or closer than the screen depends on the angle of each eye relative to "perpendicular". If your eyes are 100% parallel to each other, that's infinite distance. Your eyes can be angled toward each other so that their "paths" intersect beyond the screen distance, at the screen distance, or in front of the screen distance (note that the FOCUS point of your lenses is ALWAYS at the screen distance, but the angle of the eyes will vary... this disconnect from real life, where the lens focus vs. eyes' angles from one another causes the headaches some people experience... as well as keeping the FOCUS of your eyes completely static for a long time)
    Last edited by lorax1284; 07-27-11 at 11:17 AM.
    07-27-11 11:10 AM
    OMAP4430 can only do 720p 3D.
    07-27-11 12:21 PM
    OMAP4430 can only do 720p 3D.
    Good enough! If it's in 3D not too many people would notice or care...except for PopEye up there...
    07-27-11 01:48 PM
    I have my playbook 3D (3Disappointments)

1)No email
    2)No apps
    3)No android

Perhaps in summer...
    07-27-11 03:45 PM
    Bah! 3D is so 2011. RIM should have made the PB with a holographic display...

Last edited by TheScionicMan; 07-28-11 at 02:45 PM.
    07-28-11 02:43 PM
    Hello Guy's and Girl's,

Shame we couldn't film in 3D Too ey?

Hughes.
    You could film in 3D - just get two playbooks
    07-28-11 04:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD