Hey guys, been playing around with OS 2.0 for a while and discovered a neat trick with folders. If you swipe from the folder name to the left or right it'll close the folder! Not sure if this was posted before but it's a nicer way to close 'em than the 'x'
    03-06-12 12:31 PM
    I did not know this. I'll have to check it out later
    fearlessfurby likes this.
    03-06-12 12:39 PM
    You can also close them using the Android player's back gesture. I generally do it by swiping across the lower-left corner, from bottom bezel to left bezel. But anything up and to the left at under 45 degrees works.
    03-06-12 01:01 PM
    Nice find.
    03-06-12 01:01 PM
    Didn't work for me. Maybe because my folders are in the main dock?
    03-06-12 01:08 PM
    rmah, it should work even then. I just tried with one in the dock.

That makes quite a handful of ways to close folders:

1. tap X on left
    2. tap where X would be on right
    3. swipe left in area between X and title
    4. swipe right in area between title and missing right X
    5. swipe from bottom bezel up at less than 45 degrees towards left bezel
    6. swipe from bottom bezel up at less than 45 degrees towards right bezel
    7. swipe either way sideways along bottom bezel

Note that the last two appear simply to be triggering the #7 behaviour, as you don't actually need to reach either bezel for this to work, nor even enter the screen area.

Also for those who didn't know, tap/hold on the title while open enters edit mode and pops up a dialog to let you rename the folder. You can get there as well if you've entered edit mode (press and hold on any icon until they all start "pulsing") and then simply tap on the title without holding it.
    03-06-12 03:11 PM
    Not that it matters much, but I don't think it's the swipe that closes the folder. You'll notice that you don't actually have to tap on the X to close a folder, a half inch to the right of the X will do it. When you're swiping, I think you're just reaching this area. If you swipe left and don't reach this area, the folder won't close.
    03-06-12 03:26 PM
    It has nothing to do with the X. If you start at the lower right of the screen and do a diagonal swipe up and to the right the folder also closes. You can swipe almost horizontally and get nowhere near the top of the folder and it still closes.
    RicThot likes this.
    03-06-12 03:35 PM
    Not that it matters much, but I don't think it's the swipe that closes the folder. You'll notice that you don't actually have to tap on the X to close a folder, a half inch to the right of the X will do it. When you're swiping, I think you're just reaching this area. If you swipe left and don't reach this area, the folder won't close.
    This is incorrect, it appears the swipe is totally unrelated to the X. You can swipe from the name to the right, coming nowhere near the X, and it works.

However, you do have to swipe pretty far, almost to the edge of the screen.
    03-06-12 04:03 PM
    This is incorrect, it appears the swipe is totally unrelated to the X. You can swipe from the name to the right, coming nowhere near the X, and it works.

However, you do have to swipe pretty far, almost to the edge of the screen.
    As was noted earlier, you can close the folder just by tapping on the right side where an X might be if it were located to the right. There is no need to swipe. When you swipe to the right, you're just hitting that spot, same as hitting near the actual X when you swipe to the left. Try swiping without getting near the "hot" spot to the right. The folder won't close. Then just tap to the right, and the folder will close. I'm just saying, it's not the swipe that's doing it, it's hitting the hot spot.
    03-06-12 04:42 PM
    This is not true...you can close folders without being anywhere near the spot where the X is, as I pointed out earlier. In fact, put your playbook in portrait mode and try it. You can close a folder and not get any more than 1/2" or so from the bottom bezel...miles away from the spot where a supposed X might be.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheStanger; 03-06-12 at 06:15 PM.
    03-06-12 06:11 PM
    rmah, it should work even then. I just tried with one in the dock.

That makes quite a handful of ways to close folders:

1. tap X on left
    2. tap where X would be on right
    3. swipe left in area between X and title
    4. swipe right in area between title and missing right X
    5. swipe from bottom bezel up at less than 45 degrees towards left bezel
    6. swipe from bottom bezel up at less than 45 degrees towards right bezel
    7. swipe either way sideways along bottom bezel

Note that the last two appear simply to be triggering the #7 behaviour, as you don't actually need to reach either bezel for this to work, nor even enter the screen area.

Also for those who didn't know, tap/hold on the title while open enters edit mode and pops up a dialog to let you rename the folder. You can get there as well if you've entered edit mode (press and hold on any icon until they all start "pulsing") and then simply tap on the title without holding it.
    Ah I see, I just didn't swipe fast enough. I've always just tapped again on the folder (in the dock) and that also closes them.
    03-06-12 06:15 PM
    Ok there's a communication error here:

It appears the person is saying you can tap the right side of the screen on the opposite side of the X. Try it, tap where the X would be if it were on the right.
    03-06-12 08:37 PM
    Yeh, if you start swiping on the bezel where it says Blackberry, then swipe either to the left or right all the way, both work, the folder will close. Being nowhere near the hot spot. Swiping up from the bottom bezel diagonal 45 degrees to the left or right bottom corner, "cutting the corner" also works. So this is beyond tapping a hotspot to close.
    03-06-12 10:59 PM
    +1 for the trick. I'm hooked on this swiping thing.
    03-07-12 03:59 AM
    Cheers guys! Who knew there were so many ways to close a folder :-p
    03-07-12 07:49 AM
    You can also close them using the Android player's back gesture. I generally do it by swiping across the lower-left corner, from bottom bezel to left bezel. But anything up and to the left at under 45 degrees works.
    This.. Is the best advice of my life.
    03-07-12 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD