have there been any rumors or confirmation this is coming? seems like a no brainer to include this. i know i would use it all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 06:42 AM
    I'm not sure. But I REALLY want it.

06-21-11 06:45 AM
    Yup same here!
    06-21-11 07:34 AM
    Same here, It's the only reason I still keep phone out and available.
    06-21-11 07:47 AM
    have there been any rumors or confirmation this is coming? seems like a no brainer to include this. i know i would use it all the time.

Ditto.

RIM could toss us a bone and bring out SMS/texting and auto-correct/spell check.

Tim
    06-21-11 08:10 AM
    The only thing I can think of is that there might be carrier-specific elements to SMS which makes it different to implement than email and bbm. I'd love to be able to SMS from my Playbook. If not, a notification (like when you get a phone call) would be nice.
    06-21-11 10:55 AM
    Agree, even just a notification would be sweet. That can't be too difficult to implement.
    06-21-11 12:10 PM
    Agree, even just a notification would be sweet. That can't be too difficult to implement.
    Easy functionality does not automatically equal easy implementation. What makes you think it would not be difficult?

But I agree, SMS via Bridge is one of those functions that just make too much sense. But as mentioned above, it is essentially tied to the wireless carrier interface like regular phone calls. Hacking into this subsystem (if the code exists yet at all) is opening up a big can of worms.
    06-21-11 12:49 PM
    adding SMS thru bridge should just be as easy as adding BBM...bridge is similar to say citrix where you can view whats on your phone from the PB but your not actually doing anything ON the playbook...that's why we don't have spell check yet...this should have been rolled out when they rolled out BBM.
    06-21-11 01:14 PM
    one way or another it sounds like HP is going to do this when pairing a Pre3 or Veer to their Touchpad. My roommates Galaxy Tab wil text but it has its own dedicated phone number which in my opinion isnt the best way to implement it. To me it seems if any company could pull this off it would be Blackberry with the Bridge software.
    06-21-11 03:13 PM
    In the mean time you can see the link below to send SMS from PlayBook.

How to Send SMS Text Message from BlackBerry PlayBook | Sulata.Mobi
    07-09-11 11:08 AM

Would like to hear how this works for people.......how about replies etc?

whoa!!! $49.99 for this? Not happening!!!!!

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 07-09-11 at 04:22 PM.
    Vidge likes this.
    07-09-11 04:16 PM
    Would like to hear how this works for people.......how about replies etc?

whoa!!! $49.99 for this? Not happening!!!!!

Tim
    Holy cow!!!! $50 my PB better type and send the SMS itself! LOL!!!
    trsbbs likes this.
    07-10-11 11:20 PM
    Phone calls and SMS/MMS is something the carrier deals with RIM has no control over it. SO that being said if they ever do start doing it it more than likely will cost something, and in all honesty who txts anymore anyway??? BBM RULES!! lol
    07-11-11 10:14 AM
    Phone calls and SMS/MMS is something the carrier deals with RIM has no control over it. SO that being said if they ever do start doing it it more than likely will cost something, and in all honesty who txts anymore anyway??? BBM RULES!! lol
    You would think though that someone could build a bridge app for this. BBM does rule but try as I might unfortunately there are still people in my circle with iPhones and android devices...

PG
    07-11-11 11:58 AM
    You would think though that someone could build a bridge app for this. BBM does rule but try as I might unfortunately there are still people in my circle with iPhones and android devices...

PG
    I am surprised no one has by now. gotta be some very smart BB users out there that can do it.
    07-30-11 02:04 PM
    Phone remote, a $3 app, will allow you to send and recieve sms messages from your playbook, however it currently works over wifi, not bluetooth. Bluetooth is supposedly coming once rim releases the neccesar development tools to use it.

How well it works depends on how good your wifi is and how new your phone is. It's pretty laggy for me on my 4 year old $25 router and bold 9000.
    07-30-11 02:20 PM
    keeping my fingers crossed
    07-30-11 05:46 PM
    I want a complete replica of my Bb on my Playbook. Answer calls and the works
    07-30-11 06:28 PM
    isn't there a way to send text messages by email? I haven't done it in years, but I know I used to be able to send emails as text messages.
    07-30-11 06:35 PM
    You can SMS from Google Voice.
    07-30-11 06:35 PM

Cant you just email a cell phone number and it gets to them as a sms? It seems like the receiving is the issue. I don't want to receive emails via text, I want to receive text as a text, on my Playbook.
    09-01-11 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD