Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    187 Global Posts

yup I see the same thing. Glad i'm not the only one.

Can be frustrating to the point that i give up trying to use the PB on this site, which is sad.

works fine on my main machine, so its definitely a PB thing which is really unacceptable on THIS site!
    CrackBerry User

This is the best cb site has ever loaded for me in year and a half of nearly daily use. I love it.
    CrackBerry User

Default Re: Slowness on CB with the Playbook

working great now. thanks cb team!
    Administrator

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Whilst rendering was never great on our PBs it never got to the epic proportions some of you have unfortunately experienced which is why it's been so hard to debug. We tried various iterations of the BlackBerry PB simulator with only limited reproduction of the problems, firmware downgrades etc. We did experience the crashing and load times were crazy on the forum; they have been for ages really as far as I'm aware.

What We Discovered
    OK now things seem a little better here's a quick break down of things we've discovered I'm not going to bother listing the stuff which didn't lead anywhere.

• Some Ad code is badly behaved (enough to tip the PB if its half way busy).
    • Some Flash ads are not finely crafted, most unnecessarily demand the maximum system resources (enough to tip the PB if its half way busy). Removed all for PB visitors.
    • Some JS files load other iframes which then load more JS. It's crazy making sometimes. Removed some.
    • PB doesn't handle large bg images very well; we had a large bg image; loaded via media queries. PB gets a small one.
    • DOM Traversal on the PB can be slow; vB did a lot of that.
    • vB JS code can be expensive on the PB when it's parsing the tree and firing timers all over the place to check up on things. We moved much of this execution to after the page is ready - we don't know the knock on effects of that one.
    • The remote debugger is great - anyone can try it!

Hope you guys enjoy the site now and thanks very much for the feedback and help in tracking down these issues.

Looking forward to trying the BB10 betas on the PB...

~Steph
    Thanked by 8:
    bambinoitaliano (03-09-2013),  CJH315 (03-09-2013),  D_March (03-08-2013),  helopilot06 (03-09-2013),  James Falconer (03-09-2013),  malcerie (03-08-2013),  vorpalz (03-09-2013) 
    James Falconer and D_March like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have turned my flash and Java script back on and all is well. Thanks everyone.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,056 Global Posts

I never had issue with old cb site, was fast loading for me.

The cb app though for PB I wish gets update as I not like it's interface and overall design, but it us fast to use.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    New Phone: Iphone 4s, Old Phones: Blackberry Z10, Samsung Galaxy S3 (Sold), Iphone 4 (Used By Family)
    LTE Playbook 32gb (Dec 2012), OS version is 1753.
    On Rogers Service

"When in doubt, buy a laptop"
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    706 Global Posts

I'm really dissatisfied with the performance and layout of the new rollout.

So much so, I may not visit for a while until this gets sorted out. Hope this gets optimized for PC and PB. Last few days, bloatware and ad mess. Totally silly for my use.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,397 Global Posts

This is working so fast for me now and I love the tablet and mobile views on my playbook and 9900 respectively. Thanks again.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/3743309452_9ced721c82.jpg

Default Re: Slowness on CB with the Playbook

The site has been slow for a lilltle while, even on the PC. I know it's not my PlayBook because other sites are speedy.
    Jesus Saves
    CrackBerry User

I have to say that now the new site is up and running, WOW, what a difference! Fast, slick and no checkerboarding!! Love it.

A shout out to everyone who worked their butts off solving the issues. Well done and thank you.

I don't mind the ad panel, it helps pay the bills and allows me to enjoy hours of reading entertainment for free. Nice touch to be able to hide it though.
    To make things difficult is easy.
    To make things easy is often difficult!

Love my Playbook
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    531 Global Posts

My playbook now works fine on crackberry, Z10 is a beast though, I don't even use my playbook lol

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks Kevin. I had issues for a moment shortly after the site went live. But I restarted my PB and i've been good to go so far. Loading doesnt appear to much of an issue. Considering i'm tethered to a 9670 on the "Now Network" it's loading pretty good. One thing I have noticed is an issue leaving comments. If I need to make a correction I need to 'backspace' to the error spot, rather than just use the directional arrows to move there. When doing it that way the cursor gets 'lost' and then it suddenly shows up 'somewhere.'
    CrackBerry Genius

forums. address loads well,,, t. address is loading & rendering well now & may be even a bit faster than forums.,,, impossible to login on either,,, takes too long before i just shut it off,,, only good CB mobile is, for me, is for browsing,,, not logging in or posting,,, been waiting for login to clear since i started typing this & i still have "please wait",,, it's always been that way for me & my PB whether cache is clear or not...
    "THE GUY YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!"

I'M ON MY OWN IGNORE LIST===

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."

9850+PlayBook=WIN!!!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    747 Global Posts

You guys are great with the updates. I tried the t.crackberry.com site and it is BLAZING FAST. I have not even noticed any checkerboarding which is a first for the site. Amazing work
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I posted the 17 minute load times this morning, and tonight, all is well. Thanks for the fix. I do agree with the other post about the font not being optimal, but the Page is highly usable again. Thanks much!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skoenig View Post
    Whilst rendering was never great on our PBs it never got to the epic proportions some of you have unfortunately experienced which is why it's been so hard to debug. We tried various iterations of the BlackBerry PB simulator with only limited reproduction of the problems, firmware downgrades etc. We did experience the crashing and load times were crazy on the forum; they have been for ages really as far as I'm aware.

[SIZE=5]What We Discovered
    OK now things seem a little better here's a quick break down of things we've discovered I'm not going to bother listing the stuff which didn't lead anywhere.

• Some Ad code is badly behaved (enough to tip the PB if its half way busy).This has probably always been the case
    • Some Flash ads are not finely crafted, most unnecessarily demand the maximum system resources (enough to tip the PB if its half way busy). Removed all for PB visitors.Likewise
    • Some JS files load other iframes which then load more JS. It's crazy making sometimes. Removed some.Likewise
    • PB doesn't handle large bg images very well; we had a large bg image; loaded via media queries. PB gets a small one.Meh
    • DOM Traversal on the PB can be slow; vB did a lot of that.Wha?
    • vB JS code can be expensive on the PB when it's parsing the tree and firing timers all over the place to check up on things. We moved much of this execution to after the page is ready - we don't know the knock on effects of that one.Nice move
    • The remote debugger is great - anyone can try it!

Hope you guys enjoy the site now and thanks very much for the feedback and help in tracking down these issues.

Looking forward to trying the BB10 betas on the PB...

~Steph
    Too bad all your sleuthing will be rendered moot once PB10 hits. Nice work nonetheless and it bespeaks the power of the OS.

One obvious thing remains however. You tracked the sonofabitch and killed it but you cacked big time on the release. First time is everything in my line of work.* You learn your fundamentals and practice them before you go. When to go is the decision and you went off half cocked.

Fix the font, please. It is illogical. Fix the "t" version. The PB has bezel scrolling and the Crack Berry "t" version has lots of wasted real estate. I'll be using the regular site like a civilized person who owns a PlayBook with a desktop like browser would be expected to. No app, etc, should be required.

Nice fix though. Congrats. You care and that counts for everything in my profession.* The site is working better than it ever has. Thanks and I'll buy the whiskey.

*I'm not being redundant. Both refer to the same ethos.
    CrackBerry User

Thanks Steph!
    Jay
    Administrator

Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

@irrebkcalB Thanks for the feedback I'll pass it on.

~Steph
    Thanked by:
    dphjeff (03-09-2013) 
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by skoenig View Post
    @irrebkcalB Thanks for the feedback I'll pass it on.

~Steph
    It was an interesting experience. The OS is dogged which can be a problem because as long as resources are allotted to it it will go after something like a dog on a bone. It seemed like there were cycles If you hit a cycle at a nodal point, all would be well. If you didn’t, there would be nothing but stalling and freezing. Seems you might have broken the feedback loop that had been bedeviling CB.com for quite some time even on lap tops.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts

Good job on the fixes, navigating the forums is now a pleasant exercise. I get the feeling that a lot of the headaches were already present for quite a while and we just put up with it until this tipping point brought it to light.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Great work on fixing the PB site loading issue.
    Site is now much more user friendly and efficient.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Don't know what you did Kevin but the site is flying now!!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    11,805 Global Posts
    PIN
    USN - CDR
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #148  

Perfect thank you all at Crackberry. May I also thank you for the way the team responded to the problems. We were all kept informed every step of the way and asked for our views on speed several times by the team. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!!!

The RIM team could learn a lot from this. Perhaps you should run some training courses for them and teach them how to respond to user issues like your team has.
    "We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow Across that angry or that glimmering sea​"
    CrackBerry User

This is like night and day compared to last night. I have to say, this is one of the best designed websites I have seen. I would list what I love about itl but it's basically everything. And although last night it was slow as molasses on my PB, today it is loading everything, including the forums, very quicklly. Good Job.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    590 Global Posts
    PIN
    just ask!! i,ll bbm if i like ye !!

Moved onto the t.crackberry.com site massive difference loving it
    DAVESHIZ BB Z10 -BB PLAYBOOK -iIPHONE5S
    Away over to the dark side for a wee while

USING CB10 ON MY Z10
    Jeezo 500 posts already!!!
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast