Recently moved out and am paying for my parents' cable and my old room's cable box, which is now no longer in use. I'd like to use Slingbox or some alternative to get TV from that cable box onto the PB... searching the web I see the creators of Slingbox have no intention of go that direction so I was wondering if there's an alternative?
    02-19-12 11:41 PM
    None what so ever. I have been searching for this for over a year now without any success. Oh and by the way I have been beta testing for sling for about 3 years now.
    02-19-12 11:48 PM
    I am using a Monsoon Vulkano along with the app Splashtop Remote Desktop HD running on my PlayBook to remotely view my desktop on my PlayBook as it streams my cable. The only downside to this setup is that is requires a PC to always be on and connected to the internet. Had a Slingbox previously, but their terrible service/support made me look elsewhere.
    02-20-12 03:45 AM
    I wish RIM would just release their own TV product doing what an AppleTV can do, be a dlna adapter to a tv, and incorporate Slingbox-like functionality tied to your BlackberryID. Throw in some dvr just for the heck of it . I have a slingbox but the company doesn't seem to be doing much especially since Dish Network bought them. I have no loyalty to sling, but need a box that does that functionality.
    02-20-12 07:43 AM
    The wife just got me a Slingbox about a week ago..and it's been working great with my Gnex. Hearing about the lack of support makes me hope nothing goes wrong with it lol..and I too wish they had something for the PB, as i've already got the cables and whatnot to stream to my tv while i'm on the road working. But alas, it was a no go..so i've got an adaptor cable ordered for my Gnex so I can hook it up to the tv. The hotel I was in didn't get Fuel TV the other night when UFC was on, so it was nice to just be able to watch it direct from my satellite at home on my Gnex.
    02-20-12 07:51 AM
    I've been using splashtop to view my slingbox on my playbook. There is no buffering, so the video can be choppy at times, but its not too bad. It at least allows me to use the slingbox since they stopped supporting any new blackberry devices. I hope that the android version eventually works when OS 2.0 is released.
    02-20-12 08:20 AM
    You can use Orb but you will need a computer with a TV Tuner card. The app is free for the PlayBook and so is the desktop software.
    02-20-12 09:00 AM
    I am using a Monsoon Vulkano along with the app Splashtop Remote Desktop HD running on my PlayBook to remotely view my desktop on my PlayBook as it streams my cable. The only downside to this setup is that is requires a PC to always be on and connected to the internet. Had a Slingbox previously, but their terrible service/support made me look elsewhere.
    There was a nice sale on the Vulkano's the other day that I missed on a price that's already lower than the Slingbox. How is the quality, support and overall performance of the device? What made you settle on the Vulkano?
    02-20-12 09:38 AM
    There was a nice sale on the Vulkano's the other day that I missed on a price that's already lower than the Slingbox. How is the quality, support and overall performance of the device? What made you settle on the Vulkano?
    The Slingbox build quality and terrible support did it in for me. Not only did their BB support suck(no device support past OS 5) there was tons of boxes failing due faulty hardware(blown capacitors) and sling basically did nothing unless you bought an extended warranty. The forum thread was massive with people having the same issue but Sling would never acknowledge the issue. Just told people to call tech support and buy a warranty if it was past 90 days. Yes, their standard warranty is only 90 days. Vulkano is 1 year. They eventually deleted the tread because it was hurting their image. Luckily the new Vulkano products were released shortly after the issue arrived and I jumped ship. The Vulkano offers a ton more features for less than a Slingbox and the image quality is better as well. The only place Sling has them beat is on the size of the box. The Vulkano has a much larger footprint, but it does offer more as well.
    Last edited by bighap; 02-20-12 at 02:05 PM.
    02-20-12 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD