Hey hey Crackberry family.

Has anyone tried to side-load Skype on to their playbook since 2.0 rolled out this morning?
    I would try it my self but I'm stuck at work right now.

Thanks
    02-21-12 03:08 PM
    ok so Ive done some research and it will work. i just want the .bar file for skype, i really dont have the time to convert the .apk

really over 100 views no replies?
    02-21-12 09:14 PM
    im not sure it will work.
    from my understanding there is not much difference from the beta and actual release in terms of the android run time, and it DID NOT work in the beta
    soulholic likes this.
    02-21-12 09:18 PM
    skype will work but no video chat,
    02-21-12 09:30 PM
    yea... thats what i meant
    02-21-12 09:30 PM
    The video chat link was broken in the dev beta. Has anyone tried it since it was restored? I don't use skype, so I wouldn't know.
    02-21-12 09:31 PM
    Does audio work?
    02-21-12 09:33 PM
    Skype still doesn't work, I had the same issue as with the beta. Let me know if you would like me to post the bar file, the only difference may be that I didn't security wipe before upgrading this morning.
    02-21-12 09:33 PM
    damn, it would really nice if we could get this working
    what about qik video?
    02-21-12 09:38 PM
    Posting the bar file might be nice.
    loth likes this.
    02-21-12 11:03 PM
    I took the time to download the Android and AIR SDK's, and registered for signing keys with RIM. So if you've got an APK file, I can port it into a BAR and try it on my PlayBook.

All I really care about is the calling/audio anyways. Yeah, video would be nice, but it doesn't matter too much to me.
    02-22-12 12:40 PM
    Still surprised no one has tried porting Qik or Tango.
    02-22-12 12:47 PM
    *moan* *groan* we already have that

www.imo.im
    02-22-12 01:15 PM
    I took the time to download the Android and AIR SDK's, and registered for signing keys with RIM. So if you've got an APK file, I can port it into a BAR and try it on my PlayBook.

All I really care about is the calling/audio anyways. Yeah, video would be nice, but it doesn't matter too much to me.
    how can i send you a sling player apk to convert?
    02-22-12 01:40 PM
    that would nice to see native skype, but still no luck

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    inzpirez likes this.
    02-22-12 01:43 PM
    I use Comewave, for $20/year for 3,000 minutes I am a happy camper. It's very stable, crystal clear and makes people look at me strange while I use it in time Hortons.
    02-22-12 02:22 PM
    Skype still doesn't work, I had the same issue as with the beta. Let me know if you would like me to post the bar file, the only difference may be that I didn't security wipe before upgrading this morning.
    Sorry, haven't been following the Skype issues. What works and what doesn't? And I guess there's no point in me or any of us converting the APK on our own, cause we all go through the same process to do it.

how can i send you a sling player apk to convert?
    Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I don't have the time to convert APK's for others. Just download the SDK's and you can convert any APK yourself. There are two tutorial threads in the Sideloading forum...from the point I started reading the instructions, I had converted my first APK in about 45 minutes. Its really not that difficult.
    02-22-12 02:46 PM
    Sorry, haven't been following the Skype issues. What works and what doesn't? And I guess there's no point in me or any of us converting the APK on our own, cause we all go through the same process to do it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but I don't have the time to convert APK's for others. Just download the SDK's and you can convert any APK yourself. There are two tutorial threads in the Sideloading forum...from the point I started reading the instructions, I had converted my first APK in about 45 minutes. Its really not that difficult.

In the past, chat and audio have worked, no video (same as imo.im talking to someone using the Skype application).

I tried the latest Skype apk last night, couldn't get past login.
    02-22-12 02:53 PM
    In the past, chat and audio have worked, no video (same as imo.im talking to someone using the Skype application).

I tried the latest Skype apk last night, couldn't get past login.
    Same here. I press "Sign In" and it says Skype has crashed *sigh*
    02-22-12 02:58 PM
    did anyone try with the os 2.0.1 update?
    04-23-12 05:42 AM
    Has anyone tried this yet on 2.1?
    10-03-12 04:06 PM
    Has anyone tried this yet on 2.1?
    Pulling out a 7 month old post??
    I haven't tried but It will NOT work..
    wired cleric likes this.
    10-03-12 09:18 PM
    I've been reading through these forums for a number of days and have been looking for a summary of why skype won't work from a technical perspective. I understand we are unlikely to get a native app but then why won't and android APK work?
    In 2.1 if android apps are allowed access to the cams why won't this now work (again not expecting magic but looking for the technical reason)

Also i see that people are using a Skype (Beta) APK (converted to BAR?) Would a more up to date APK like 2.9.0.315 work once converted, or does it have to be specifically the beta version? As I have read the Beta APK had none of these features (video and audio) built in so it would be illogical for them to work with or without an update

Cheerio my good people!
    10-03-12 09:36 PM
    Is the issue because our Android player is compatible with Gingerbread apps and not Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean?

Great, now I'm hungry!
    wired cleric likes this.
    10-03-12 09:58 PM
    I've been reading through these forums for a number of days and have been looking for a summary of why skype won't work from a technical perspective. I understand we are unlikely to get a native app but then why won't and android APK work?
    In 2.1 if android apps are allowed access to the cams why won't this now work (again not expecting magic but looking for the technical reason)

Also i see that people are using a Skype (Beta) APK (converted to BAR?) Would a more up to date APK like 2.9.0.315 work once converted, or does it have to be specifically the beta version? As I have read the Beta APK had none of these features (video and audio) built in so it would be illogical for them to work with or without an update

Cheerio my good people!
    Is the issue because our Android player is compatible with Gingerbread apps and not Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean?

Great, now I'm hungry!

The problem is that Skype obviously uses native libraries.. Which will not work with the Playbook App player cos the app player is just a modified Dalvik VM.. So anything that will run will have to be in purely java code for android.. Not using the native libraries..
    This has been discussed in detail over many forum posts under Skype and Netflix..
    wired cleric likes this.
    10-03-12 11:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD