Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rjedge54
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28ECE16D
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Skype Replacing Messenger - Effect on Playbook OS-BB10?

I received an email at work today from Microsoft Live @EDU program which we are partnered with for student email confirming what most people expected with the MS purchase of Skype. MS has confirmed not only that Skype will be replacing Messenger, but that messenger will be retired by the first quarter of 2013. More info and the official announcement is available at Skype is Replacing Messenger for Instant Messaging and Presence - Office 365 Technical Blog - Office 365 - Microsoft Office 365 Community. While this was expected, the speed at which they are going to retire Live Messenger is somewhat surprising and underscore further the need for a Skype client for the Playbook OS and BB 10. Maybe not right away but certainly by the first quarter of 2013. It will be interesting to see how the timing of this works out for both the BB10 phones and the Playbook OS.
    Last edited by rjedge54; 11-07-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Richard
    BlackBerry Z30 10.2.1.537 / 64 GB PlayBook (mine, all mine) - 16 GB PlayBook (possible dev)
    BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Skype Replacing Messenger - Effect on Playbook OS-BB10?

I haven't used Skype before. Does Skype have text message options (like Messenger), or does this mean it is video only communication?

Skype can do IM text, SMS text, cell/landlines calls, voice and video chat.

It is very hard to say right now... We have no idea if there will be a Skype app for BB10...

Microsoft and RIM aren't strangers. We've been seeing BING slowly replacing Google as a default, out of the box, search engine (thankfully we can manually change that) and the PlayBook does come with Bing Maps.

RIM has been pushing hard with developers and partnerships for BB10. All we can do is hope. You never know... The HTML5 built-in Skype for outlook.com may simply work on BB10's browser for all we know...
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

Thanked by:
    BerryClever (11-07-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28ECE16D
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Yes, Skype has text messaging. In fact that is the only part of Skype that you can use on the Playbook. There are several apps in App World that allow you to use the text messaging capabilities of Skype, just nothing for the video capabilities.
    Richard
    BlackBerry Z30 10.2.1.537 / 64 GB PlayBook (mine, all mine) - 16 GB PlayBook (possible dev)
    Thanked by:
    BerryClever (11-07-2012) 

And bit hard to do video over compressed NOC data and without front facing cameras. The way I see it, a good number of people don't really mind that, what they want it the VoIP capabilities.

But then again, that too will be solved by BB10. It will just be a matter of "is there an app for skype?".
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Abuser

Interesting! Thank you for sharing!
    CrackBerry Abuser

BlackBerry can use Oovoo and it will be a nice alternative to skype.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Can we? Nice!

Just one question though, how many millions of users does oovoo have? Are all our friends there? What does it offer that will convince them to install yet another app?

Okay, sorry... Make it three questions. But they are honest ones.

Edit: I don't see support for any BlackBerry device anywhere in the oovoo homepage...

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Makes sense. After all, WLM and Skype now pretty much overlap features, and Skype probably has a better following, especially with people who pay for added services (like Skype-In and Skype-Out).

I don't think it will affect BB10 at all. It already sounds like RIM has a deal in place with M$, so there may be some cross-platform communication built in, sort of like AOL (and others) linking into FaceBook Chat and such. BBM will still probably be its own entity that goes through the NOC. If Skype is built in, then it will probably be like SMS messaging currently being able to be added to the BBM list.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    Can we? Nice!

Yes we can! ^^

And no, I'm not Obama.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    CrackBerry Addict

Oh so Skype is going to be like BBM on BB10. How nice for them.

BBM Channel C0006F5A6
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    331A5FF3

We're able to get skype on our BlackBerrys now arent we? The question is will it have video chat capabilities on BB10?
    Sent From My BlackBerry Bold 9930
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Skype Replacing Messenger - Effect on Playbook OS-BB10?

i would Surely like to know is Skype going to work on my PlayBook since its going to Replace Messenger??????

LET US PRAY!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skype Replacing Messenger - Effect on Playbook OS-BB10?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts
    PIN
    24C39500 Have a Z10 and Lovin' It

I don't use Skype very often nor BBM. But I'm sure that someone could build an app, native or not, that is capable of connecting to all of the different communication channels similar to those used in Linux, ie: Kopete, Pidgin. People stuck in the Windows environment don't really know what is out there for use.

In this day and age of technological changes and capabilities, I can't see why this is a big problem for BB10/Playbook. Surely there is a developer out there that can get with it and design something.
    Last edited by PowderJockey; 11-08-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    There is no "Crtl+Z" in life.
    Z10 Rocks! BlackBerry 10 for the person on the move.
    Z10 Version 10.3.0.296/442 Playbook Version 2.1.0.1917

Twitter BBM Channel C0002C37C
    #IChooseBlackberry10