I know this maybe a little bit of a stretch but to everyone who wishes, wants, needs or must have skype.....

Why did you buy a device without Skype?
    I would pay good money for RIM to put that on the front page of their website, with links to tabs and platforms that have Skype. That'll show the pesky buggers where to take their griping...
    kennyliu and jivegirl14 like this.
    04-24-12 11:59 AM
    Hold on...

My job, which I would humbly describe as extremely crucial to the small demographic I serve, demands that I have to do face-to-face meetings with people who need me at any given time. These people are quite mobile themselves, and more than once, a "face-to-face" talk has been the difference between life or death. Literally.

I am not NASA, and don't have the backing of a Super PAC or lobbyists. My yearly budget is laughably small. So every tech device I have has to be worth every dollar, and has to be very functional.

There are plenty of other small time professionals like me who use mobile technology in this way. The lack of a serious videochat client makes the adoption of the PB hard to justify. Everyone lost to another platform make the PB long-term viability less assured.
    If thats the case, I have to question your business acumen if you purchased a PB. If you MUST video chat with clients while on the run (in your car, at the park, someplace where a laptop and internet connection is vacant?), and the majority of your clients use a flashless mobile device where AOL/AV or the other flash and web based vid chat alternatives won't work, then I think it's high time you invest in another tablet or risk losing quality in your work.

Nor do I think your extreme case is the norm. Most of the begging for these particular apps are simply "they have it, so I must need it too". There are plenty of other "tools" PB needs to get up to speed on before this IMO. I am also expecting these things only once Cascasdes is released, so begging now is futile.
    04-24-12 12:07 PM
    04-24-12 12:09 PM
    my next rim device depends on if they get skype or not.
    04-24-12 12:12 PM
    If thats the case, I have to question your business acumen if you purchased a PB. If you MUST video chat with clients while on the run (in your car, at the park, someplace where a laptop and internet connection is vacant?), and the majority of your clients use a flashless mobile device where AOL/AV or the other flash and web based vid chat alternatives won't work, then I think it's high time you invest in another tablet or risk losing quality in your work.

Nor do I think your extreme case is the norm. Most of the begging for these particular apps are simply "they have it, so I must need it too". There are plenty of other "tools" PB needs to get up to speed on before this IMO. I am also expecting these things only once Cascasdes is released, so begging now is futile.
    LOL.

My clients are generally troubled kids on iPod Touches and smartphones with FFCs. Kids and young adults dealing with broken homes, bullying and self-esteem issues. Some who get hazed for their sexuality.

Basically, regular people who need someone to talk to at 2am because they see no reason to live after being drugged and molested.

Skype, ooVoo and Google Chat are not toys to me. They are MAJOR job tools that help me get stuff done. For folks (like you) who question the business acumen of others, anything less than high end video equipment won't suffice.

For the small timers like me, Skype via EVO is the gift that keeps on giving.

I do agree that Skype is not the most pressing issue for the PB.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-24-12 12:34 PM
    Considering the complaints in this thread about misleading tweets and lack of skype I'm a bit hesitant to post this but here goes:

Couple of conversations people have had with Alec Saunders today, first is a conclusion of a conversation about skype's absence - this may be his way of hinting that it's coming - he has another conversation later about how it's up to other companies to announce their products. Alternately, he means what he says, and he just hopes it will come.

The second is a more general response about absence of big name apps:

04-24-12 01:33 PM
    I don't know, you should ask the makers of PS Vita...they seemed to think Skype was important to their gaming hardware...

A bit ironic, isn't it?
    And if a customer seemed to think Skype was important to them, they'd buy a PSVita. Seems pretty simple to me...
    04-24-12 01:34 PM
    And if a customer seemed to think Skype was important to them, they'd buy a PSVita. Seems pretty simple to me...
    Or a Torch 9850 on Verizon. Lol- apparently I have Skype on my phone. Not that I will ever use it. I don't want anyone seeing me most of the time when I am on the phone and believe me -they don't want to see me either. For some reason I get most calls when I am either going into -or coming out of the shower- or when I just have to use the restroom. lol Don't need any company there.
    04-24-12 02:55 PM
    Let me sum this up from what i see in this and many other Skype posts:
    1. The playbook does not have skype available to it.
    2. Other tablets and OS do.
    3. Doesn't look like the Playbook will get it or any other video chat service soon beyond the PB to PB we have now.
    4. Some people would like to see some form of video chat that will cross platform.
    5. Some people don't need or care if video chat is on the PB or not.

For those who need it or want it now you will need to find an alternative
    For those who don't care don't worry about it.

Can we please at least stop posting threads and discussing what we already know we don't have and some want.
    Spencerdl, grumpa and musical1806 like this.
    04-24-12 04:29 PM
    LOL.

Basically, regular people who need someone to talk to at 2am because they see no reason to live after being drugged and molested.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    So where the heck are you at 2 am that you can't Skype from a laptop/desktop?
    musical1806 likes this.
    04-24-12 05:00 PM
    There was a job posting on a Microsoft website. It looks like they are making a web based version of Skype. So at some point everyone will have Skype, just a matter of time.
    Won't happen, web version will use the VP8 video codec. Currently RIM does not support this. Either the PB gets a video codec update or an APP is written to support the hi-def Skype codec of H264.

The web version, IMHO, will support only the more effective VP8 codec as it 1: involves less data weight in a stream and is 2: fast becoming the leading contender for the default HTML5 video codec.

The app wont get written and I cant see VP8 coming to the PB soon.
    04-24-12 05:21 PM
    Won't happen, web version will use the VP8 video codec. Currently RIM does not support this. Either the PB gets a video codec update or an APP is written to support the hi-def Skype codec of H264.

The web version, IMHO, will support only the more effective VP8 codec as it 1: involves less data weight in a stream and is 2: fast becoming the leading contender for the default HTML5 video codec.

The app wont get written and I cant see VP8 coming to the PB soon.
    Even if they manage to support the Skype codecs, Skype will block the user agent for the default browser.
    04-24-12 05:40 PM
    I dont want web based access to skype anyway... unless the PB gets a real client it wont satisfy me. Keeping a browser open in order for colleagues, clients, friends and family to see me as available to call is daft and a nonsense.

Personally I don't see Skype coming until the OS is finalised... if at all.

So you may be right, user agents can be faked on the PB anyway as I'm sure you know by the use of the term 'default browser'.
    04-24-12 05:52 PM
    Seriously, I don't know why you bother. I'm waiting on someone to infer that the PB doesn't need to have Skype because you have legs... why don't you just walk to the person and say hello?
    Lol, thanks for the laugh...I'm sure that excuse will pop up here sooner or later...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-24-12 05:55 PM
    Bottom line....how society communicates has changed and RIM hasn't....period. I like BlackBerry, but it is what it is. IMO, RIM needs to do everything in its power to pursued Skype to develop for BlackBerry devices. If Skype was that important to me, I would switch devices in a heartbeat, but it's not.
    Hgouck likes this.
    04-24-12 06:06 PM
    yet another pointless thread that needs to be locked. or deleted.

this is pretty much trolling.
    04-24-12 07:28 PM
    I don't know, you should ask the makers of PS Vita...they seemed to think Skype was important to their gaming hardware...

A bit ironic, isn't it?
    Baaaam.... There it is in a nutshell. Well said. PS vita gets it and the world's first professional grade tablet cant? Wont surprise me to hear it gets kindle and netflix too.
    Yaceka likes this.
    04-24-12 07:38 PM
    $hitz!!!! I need to get myself a PSP Vita!!! This sounds awesome and great to see a gaming console have apps, like Skype.
    Last edited by rupam95; 04-24-12 at 07:57 PM.
    04-24-12 07:48 PM
    yet another pointless thread that needs to be locked. or deleted.

this is pretty much trolling.
    LOOK! Nobody made you come here OK?

It's not like creating a new thread is going to cause a huge decrease in space storage or cause the apocalypse.

Damn, if you don't like the news then don't post anything or say crap like that. Finally, it's not a pointless thread since i didn't know Skype was available for PSP Vita until now.

So yea, Shut The.....You know the rest.
    04-24-12 07:55 PM
    I have never used Skype. I don't like talking on the phone, much less do i want to see the people i'm talking to.

I cancelled netflix after 5 months of crummy movies and boring tv shows.

I have no idea what slingshot is.

BUT I would really like to have a native pdf annotator.
    Oh, and Skype or Netflix if only to shut ppl up about Skype and Netflix.
    grumpa likes this.
    04-24-12 08:18 PM
    We got angry birds today.

Want to Skype a Video Call on Your PS Vita? Now You Can | Techland | TIME.com

This must be the definition of adding insult to injury.
    This means nothing. Sony has had a long standing relationship with Skype. Skype has been available on Vita's predecessor, PSP, for a few years now so it makes sense that they made available on the Vita only a few months after its release.
    04-24-12 08:22 PM
    LOL.

My clients are generally troubled kids on iPod Touches and smartphones with FFCs. Kids and young adults dealing with broken homes, bullying and self-esteem issues. Some who get hazed for their sexuality.

Skype, ooVoo and Google Chat are not toys to me. They are MAJOR job tools that help me get stuff done. For folks (like you) who question the business acumen of others, anything less than high end video equipment won't suffice.

For the small timers like me, Skype via EVO is the gift that keeps on giving.

I do agree that Skype is not the most pressing issue for the PB.

Mobile post via Tapatalk

Your business is not alone. According to Microsoft, about 35% of Skype callers utilize it for business purposes. And Skype comprises about 20-35% (over the last few years) of the entire long distance/international call market.

Edit: The higher ed institution I work for also heavily uses Skype. For job interviews, online conferences, thesis defense, faculty collaboration, etc. We do have Adobe Connect in our disposal, but people don't use it as much.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-24-12 at 09:14 PM.
    04-24-12 08:49 PM
    Your business is not alone. According to Microsoft, about 35% of Skype callers utilize it for business purposes. And Skype comprises about 20-35% (over the last few years) of the entire long distance/international call market.
    Oh wow. Sounds very "toyish."
    04-24-12 08:54 PM
    just because "you" personally don't use something doesnt mean the platform doesn't need it, end of story...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CrackBerry Forums App!
    04-24-12 08:59 PM
    04-24-12 09:18 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD